Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Howdy everybody

Years of Experience

Default Howdy everybody

Hey folks I'm just saying hi as this is my first time with this website.

-My name is Jack and I run Rush Locates, LLC (https://www.rushlocates.com/). I do mostly heating oil tank sweeps but also private utility location when I get a call for it.

My business is pretty new and it's just me.

Thanks, Jack
    daman1 and UULC like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Howdy everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Hey folks I'm just saying hi as this is my first time with this website.

-My name is Jack and I run Rush Locates, LLC (https://www.rushlocates.com/). I do mostly heating oil tank sweeps but also private utility location when I get a call for it.

My business is pretty new and it's just me.

Thanks, Jack
    Here is a thought. I have done a lot of locates where plumbers were replacing plastic water services. They dig out around the water valve in the yard where it connects to the public water. Then from that location they snake a steel cable down the old plastic water pipe until it comes out in the basement. In the basement they attach the cable to the end of the plastic pipe and a roll of copper tube. They pull out the old plastic and the new copper at the same time. But sometimes the plastic will just not pull out and now they have to dig a trench and lay in the new copper water service. When I came to these locates I gave them a hand. I hooked up my transmitter to the steel bale and traced out the line. As I did this I took frequent depth readings. I found the place where the pipe took a sudden sharp turn upwards so it could not be pulled straight through. Then I told the guy to hand dig up around where I had marked the sudden change in depth. That the pipe was binding at that point so it could not be pulled. Dig out the pipe at that mark a couple of feet around the bend and pull it again, the pipe will pull through without binding up on the dirt. Worked every time. This allowed them to complete the job in the scheduled time plus they did not have to tell the property owner the estimate was out the window and would have to charge them a lot more money.

Maybe some plumbers close, so there is not extensive travel time, to you will hire you to do this.

Years of Experience

welcome to the Vine Jack ! over there somewhere near you is the LAST blockbuster video ...I am so jealous...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Does anyone here do any heating oil tank scans / searches like I do at rushlocates? Or is everyone here more of just a utility locator?

It's not a very well known thing and buried pipes and wires are all over so I don't except it.

Years of Experience

utility locator for me.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Does anyone here do any heating oil tank scans / searches like I do at rushlocates? Or is everyone here more of just a utility locator?

It's not a very well known thing and buried pipes and wires are all over so I don't except it.
    Most are utility locators for utility companies but some do private locates of a variety of types.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Here is a thought. I have done a lot of locates where plumbers were replacing plastic water services. They dig out around the water valve in the yard where it connects to the public water. Then from that location they snake a steel cable down the old plastic water pipe until it comes out in the basement. In the basement they attach the cable to the end of the plastic pipe and a roll of copper tube. They pull out the old plastic and the new copper at the same time. But sometimes the plastic will just not pull out and now they have to dig a trench and lay in the new copper water service. When I came to these locates I gave them a hand. I hooked up my transmitter to the steel bale and traced out the line. As I did this I took frequent depth readings. I found the place where the pipe took a sudden sharp turn upwards so it could not be pulled straight through. Then I told the guy to hand dig up around where I had marked the sudden change in depth. That the pipe was binding at that point so it could not be pulled. Dig out the pipe at that mark a couple of feet around the bend and pull it again, the pipe will pull through without binding up on the dirt. Worked every time. This allowed them to complete the job in the scheduled time plus they did not have to tell the property owner the estimate was out the window and would have to charge them a lot more money.

Maybe some plumbers close, so there is not extensive travel time, to you will hire you to do this.
    I was thinking Jack. Print up some flyers advertising locating stuck plastic water services. Mail them with several business cards to the plumbing companies offering a fixed rate ans guarantied results. A fixed rate may include travel premium for extended area. The guarantied result is that if you do find the bend causing the pipe to bind and not pull out. This guarantee eases the contractor's mind. In my experience all of the lines I have done this with pulled out just fine.
    Do this for an excavator once and they will call you every time. Soon the word will get around and others will call you. Do not charge so much it is worth the excavator getting their own locate equipment. An old 810 works great for this.

My thought for this service call myself The Plumber's Helper.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

I was thinking Jack. Print up some flyers advertising locating stuck plastic water services. Mail them with several business cards to the plumbing companies offering a fixed rate ans guarantied results. A fixed rate may include travel premium for extended area. The guarantied result is that if you do find the bend causing the pipe to bind and not pull out. This guarantee eases the contractor's mind. In my experience all of the lines I have done this with pulled out just fine.
    Do this for an excavator once and they will call you every time. Soon the word will get around and others will call you. Do not charge so much it is worth the excavator getting their own locate equipment. An old 810 works great for this.

My thought for this service call myself The Plumber's Helper.
    This is all not a bad idea. I started the business with oil tank searches mostly in mind but later started doing more utiltiy locates but only with radio detection and not gpr. I even made a website page for it https://www.rushlocates.com/private-utility-locating/ But I can't locate all plastic water lines in most cases.

