Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

Years of Experience

Default Re: I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

I've got a vloc pro 2, I think almost two years no problems yet (knock on wood.) But the first one I had was always breaking. I think they have gotten better lately. They locate much better than the RD's.

Years of Experience

Default Re: I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

We use the rycom 8879 and 8870. I prefer the 8870 but the 8879 gives you the low, medium and high frequency. We like the subsites model 950 as well and those have like 5 frequencies which would be good for a starter. Since you can get either of the two up above for $1000 to $2000 less then a rd 8000 I wouldnt rule them out. That also includes a ring clamp which usually run $400 used not cheap. If you want to be cheap you can get an older model 75 subsite for like 600 bucks and we still use those as backup to the 950's

Years of Experience

What are the downfalls of the rycoms? I know they have a smaller screen but I've heard a lot of good things..why the 8870 over the 8879?
    Last edited by Kyle C; November 12th, 2015 at 10:31 PM.

Years of Experience

for me the 8870 just feels right, but it only has a low(815 hz) and high(82 khz) frequency. The receiver on for the 8870 or at least mine isnt very good with the 50/60hz cycle power mode. I locate phone, fiber, power, and lp and rarely need anything else to do so. The 8879 is probably better obviously because you get another frequency(8khz) and I like the ring clamp for it, it has a button on it you can switch between 8 and 82, just seems to be the best clamp ive had the most success with. Ill say I like the ergonomic of it over others as well. Its much lighter then the subsite and im assuming the older rd's or metrotechs, both the reciever and transmitter. We just picked up two rycom 8879 from a guy in arizona, i think they were around 1400 with the clamp, leads, and ground rod. IDK how often you will be using it but youll have an option for rechargeable battery pack or D batteries. Plus side to rechareable is its cheaper, but with batteries as long as you always have extras you wont be left with a dead machine when you show up on site. I get about 3 days locating with the rechargeable pack then i recharge but its hasnt been dead yet. The transmitter is heavier and taller with the rechargeable battery as well. I have yet to break a receiver with either subsite or rycom. Basically for the price of these things, if its your face hitting the ground or breaking a receiver I would rather have the cut chin.

Years of Experience

I havent noticed anything wrong with the size of the screen since I mostly locate by sound. They only give you depths up to 15 feet where as others like subsite ive gotten fibers buried under new overpasses to give me a depth up to 33ft. The 8879 has a sonde locate mode and 8870 does not and we dont use it so idk how well it works. With the rycom transmitter 8870 when you direct connect you dont get a beeping sound to let you know how good of a ground you got, it just has a blinking arrow and the faster it blinks the better the ground. The 8879 has the sound and same thing faster the sound better the ground and its automatic you just connect turn on and go. You also have a high setting to up the Watts/amps/? to help push through broken connections or like for me ive used it with broken tracer wires(LIKE less then 22 gauge wire) on fiber drops. If you need more from it like bluetooth or more frequencies i have had no experience with the newest rycom which is probably like the newest subsite, where you can personalize the frequencies to whatever you want withing the range they have.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    How old is your VlocPro? I am on my third receiver in a month. It works as long as you give a jar now and then so it receives the signal.

The transmitters is designed so that the slightest sprinkle of rain pools in the faceplate where it seeps in and knocks out the transmitter until it drys out over night.
    Two years and not a problem yet. I broke it in during the polar vortex winter of 2013/14. I keep mine in a waterproof bag so I don't know about moisture. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one but if I were to buy one, I'd pick Vloc Pro 2.
    Kyle C likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    I know Vivax's reputation but the new Metrotech Vloc Pro is one of the most accurate and durable locators I've used since the 810. RD 7000 and 8000 are great too. They are lightweight but sacrificed durability.
    youre right....I own one myself and love it. It gets stuff that is deeper than my 8000 will. It will get stuff going under tracks way better than my 8000. inducing is amazing with it also.
    Kyle C likes this.

Years of Experience

Cheapest and most reliable would be 2 coat hangers bent into an L shape. Walk slowly over where you think the target facility is when they turn towards each other BINGO !!! . If that doesn't work I have always found that a sacrificed bucket of chicken wings to the locate Gods works just as well.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Ha-ha :-D I'll have to give that a try

Years of Experience

Thanks for all the great info. Can't wait to check them out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12