Thread: Honest opinions, not rumors, needed about USIC

Default Honest opinions, not rumors, needed about USIC

Ok, we all know the story about USIC and Cus right now. I'm trying to find out if it's honestly that bad of a company to work for. Thankfully I have options with 3 other locate companies. I'm just curious if it's in my best interest to roll out.

Default Re: Honest opinions, not rumors, needed about USIC

It really depends on if you can work with a GPS tracking device and work the OT when it's necessary. Also, your Supervisor will make a big difference no matter where you go. Otherwise, they lie to you just like everyone else does.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I have worked for CLS and I have worked for SM-P. Now I'm with USIC since these two merged. I have 14 years total in the industry. It all depends on which area you are in. I don't believe USIC is in Virginia so things probably wont change much. whatever does change will happen slowly. One thing at a time. My best advise is just be willing to accept change as I'm sure policies and locating procedures will. I work in one of our top districts/markets. The biggest complaint i hear from locators is the weather. Unfortunately for Sprayandpray Texas is one of our problem areas at the moment. It's going to be a different experience for him. If you have any specific questions let me know. i will give you honest answers.

Is on call time and 1/2? per call? All we get is straight time I was promised 3 hrs.per call. Do you have piece rate? Those were promises we didn't get with cusinc. Been with them for a year. Came from Utiliquist because of all the stuff promised. Insurance cost me $500 every 2 wks! Do you get paid wkly or bi-wkly? I don't mind hard work. I run charlotte nc airport area I take on call as often as I can for extra money...usually 2 or 3 times a month. Any info would help ease my mind.....
    Last edited by TheCableVine; July 31st, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dupton View Post
    Is on call time and 1/2? per call? All we get is straight time I was promised 3 hrs.per call. Do you have piece rate? Those were promises we didn't get with cusinc. Been with them for a year. Came from Utiliquist because of all the stuff promised. Insurance cost me $500 every 2 wks! Do you get paid wkly or bi-wkly? I don't mind hard work. I run charlotte nc airport area I take on call as often as I can for extra money...usually 2 or 3 times a month. Any info would help ease my mind

"Currently" Nc is a union ran state so some info will be different from other states. They have their own union policy handbook to follow and what isnt covered in it falls back on the USIC handbook. You will still have to deal with the gps and idle time but other things will be different. Best to speak with a local USIC locator to get your answers.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by dupton View Post
    Is on call time and 1/2? per call? All we get is straight time I was promised 3 hrs.per call. Do you have piece rate? Those were promises we didn't get with cusinc. Been with them for a year. Came from Utiliquist because of all the stuff promised. Insurance cost me $500 every 2 wks! Do you get paid wkly or bi-wkly? I don't mind hard work. I run charlotte nc airport area I take on call as often as I can for extra money...usually 2 or 3 times a month. Any info would help ease my mind.....
    Is on call time and 1/2? - No. I guess it could be considered time and a half if you always put in a 40 hr during the week.

Do you have piece rate? - No.

Insurance cost me $500 every 2 weeks! - You will most likely pay less than $60 per week for medical, dental and vision with USIC.

Do you get paid wkly or bi-wkly? - Bi-weekly on Fridays. Hours worked run Friday as start day through Thursday night as final day of pay period.

I take on call as often as I can for extra money...usually 2 or 3 times a month. That most likely will remain the same.

The company vehicles assigned to locators have been either an extended-cab Toyota Tacoma or the extended-cab Ford Ranger. Both are powered by gutless 4 bangers and less than 4 years old, but working out of either is still easy.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an honest opinion for all you sprayers. If you all think marking for everyone thinks that will make you the end all/be all authority over the dig laws, you've got another thing coming. Think you're gonna be able to call saying you're on your way just when the tickets due and then expect a repair crew or whoever to then still wait for one guy/gal to mark 3,4,5,6,7 different utilities? HA! HA! I would expect complaints to the Regulatory Gov't Buttholes to multiply, and when I mean multiply all those different utilities you represent are all separate offenses/fines. USIC/SM&P/CLS/CUS/GPLS/PRO-MARK. If you combine all the letters of those abbreviations I came up with SUCK & GULP MOR PICKLSS!!!!

Let me change that to SUCK & GULPS MOR PICKLS! "GET ON YOUR KNEES SCUMBAG"

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JACKnBORE View Post
    Here's an honest opinion for all you sprayers. If you all think marking for everyone thinks that will make you the end all/be all authority over the dig laws, you've got another thing coming. Think you're gonna be able to call saying you're on your way just when the tickets due and then expect a repair crew or whoever to then still wait for one guy/gal to mark 3,4,5,6,7 different utilities? HA! HA! I would expect complaints to the Regulatory Gov't Buttholes to multiply, and when I mean multiply all those different utilities you represent are all separate offenses/fines. USIC/SM&P/CLS/CUS/GPLS/PRO-MARK. If you combine all the letters of those abbreviations I came up with SUCK & GULP MOR PICKLSS!!!!
    That's actually where some state's dig laws work in our favor, because in my state all that is required is a response by the dig start date/time. Whether we arrive to actually locate the site, make a phone call, send an email, etc, as long as we've responded before the ticket runs late all is good. Plus, if we haven't responded on time and the contractor knows there's buried facilities in the area they are required to call in a two hour emergency in an effort to get things marked asap. Marking out all of the facilities in a given area has it's pro's and con's, but it's been my experience locating 4 ways that the majority of contractors like knowing there's one company taking care of so much.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by hardgrind View Post
    Ok, we all know the story about USIC and Cus right now. I'm trying to find out if it's honestly that bad of a company to work for. Thankfully I have options with 3 other locate companies. I'm just curious if it's in my best interest to roll out.
    USIC is the greatest company I've ever worked for!!
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

I had to say that , they were were standing right behind me breathing down my neck and holding a gun to my back and forcing my hands to type those words. RUN, RUN while you still can!!! Really, if you can deal with that feeling all day everyday you'll be fine. In reality it has it's ups and downs just like anything else but there is a serious micromanagement problem, some areas are worse than others, really just depends on if the local management actually enforces all the rules and policies of the company.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I saw the writing on the wall when our crew got a new supervisor that failed me on an audit for an emergency ticket for not flagging my marks. The crew that called in the emergency was on site, were not going to be digging anywhere near my marks, which were painted on the snow that covered the sidewalk the elec primary I marked was under. When I asked this supervisor to please show me how to get flags to stick in concrete I got no reply, he failed me on an audit from the photos attached to the ticket, with no actual site visit.

I quit two weeks later, offered two weeks notice, and was told to turn the truck in the next day.

Welcome to USIC, where they can afford to buy the competition but can't afford to give you raises, standby pay, or allow your truck to idle ever.