Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hey all.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hey all.

Are you on the project crew or production crew? It will make a HUGE difference in how much production USIC will demand out of you.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by underground View Post
    Are you on the project crew or production crew? It will make a HUGE difference in how much production USIC will demand out of you.
    LOL, I don't know yet. I don't even know which guy my sup is even. It's all good though. They have kept their word about everything they have said so far. I admire the hell out of them for being able to stay somewhat sane without having to spoon feed us newbers. The bosses made it pretty clear what they expect. We were told we were expected to not freak out and to call when we were lost pretty much.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    That's because your coach probably has a work load to keep up. He can only slow down so much to teach you before he gets behind. All I was when I trained was a flag guy. I'd watch my coach hook up and paint out the line and then walk behind him planting flags. Then while he was getting pics, I'd pack up the truck. Swore I'd be different when I trained people but wound up doing the same thing.

Don't sweat it Madcow. Locating is pretty much a one man job. Once you know the principles and see what a tech does, the only way to learn is on your own. A good Sup won't give you high profile tickets until you've mastered the easier stuff but at some point, you'll just have to stand there interpreting BS prints and scratching your head until you figure things out. You'll spend the first year or so feeling insecure and under-qualified. That's normal. Most newbs don't last the first year because of that but if you keep at it, you'll have several "Ah Ha" moments that add up and you'll suddenly realize you haven't been insecure about a locate in weeks. Then they'll drop a newbie in the cab of your truck and you'll tell him the same thing. A list of platitudes. It's all about motivation, work ethic, gaining field experience, and understanding subtleties that can't be taught. Nothing you tell the new guy will teach him much about real world locating except to keep at it until he has an "AH Ha" moment of his own.
    Oh yeah, he has a work load Allright. Right off the bat before I even pulled up there was an emergency then an accident investigation one normal ticket, then another emergency. I hold nothing against the guy at all. I had a freak out today because I thought I lost my receiver, turns out it was just in the wrong side of my truck. To funny. For me, the roughest part will be time management and navigating computer programs. I was lucky though, my first day there were some real challenging locates. Both were emergencies and both made the equipment act stupid because the ground was so wet from all the rain. I got no complaints. I'm still liking it.

Years of Experience

Oh, and my truck talks to. When I got it and fired it up I heard it say "killllll mee". That thing has been rode hard. But the fellow who handed it over told me we will get better stuff as we go along. I just figured we get the more crappy stuff because we are new. No sense in giving us the better stuff until they know we are going to be around awhile.

Years of Experience

Okay, day two of field training. Blue prints still suck. Locating street light lines is terrifying, and transport? I hate that for now but that will change. Also, today I was overcome by the heat. Not enough water and not frequently enough. Lesson learned. Less coffee in the morning and more water, water, water. Typically I try to stay hydrated enough that I'm always looking for a tree that needs "marking". Just got off in my thing and there it was. Met my sup today. Pretty embarrassed about getting taken out but I'll live on to keep marching to my spot in the Brotherhood of the orange boot.

Years of Experience

welcome to our world ...good luck with the rest bud !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

This day was better. Our coach has turned us loose some. Translore still sucks but I figure I'll come to love it. Best advice I could give a fellow newber would be to hang in there. I am and I still like it.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow101 View Post
    Okay, day two of field training. Blue prints still suck. Locating street light lines is terrifying, and transport? I hate that for now but that will change. Also, today I was overcome by the heat. Not enough water and not frequently enough. Lesson learned. Less coffee in the morning and more water, water, water. Typically I try to stay hydrated enough that I'm always looking for a tree that needs "marking". Just got off in my thing and there it was. Met my sup today. Pretty embarrassed about getting taken out but I'll live on to keep marching to my spot in the Brotherhood of the orange boot.
    If you drink nothing but water on a hot day your salt will pass out in your sweat and you will cramp up so bad you will not be able to move, seen it Keep some salty snacks with you like chips or pretzels.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Gatorade in addition to water helps immensely.
    yahoo likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12