Thread: Hey all. new guy here.

Default Hey all. new guy here.

So i found this site while searching for contract info on my company, UQ. That is, I wondered if I could find out when the WGL contract would be up for bidding. Given the contracts we've lost and the competition thats surfaced in recent years, my eyes have been opened to the fact I'd better start paying attention. I was hired by Bob Trott when we were Byers, so I've seen plenty of changes but have never felt I had so little job security. Anyway, I work in DC and have been there pretty much forever but for my first year or so in Montgomery Co. So hello all.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hey all. new guy here.

welcome to the site !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I was also hired by Bob Trott back in the Byer's days.

I know losing BG&E hurt but that has been a long time coming and BG&E started putting feelers out about two years prior searching for a replacement.

At least Byers had a great training program. Alternating one week classroom with one week in field with a mentor learning how to actually mark. This continued alternating until all five utilities had been covered in class.

Utiliquest is having similar problems everywhere it seems. When a competitor wants to move into an area they look to see if Utioliquest is there and begin getting close to their clients. While a competitor may bid on any client of any locate firm in the area it pays to spend extra time on the clients most likely- to be displeased with their locate firm. The Utiliquest clone USIC is the same way, sharks smell the blood in the water.

My first real area was Montgomery County and my first oncall ticket was there. It was late and snowing like crazy, viability maybe 200 feet. Called the contact numbers on the ticket and got no answers so off I went, to Damascus. It was late, dark and slow all the way and sliding all the way. Got up there and no crew on site and unable to find the address, everything was covered with snow.

They had WGL all the way back then and to lose that long term client would be a blow. I do not know when that contract will end.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the vine

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Vine.

Bob Trott? Name sounds familiar. Maybe he's been mentioned on here before.

Nice avatar. That is how I felt this morning. JK.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Welcome! The job security feeling is one factor in contract locating I can't stress enough. Even though you go out and do the work with no damages, you could be fired for not meeting production goals. Crazy!

As to the training back then, I have not seen comparable training since. I had a long ride out, like 2 months, as well. That stopped years ago. A real pain for the vet but really good for the rook i think.