• 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 4 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By Geomancer
  • 4 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot

Thread: Was hired at USIC in St Louis Start Training in 2 weeks

Years of Experience

Default Was hired at USIC in St Louis Start Training in 2 weeks

Hello everyone, I was just hired at USIC , I will begin training in a few weeks. I have to be honest Im a bit timid? All the things said about this place makes me concerned. A Little about me, I was an adjunct instructor for years teaching but it was literally impossible to get full time, so I went to AAA as a roadside driver (not a bad gig, loved it) I also worked on call locksmithing for a few years so I am used to on call stuff. Any advice to start with would be great help. I am very excited about starting , loving the outdoors and by myself is wonderful to me. Anyway, Hello and great to have found this site!!
    Wingfoot and daman1 like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Was hired at USIC in St Louis Start Training in 2 weeks

Some people have found little islands in USIC that are okay to work at. If you find you do not like your employer just think of your being there as getting training and job experience and they are paying for it. Two years from now you can get a locate job anywhere in US or Canada. Also not all locating is by contract firms. Keep your eye open for job postings for in-house locating for utilities and municipalities.
    daman1 and Hallet17 like this.

Years of Experience

Thanks man, sounds good. Ill keep the advice, learn as much as I can and evaluate from then on. I do love the idea of this profession at least from what I've researched so far. Ill stay positive and think of it as growth like you mentioned.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What ProLo said is true. We had a manager who told us that if you are a utility locator you can get a job anywhere. Now... I'm sure that is not 100% true but it will get you a job most places.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Greetings Hallet17! When I see your handle, I am reminded about the Hallett Motor Racing Circuit that is 35 miles west of Tulsa. It's a sweet 1.8 mile road course about 35 miles west of Tulsa.

I am a USIC locator. The first six months as a Noob will be tough because you will be learning your equipment, your prints and the business of digging. It does get easier with time and proper teaching.

It is my opinion for a USIC noob to survive is having a mentor. I believe finding a locator with their own territory that has 2 to 3 years of field experience is the best choice for a mentor. Have your boss assign a good mentor for you on your team; one who you can bond to quickly. Ask your mentor to get you involved in their challenging project work as well as cluttered intersections as quickly as possible.

Ask as many questions here as you want. All the members of the 'Vine who are locators have been where you are now and are willing to help you. Luv Ya Man!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phoenix827, Hallet17, UULC and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience
    3 years

Get used to backing into a parking spot. Also a good question to ask is regarding work during the winter season. It is a good idea to have something to fall back on when it is slow.
    Hallet17 likes this.

Years of Experience

Get use to seeing emails everyday about someone wrecking one of their trucks. Someone getting hurt and lessons on how not to let non of this happen. Also get use to everything being your fault no matter what. Get ready to be written up if you have a damage, at the same time. Be ready to be sent home if you can't keep production numbers up to the level the supervisor thinks they should be. No matter if one of your tickets covers 1 mile of roadway and you have multiple utilities on each side. It better not take all day. You are basically in a no win situation with this company. Damned if you do Damned if you don't. No I'm not scared to say something about the company I work for. I love my job. I take it very seriously, but at the end of the day. Its all about the numbers, not about safety or quality. Be prepared to be doing at least 21 tickets a day with multiple utilities on each to make productions. Other then that. Its a great company.

Years of Experience

Well, after reading a ton on this site, I must say I'm getting excited about learning this trade. Are there growth areas within? other than just sup positions? I don't know how or if possible any other advancements come. I am not getting to far ahead of myself, not really thinking it just curious. Ya the winter season, I was kinda thinking just doing some online college teaching classes like I used to or save what I do in the summer. Any of you ever just store like a squirrel and live on that through the winter with your family? I may get a couple courses to teach but not really wanting a full-time gig than quitting to start this again. The more I research the more I'd like this as a new steady carreer if possible.

Years of Experience
    3 years

Yes, your email will get spammed with safety related stuff. A keen person can direct it all to the junk mail filter, lol. Occasionally, there are some other technician positions that usually go to the vets or those with the exp already (GIS, high profile locate, survey, damage prevention, etc whatever they are called). Then you have the odd operations support job. Supervisor jobs are most frequent. However, Murphy's law or whatever dictates that it will likely not be for your district, but for a Couple states away.
    Winter is just weird. Might be able to go on unemp during winter with Usic paying benefits. maybe go work in a warmer climate or overloaded district for the winter. Have a second job lined up just in case. Good.
    Good luck. Take as much work as you can get and be safe. Squirrel what you can away and try to budget. Take it slow and learn it right.

Years of Experience

Every job opening is posted in the company to your e-mail and you have the ability to apply for anything you want. your going to need at least 2 years to get supervisor, 3-5 years for a trainer job, 5-7 years for claims and anything above that will pretty much require a degree.
    If you are serious about moving up then don't buy a house, plan on moving to somewhere that has high turnover.

