Thread: Hi Everyone

Default Hi Everyone

Just discovered this site and am very happy to join.

I'm an old fart (over the half century mark) with ten years locating experience. I'm from the northern most reaches of Minnesota but spent a lot of time locating around the St. Paul metro area (Excel, Comcast, Qwest, and Centerpoint via Quality Underground Services).
    I have moved back north and am trying to put together a private underground utility locating service (one person-one truck). Two problems...one is securing commercial liability insurance (no one likes to insure locators, it seems) and the other is in the rate to charge. I see that a lot of private locators charge around $100 an hour......that probably wouldn't fly in this depressed rural area (which is sort of depressing in of itself). I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tackled this same issue.
    Mike, the editor of Underground Focus magazine, has been a genuine help to me with waiver of liability forms and other business concerns (a great guy with a good sense of humor). Could use any input....

And did I say (before I gushed on) that I really am happy to have discovered this site? !!!

Take care,
    Woodsman

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi Everyone

Welcome to the site. I'm a contract locator but do some private locates on the side. I charge $50 an hour with no objections from anyone. Maybe I should raise my rates.

Years of Experience

Oh yah woodsman - Glad to have you on board, don't cha know......... I was born & raised in Fairmont, Minnesota. I went to college for a couple years in Mankato. What an ice box! 7 months of winter a year is just too much "fun" for me.......

woodsman - I ain't trying to break your ballz - I am a wuss, you betcha, when it comes to cold weather. I moved 450 miles south of you just to get closer to the sun. I had a strong Minni-sue-ten accent and a strong Minni-sue-ten wife when I moved out of your state, but both are gone now.

I had the pleasure in May a few years ago to drive on I-35E thru St Paul during rush hour. WoW - 6 northbound lanes wide (maybe it was 7 lanes wide, I can't remember) of creeping & stopping, creeping & stopping...... It took me 2+ hours to pass thru town........

Anyway, welcome to theVine. Please post often and tell your buddies about our forum........

------------------------------------------------------

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you are on the right track Woods. Steve, raise your rates gradually every year or every other year. I am racking my brain for the names of our Liability Insurance and am blank. Will post later when I can think of anything. Try going to a broker Woods, let them help you figure it out.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Welcome, we need some more "seasoned" posters on here. These dadgum kids get uppity now and then and start talking all kinds of nonsense!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

old fart may be right now that i think about it...................hahhahhahahahhahahhahaha!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Welcome Woodsman, I'm one of the punk kids here on the vine.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Welcome Woodman...I am one of the old farts on the site...

Check in often...
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

wow steve... $50 for privates? Please tell me you have a minimum site time or a gas fee, or stupid contractor fee? With Gas prices slowly creeping up again and companies being tighter with their budget, I think a slow creep up in your fee would be understandable. I do think $100 is a bit much.

mke

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I believe most private locators here in Alberta are over $100.00 per hour.
    One fellow I know charges $135.00 per hour with I believe a 4 hr minimum call-out fee.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Just discovered this site and am very happy to join.

I'm an old fart (over the half century mark) with ten years locating experience. I'm from the northern most reaches of Minnesota but spent a lot of time locating around the St. Paul metro area (Excel, Comcast, Qwest, and Centerpoint via Quality Underground Services).
    I have moved back north and am trying to put together a private underground utility locating service (one person-one truck). Two problems...one is securing commercial liability insurance (no one likes to insure locators, it seems) and the other is in the rate to charge. I see that a lot of private locators charge around $100 an hour......that probably wouldn't fly in this depressed rural area (which is sort of depressing in of itself). I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tackled this same issue.
    Mike, the editor of Underground Focus magazine, has been a genuine help to me with waiver of liability forms and other business concerns (a great guy with a good sense of humor). Could use any input....

And did I say (before I gushed on) that I really am happy to have discovered this site? !!!

Take care,
    Woodsman

That's cool. I've had some offers on the side, never 100$ an hour though; I never took them, because I'm a pussy, which is why I work at Utiliquest to begin with... Just kidding, lol. In all seriousness, I was afraid of getting caught and fired for some bullshit private locate..

anyway, I wish you luck in your business venture.

-Patrick
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde