Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

Years of Experience

Default I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

New to this site and new to locating, looking for any advice on what locator to buy (looking at rycom 8879), how how large of a transmitter do I need? Also, any classes worth taking?

Years of Experience

Default Re: I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

Good Luck bud !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default Re: I've been looking for a site like this! Looking to start locating, advice on classes, equipment, etc..

Sarcasm? Lol, could you elaborate?

Years of Experience
    3 years

I believe most locating companies provide equipment and training for the job. And trying to get a job as a new guy right before winter may be difficult depending on your location.

Years of Experience

I'm actually an electrician looking to start on the side. I work a 4-10's schedule and have a little free time, and alot of drive. So I will actually be starting my own business. I've priced insurance and equipment, but getting mixed opinions on whether I need a 5 watt transmitter or if 3 is plenty. I've done some locating on remodel jobs and I really liked it so I thought I would give it a shot. Start slow and go from there.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C View Post
    Sarcasm? Lol, could you elaborate?
    I was being nice .
    daman1 and Mke like this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Ok. Well thanks! :-) I thought maybe you were just teasing a rookie. I see you have quite a bit of experience, are there certain threads on the site that might be beneficial to check out? I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Years of Experience

Rycom wouldn't be my first pick imo you can't go wrong with a RD 8000. You can get good used units on ebay pretty cheap. 3 watt should be fine for most of what you would be doing.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Great, I will look them up. Thanks for your reply!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C View Post
    Ok. Well thanks! :-) I thought maybe you were just teasing a rookie. I see you have quite a bit of experience, are there certain threads on the site that might be beneficial to check out? I'm still trying to figure it all out.
    yes . private locate threads .

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site. There are many good threads here. Search for the keyword you are interested in and you should run across them. I believe there are some threads on starting your own locating business.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

For locate equipment RD (Radio Detection) makes a fine line. I would stay away from ViVax, fine for light use but not durable. Consider some used older equipment for back up should your main equipment go on the fritz. Old stuff like the MetroTech (now owned by ViVax) 810 is a good all around locator. Also the old PipeHorn, takes time to learn to use it right.

Years of Experience

Great information you guys, thanks a bunch. I am supposed to be getting a RD demo in the next week or so. I plan on buying something and getting comfortable with it then going on eBay and buying a second.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    For locate equipment RD (Radio Detection) makes a fine line. I would stay away from ViVax, fine for light use but not durable. Consider some used older equipment for back up should your main equipment go on the fritz. Old stuff like the MetroTech (now owned by ViVax) 810 is a good all around locator. Also the old PipeHorn, takes time to learn to use it right.
    I know Vivax's reputation but the new Metrotech Vloc Pro is one of the most accurate and durable locators I've used since the 810. RD 7000 and 8000 are great too. They are lightweight but sacrificed durability.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    I know Vivax's reputation but the new Metrotech Vloc Pro is one of the most accurate and durable locators I've used since the 810. RD 7000 and 8000 are great too. They are lightweight but sacrificed durability.
    How old is your VlocPro? I am on my third receiver in a month. It works as long as you give a jar now and then so it receives the signal.

The transmitters is designed so that the slightest sprinkle of rain pools in the faceplate where it seeps in and knocks out the transmitter until it drys out over night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast