Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By daman1

Thread: Hey how ya doin?

Years of Experience

Cool Hey how ya doin?

Hello guys/ladies! I recently moved into a locating position at work. I have used locating equipment in the past as a laborer doing sewer/water and later gas work. There is so much info here. This place is such a wealth of information and a good resource.

I'm issued a Vivax Vm-810 and am pretty comfortable with it so far. However its limitations, even to me as a new locator, are apparent. I work with questionable records and locate a lot of cast iron pipes ranging from 4-36" in diameter. Can you guys think of a better system for locating these types of facilities, that maybe I could recommend to my bosses?

Anyway great site.

Hope to be here a while

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hey how ya doin?

welcome to the site bud ! cast iron is pretty difficult to locate no matter what machine you have . you may get some better info from someone on here that locate cast iron daily .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Those water mains usually carry 60 cycle on them so consider a machine with 60 hrtz power sweep as auxiliary use, never trust 60 cycle by itself. If you have plastic gas lines in area possible to have bleed over on the tracer wire but very little if any pick up on the 60 cycle sweep.

Years of Experience

I love my RD PDLG8100 TX10B set on 83 kHz to locate 8" cast water mains and 1" copper services. Low enough to "stay" on the target, but high enough to jump pipe insulators for about 100' of locate.

Passive power mode (60 Hz) helps.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by standing on the corner View Post
    I love my RD PDLG8100 TX10B set on 83 kHz to locate 8" cast water mains and 1" copper services. Low enough to "stay" on the target, but high enough to jump pipe insulators for about 100' of locate.

Passive power mode (60 Hz) helps.
    Careful on that copper my friend. 83khz will jump off of that line and onto anything close. Especially other shallow lines.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Careful on that copper my friend. 83khz will jump off of that line and onto anything close. Especially other shallow lines.
    I agree it can jump. The majority of my locates are suburban streets where the water and gas services have at least 5' of separation. When 83 does jump onto something else, it's usually obvious.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Those water mains usually carry 60 cycle on them so consider a machine with 60 hrtz power sweep as auxiliary use, never trust 60 cycle by itself. If you have plastic gas lines in area possible to have bleed over on the tracer wire but very little if any pick up on the 60 cycle sweep.
    i have found 60 Hz on maybe a 1/3 of the services and very few mains.

Years of Experience
    17 years

I agree it can jump. The majority of my locates are suburban streets where the water and gas services have at least 5' of separation. When 83 does jump onto something else, it's usually obvious.
    I noticed you only have a year of experience. That's why I warned you. I trained on an 810 at 83khz and got pretty good in the first year so i wont judge. 83khz can light up an entire cul de sac and make it easy. Just be careful in the congested areas. I will normally dial it down to about 7khz in heavy easements and isolate each cable. Just friendly advice. You never know how many mistakes you made until you get a damage and realize you've been lucky.
    After the first year it gets dangerous because they start giving you tougher locates and you can develop a false sense of security from your experience. Don't get over-confident. You will be learning the tougher stuff that logic can't predict. Good luck.
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

i have found 60 Hz on maybe a 1/3 of the services and very few mains.
    I think it depends on the utility entity you are on. Most of my work was on WSSC and sixty cycle was not uncommon. Most private water lines, like apartment complexes, usually have 60 cycle on them.