I usually don't have a way to access the waterline though, otherwise I think the metal in the line is a great idea. Most of my calls are for small water line locates are from the homeowners and not plumbers.

How do I get the steel snake into the water line at the meter?

Years of Experience

This is all not a bad idea. I started the business with oil tank searches mostly in mind but later started doing more utiltiy locates but only with radio detection and not gpr. I even made a website page for it https://www.rushlocates.com/private-utility-locating/ But I can't locate all plastic water lines in most cases.

I usually don't have a way to access the waterline though, otherwise I think the metal in the line is a great idea. Most of my calls are for small water line locates are from the homeowners and not plumbers.

How do I get the steel snake into the water line at the meter?
    In the situation I outlined the plumber already has the steel cable in the line, inserted from inside the house. I just connected to by the in the grounfd meter where the backhoe was trying to pull it out. Worked every time.

Years of Experience

I would almost think it would be faster to dig it up outside near the water meter and cut it there and insert a fish tape ???

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I would almost think it would be faster to dig it up outside near the water meter and cut it there and insert a fish tape ???
    This is if you want to mark the line before the need existed. A new water line is installed by running a steel cable into the failed plastic line from the meter or cut off valve in the yard. Then a new line, usually copper, i attached to the end of the cable and the old line is pulled in behind the old line as it is pulled out. Sometimes when installed there is a bend in the line that causes it to bind in the dirt and prevents it from being pulled out. Find where the old line makes a sharp turn either left, right or vertically and all they have to do is dig out around the bend and the new service can be pulled through. So the steel cable is in the old water line before they call you.

Years of Experience
    a few

I do a lot of plastic water line replacements (black poly 20 year average life) I need to know the path to give a correct bid. If no other lines are in the area I disconnect the line at the meter and push in a traceable rodder (has wire in the middle) and follow the line but if the power is underground or worst in the same trench it is not very good, the best way is buy a Prototech mini sonde that attaches to any rodder and trace it in steps because the 512 sonde signal can be traced perfectly even with other utils in the same trench.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    I do a lot of plastic water line replacements (black poly 20 year average life) I need to know the path to give a correct bid. If no other lines are in the area I disconnect the line at the meter and push in a traceable rodder (has wire in the middle) and follow the line but if the power is underground or worst in the same trench it is not very good, the best way is buy a Prototech mini sonde that attaches to any rodder and trace it in steps because the 512 sonde signal can be traced perfectly even with other utils in the same trench.
    A suburban tract home with a 1/4 acre or less lot is a short distance and just pulling out the old line while pulling in a new line is just done without needing to know much other then the distance. A property with a long way to get to the public water connection would need your service. I did a locate for one that was at least 100 yards long. Man did they have problems with that. Driveway and other things had been built over it. Took them a week to complete.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    a few

A suburban tract home with a 1/4 acre or less lot is a short distance and just pulling out the old line while pulling in a new line is just done without needing to know much other then the distance. A property with a long way to get to the public water connection would need your service. I did a locate for one that was at least 100 yards long. Man did they have problems with that. Driveway and other things had been built over it. Took them a week to complete.
    The reason I need to know is because you might think the line goes straight but it can curve under a stamped concrete patio and while doing the trenchless pull on the old line it can snap or stretch and then you might have to go under the covered area and now the people are going to get pissed. I have a machine that pulls out the old pipe and I have one that splits the old pipe and pulls the new one in but it is not as dependable as you might think, we just did one where the ground was so hard and compacted with large rocks that the copper pipe actually stretched itself and was now smaller than 1" so fittings would not connect anymore plus I knew it was stretched so I opted to do it again only now the problem was that the first round was plastic being split now we had to split the copper and not stretch the new copper, I used or sewer pulling splitter with more power but had the guys applying electricains lube on the new pipe and it made it less resistance to the operation and it pulled through just fine. I say this because I wish these jobs where easy but a lot of them are not and I need to really know the path to judge what might happen to cover myself.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    The reason I need to know is because you might think the line goes straight but it can curve under a stamped concrete patio and while doing the trenchless pull on the old line it can snap or stretch and then you might have to go under the covered area and now the people are going to get pissed. I have a machine that pulls out the old pipe and I have one that splits the old pipe and pulls the new one in but it is not as dependable as you might think, we just did one where the ground was so hard and compacted with large rocks that the copper pipe actually stretched itself and was now smaller than 1" so fittings would not connect anymore plus I knew it was stretched so I opted to do it again only now the problem was that the first round was plastic being split now we had to split the copper and not stretch the new copper, I used or sewer pulling splitter with more power but had the guys applying electricains lube on the new pipe and it made it less resistance to the operation and it pulled through just fine. I say this because I wish these jobs where easy but a lot of them are not and I need to really know the path to judge what might happen to cover myself.

No that doesnt sound easy at all. And quite expensive as well. I dont know the process well enough to speak with authority on it but Directional boring has gotten advanced in the last decade or so. Have you considered it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast