Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am a Locator want to be......

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I am a Locator want to be......

Welcome to the show wanna be and Hellbilly.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    enough

THanks ifinditunderground

Our areas in IL have slowed down dramatically in the last week. Although I would like to see hiring/training start in January, we will probably not start hiring until late January and training not begin until sometime in February... that of course will also depend on the weather/construction demands. As far as a face to face interview... the obvious is to dress nice (no suit and tie necessary, but don't go in ragged looking); a genuine interest in the industry and some homework on your part prior to going in would be helpful; a strong desire to learn the business and take initiative to start learning what you can in advance. This job isn't for everyone, so the more you learn ahead of time the better off you will be. You need to be available for long hours during the "dig season" and taking on-call for the area they assign you to. I don't know how the company you applied for works their on-call schedule, but if there is anything that may conflict with that, you should let them know about it up front. Find out what their policies are and expectations for you. Ask questions, but also LISTEN to the manager/supervisor during your interview. This is just off the top of my head, but that may help.

Good luck and welcome to the Vine. There are a lot of great topics in here and it would be worth the time to read through the threads of substance.

Wannabe,
    the locating company i work for is very slow at the moment. but if a locating company knows they need people in the future , they need to start training soon. Dont worry about no experience, i didnt even know this field existed before i applied for a job. i have no idea how i missed all that paint on the ground. I have been with my cmpany for 6 yrs and am noe the damage investigator for them. I did like locating, nice to work outside most days. Good luck.

After perusing the internet trying to find information on USIC, I stumbled into your forums. Which I'm glad I did seeing as its one of the only sites having anything to do with Locators.

Like locatorwant2b, I just finished my screening via phone, assessment test and submitted my app through fax. The problem I was having with this whole process was weather or not to put much faith into it. I have a hard time getting my hopes up when everything is so impersonal these days and you actually have no face to face contact with people during employment prospecting.

I'm located in the St. Charles Missouri area and I'm hoping it's a real deal, jobs around here are scarce atm.

BTW, sorry for busting in on your forums.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Robsw33t View Post
    After perusing the internet trying to find information on USIC, I stumbled into your forums. Which I'm glad I did seeing as its one of the only sites having anything to do with Locators.

Like locatorwant2b, I just finished my screening via phone, assessment test and submitted my app through fax. The problem I was having with this whole process was weather or not to put much faith into it. I have a hard time getting my hopes up when everything is so impersonal these days and you actually have no face to face contact with people during employment prospecting.

I'm located in the St. Charles Missouri area and I'm hoping it's a real deal, jobs around here are scarce atm.

BTW, sorry for busting in on your forums.
    No problem, you are not busting in. A lot of people thinking about getting into this business read and post here.

There is a lot to read in the old posts which is where you can pick up a lot of useful information and some BS. Read as much of the posts as you can and try to weed out what sounds like bad advice. I say this because you will meet more experienced locators who will give you very bad advice. These guys sound good because they are more experienced but they usually have not been fired because they just got some blind good luck.

One place to read is the CableVine News forum. In particular the site operators advice not to let your managers know you are reading and posting here. There are some managers that do not want locators discussing things, makes them feel out of control. Not all managers as there are some managers that participate. Still until you know the people you are dealing with just keep quiet. Plus you only have to have an account to post in the forums, your bosses can surf in and read anytime and yes, some do.

My advise is that if you find the working environment adverse in the company that hires you to still do the absolute best you can at your job. I have seen too many people in both locating and different fields that get bad work habits. They feel that they do not like the type of work or the company and turn out lousy work. Good habits are hard to develop and easy to break with bad habits easy to develop and hard to break.

I have seen a great number of people leave for a better job and get fired because they could not get rid of their bad work habits.

Great Advise PL!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12