Years of Experience

besides taking a TON of notes once class starts, anything or anywhere else to look and research? I used to work at AAA as a driver so Im used to 12-14 hr days etc and then on-call. Yes it sucks but every day I look at my son and (bills) well, gotta support him I am highly eager to learn as much as possible to prepare, any advice would be great thanks!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hallet17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallet17 View Post
    Well, after reading a ton on this site, I must say I'm getting excited about learning this trade. Are there growth areas within? other than just sup positions? I don't know how or if possible any other advancements come. I am not getting to far ahead of myself, not really thinking it just curious. Ya the winter season, I was kinda thinking just doing some online college teaching classes like I used to or save what I do in the summer. Any of you ever just store like a squirrel and live on that through the winter with your family? I may get a couple courses to teach but not really wanting a full-time gig than quitting to start this again. The more I research the more I'd like this as a new steady career if possible.
    Besides taking a TON of notes once class starts, anything or anywhere else to look and research? I used to work at AAA as a driver so Im used to 12-14 hr days etc and then on-call. Yes it sucks but every day I look at my son and (bills) well, gotta support him I am highly eager to learn as much as possible to prepare, any advice would be great thanks!
    Greetings Hallet17! Welcome to the wonderful world of locating! You have joined the largest locating company on the planet; United States Infrastructure Corp. USIC is operating in 29 states and a province of Canada. Daily there are multiple postings on the company's e-mail for positions of advancement. Right now, USIC is focusing on promoting from within more than hiring outside of the company.

I know of no person who hired on to USIC to do a bad job. All are excited to start a new career and can't wait to get started. Although, I have seen many noobs who are failing miserably just after a few weeks/months in the field on their own. Most of the struggling noobs lack common sense; an attribute that is required if one expects to survive in the business of locating utilities.

It is of my opinion the failure begins on Day 1 of employment. Immediately, noobs are exposed to two weeks of indoctrination; not how to locate utilities. It appears USIC is of the opinion the art of locating can be taught to noobs in two weeks by having them watch a bunch of videos. The Video Jockeys (VJs) have little or no experience in the field. During the indoctrination, the VJs hand out manuals that are never opened in class, lightly gloss over the company's benefits package, spend too much time teaching the noobs defensive driving skills, teach the noobs how to turn on the laptops, lightly gloss over the utility prints and have locating equipment sales staff lead a confusing 2-hour course on how great their shit is; never explaining how to hook up to utilities.

Not once are the noobs taken to the field by the VJs to teach hookup points or how to put into practice any locating equipment that they are expected to use.

Hallet, there is no need to take copious notes. The VJs will drill into your head every day the answers to the final exam. Apparently, the VJs justify their jobs by having all the newcomers ace their final exams, rather than have them leave the class knowing a just little bit about locating utilities.

At the end of the two week indoctrination, noobs are given a nice truck, paint, batteries and flags. With a slap on the back and a stiff kick in the pants, the VJs tell the noobs, "Good Luck out there! Be productive and don't get anything cut!"

My advice, let the VJs have their two week dog and pony show. Before you get your stiff kick in the pants, have your new supervisor assign a USIC veteran locator with 3 to 5 years experience to be your mentor. Get a mentor you can bond to quickly. Take it upon yourself to glean as much as you can from that person. Doing that will speed up the learning curve and make the job of locating utilities FUN for you!

Nail down the basics of locating before your mentor teaches you a bunch of shortcuts. The shortcuts come soon enough.

Get a complete and thorough understanding of all the utility prints from your mentor. Wear that person out!

As stated in my previous post, demand your mentor to get you involved in their challenging project work as well as the cluttered intersections as quickly as possible.

There is sooo much to learn. No one can learn it all overnight. I have been a utility locator for 18 years. I had many mentors during my learning years. It took me 8 years of locating before I could honestly say I can accurately locate all utilities at any intersection, any apartment complex, any factory, any building in the downtown loop, any hospital, any airport in my city of 3 million by myself without any outside influence.

Hallet, I like your enthusiasm and desire to do well. The next few months will be a challenge for you. Don't let the bastards get you down. Always remember your new family here at The Cable Vine when you need answers for new challenges, or need camaraderie to lift your spirits. Luv Ya Man!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mke, daman1, Hallet17 and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience

good Luck !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Greetings Hallet17! The Video Jockeys (VJs) have little or no experience in the field. During the indoctrination, the VJs will lightly gloss over the utility prints and have locating equipment sales staff lead a confusing 2-hour course on how great their shit is; never explaining how to hook up to utilities.

Not once are the noobs taken to the field by the VJs to teach hookup points or how to put into practice any locating equipment that they are expected to use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Greetings Hallet for the 3rd time!

WoW! I realized I lightly glossed over the locating equipment that will be assigned to you. I would be amazed if you are taught anything more than how to turn the equipment on and off.

The 2-hour course the locating equipment sales staff provides will not help you perform your job. You will know less after the course than before these people walked into the room. You will hear terms like kilohertz, megahertz, gigahertz - all things that make my hiney hertz! Trust me, none of that shit will be used in the real world of locating.

Instead, when equipment is laid out in front of you, ask the VJs to hand you the Radio Detection (RD) transmitter (either one - the TX-3 or the TX-10) and the Radio Detection RD8000 receiver (if it is available); it's the best stuff. All other locating equipment brands are RD knock-offs and wannabes; rubbish in my opinion.

Regardless, what equipment you are given will not come with instruction by the VJs. You must take the initiative, or the first step, to learn the equipment on your own. The answer is Youtube. I believe in Youtube because that's what taught me how to properly use all the different brands of locating equipment I have used during my 18 years of locating.

There are also Youtube sites and web sites on how to locate specific utilities. Anyway, Good Luck! Luv Ya Man!

Hallet17 likes this.

Years of Experience

Man you guys rock Thanks for all the advice!! Looking forward to tomorrow, Taking it easy, learning and begin asking questions hahah