Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to locate Sewer

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to locate Sewer

We use all of the above methods to locate sanitary mains and laterals. We frequently run into very large brick sewer tunnels that are hand built brick by brick. Some of them range in the 11' x 15' range. Since these are built by hand they curve as needed and never run straight from structure to structure, frequently manholes are 2,500 to 3,000 feet apart. Instead of tennis balls we will use 2 windshield washer jugs with some pea gravel inside for weight and can go distances up to 600 feet (and more depending on flow and the length of wire on the spool). We locate all utilities on every jobsite so gravity flow storm and sanitary lines are a daily locate for our crews.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    Look cas, I know what a ground penetrating radar is ok? .... Done that, been there. Worked in every locating company you can think of. I even worked for CAS in New Port Richey. He was paying me $12 bucks an hour pushing that stupid lawn mower around (GPR). I said **** this and I quit.
    I haven't had anyone quit in our New Port Richey office. I have fired a few though...let's see, there was one guy I fired who was snorting Oxycontin and we (and the Pasco Sheriff's Office) found him passed out at the wheel of his truck parked at an intersection...then another guy who got a DUI in one of my trucks...then another head tripp whom I fired for his inability to show up to work for days on end...then another guy who was caught riding his "girlfriend" around in my company truck while he cheated on his wife...and the last one was a female who wrecked one of my trucks and tried to report it as vandalism (but was turned in by an eye witness)...were you one of these winners????
    Last edited by GWJ_CAS; January 13th, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Years of Experience
    na

Sewer locates are for rookies...

Wheres some real threads around here...

Bucwheats 5 n 10 threads dont count...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post

That's what I been meaning to say!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post

Oh yeah, and sewer doesn't pay well. That is why CLS stays away from those contracts. Sewer is mostly located by the county and SUE companies doing design tickets. But for the most part, I just close those tickets out as "marked" from my house and upload a couple stock photos incase of an audit (they never complained about an unmarked sewer lateral- But I was called all the time about Power, and Fiber not located). No one ever hits my sewer pipes. If they do, it's just a plastic 4" pvc pipe. Maybe the contractor ran it over the clean out stub with a heavy truck (it happened one time). No fault damage, and I didn't even mark it! Because it was clearly sticking out of the ground!

Years of Experience

I have seen a 4" lateral coming from a small 8 unit apartment building get hit and cost over $50k to repair. The lateral passed close to a transmission power pole the had to be supported while the contractor excavated for the lateral replacement.

But hey, what's $50k to a guy like Justice, the multi-millionaire locator?

Justice John is a cancerous boil on the butt of humanity that should be lanced and quickly flushed down the toilet.

Steve, please ban this Inverted idiot (Justice, John whatever)...

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    I haven't had anyone quit in our New Port Richey office. I have fired a few though...let's see, there was one guy I fired who was snorting Oxycontin and we (and the Pasco Sheriff's Office) found him passed out at the wheel of his truck parked at an intersection...then another guy who got a DUI in one of my trucks...then another head tripp whom I fired for his inability to show up to work for days on end...then another guy who was caught riding his "girlfriend" around in my company truck while he cheated on his wife...and the last one was a female who wrecked one of my trucks and tried to report it as vandalism (but was turned in by an eye witness)...were you one of these winners????
    Damn GW, it sounds like you're having a bad streak of luck in New Port Richey
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Damn GW, it sounds like you're having a bad streak of luck in New Port Richey
    Yeah, the problem is these folks are all like Justice John...they are a dime a dozen. They all think they can locate and that they are the best in the world, but are really just punks.

The Tampa area in particular seems to breed incompetents and drug/booze addicts for some reason.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I have a a couple of guys like that come thru my doors, but nothing like you have experienced CAS.....good call on John Spruce, I was thinking it -but didn't want to look like UDIC and spew a bunch of unintelligible crap about something I knew nothing about.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    na

And Time Warner got sued in access of 50k for an HO tripping on a drop...

Whoop T DO!!!

All these self employed legends in there own minds...

Let em have the crumbs, pay crumbs and keep hiring an firing crumbs...

Guess thats what s being whined about...

I thank everyon for the answers. Just to clarify a few points: Sewer is easy to locate, or should I say the sewer mains are easy to locate because you can simply go manhole to manhole. What I was concerned about is locating the lateral connections. I can walk into a neighborhood and assume where the lateral is located based on the cleanout, if one is visible. The problem is in my area the local authorities or regulators want sewer marked as accurately as you would mark water or electric or gas. That seems, in some cases, impossible because if you do not have a clean out, you can run nothing down the line. And GPR is hard to use in my area because we have a large amount of marine clay which distorts the signal.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Years of Experience

if you don't see any cleanouts sticking up out the ground....you can still look at the house and see the vent pipe sticking out of the roof and have a good idea where the lateral connection is.......within reason i guess.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by blue34 View Post
    I thank everyon for the answers. Just to clarify a few points: Sewer is easy to locate, or should I say the sewer mains are easy to locate because you can simply go manhole to manhole. What I was concerned about is locating the lateral connections. I can walk into a neighborhood and assume where the lateral is located based on the cleanout, if one is visible. The problem is in my area the local authorities or regulators want sewer marked as accurately as you would mark water or electric or gas. That seems, in some cases, impossible because if you do not have a clean out, you can run nothing down the line. And GPR is hard to use in my area because we have a large amount of marine clay which distorts the signal.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
    Does the waste water company have any documentation? Main camera records, plot cards, as-builts?
    When all else fails camera the line, or put ametallic fish-tape or snake and locate that.

Locating sewer, the correct way is with a print provided from the sewer comapany with latteral measurements from the manholes and you wheel off from manhole to manhole, the problem with marking from the vent pipe is you never no the direction the latteral lies, they do not always run striaght from the vent pipes some run in angles, depends on the flow of the sewer from the manhole.... from looking at the stack on the house, it can be 5 ft either side, so in most locating areas if they were to hit it, you just bought a latteral you would be 3 feet off. As far as the GPR, it is no good on latterals, most are made of clay pipes in older homes and that machine will not locate it........ As far as pvc works okay if the latterals are not deep...... But remember always, the latterals are the same depth as the sewer is at the road side and more shallow toward the house end, sewer has to fall downhill... And if you really want to know and be accurate probe and dig it up, it always is accurate.....

Years of Experience

We always used to use sewer cards to locate services.
    A plot plan showing the structure, where the service leaves the structure(with measurement), the path of the line, and where the line tapped(with measurements).

Our new developments all have tracer with the lines, that is run up at exterior clean-outs.

That's how we used to locate laterals, but due to the lateral being owned by the prop. owner and not the waste water provider, we are no longer allowed to mark them. All of this due to law suits.

It's been determined that if we put a mark on something, we are responsible for it. That includes costs and repairs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast