Thread: Hey!

Years of Experience

Default Hey!

Hi all,

New the the locating business... but I'm looking to stay as long as I can. It seems that there are a lot of pitfalls, and situations that we can't control, but overall I love the job. It seems that to be successful in this field all I've got to do is know my stuff and do my best, which is really no problem. Really, though... as long as the wheels on my truck are turning and there are soles on my boots I think I'll be happy.

I've been reading the forums for a minute now, and feel that it is an awesome source for tips and tricks from the pros, and expanding on my toolbox of useful techniques. I've got enough electronics experience to understand the principals of how everything works and when not to do certain things, and thusfar that's been a big help. I can't help but notice that at least in my training course, My fellow technicians and I were taught some "sketchy" theory that just doesn't stand in the face of logic. Our training materials said that electricity flows from positive to negative for gosh sake! Between the techniques I've been shown that work, and the hugely erroneous info we've been given, It's kinda hard to sort the truth from the rubble and I'm looking to eventually get to the bottom of it. I think I've found the perfect group of people to help me do that.

Anyhow... Thanks for reading and take care,
    -Me

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    New the the locating business... It seems that there are a lot of pitfalls, and situations that we can't control, but overall I love the job. It seems that to be successful in this field all I've got to do is know my stuff and do my best, which is really no problem.
    Here's a HEY back at cha! Welcome to the'Vine! Thanks for joining our forum!

Locating is all about finding pipes and wires in the ground. Knowing the technical aspect of utilities (how does it work) is not required to become a good locator. Common sense is required for longevity in locating. The "technical stuff" is being able to understand utility prints and being able to paint it out accurately.

Knowing how utilities work is nice, but don't focus on gaining that knowledge right away. I suggest focusing on getting hooked up with a fellow locator for your mentor who has 3 to 5 years field experience. Your mentor will show you enough "technical stuff" to keep your job interesting.

Enjoy your time surfing the'Vine and please post often.

-----------------------------------------------

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the show Enjoy, read and post often.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    30+

Welcome to the Vine. You will find a wealth of informations on this site. Ask a question and you will get a dozen answers. Some will be very in=depth and some will be general. All answers will be informative and you can pick what best fits you.

Welcome again and post often. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome Aboard!

Read. Post. Repeat.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Welcome aboard. Have a great time and absorb all the info you can. It is alot to learn but once you got it you'll love it.

hey hey whats going on, Ive been locating for over a year and just joined the Vine. I really like locating but cant say i care to much for my sup. They Want all these god forsaken tickets done but in a set time allowed. But At The Same Time No Damages No Damages NO DAMAGES!!!!!! I Mean I Understand The Whole They Gotta Make Money Too. But Lets Say I Get 18 Tickets Done But Yet 3 out of the 18 gets hit, Maybe even 1 depending on the utility. Yea they made a profit but only for that day the next watch out. Now If I Wouldnt have had someone breathing down my neck about the hours & tickets I Wouldve Done the 18 with complete profit. I mean if im being crazy bout the whole idea let me know.. But I Think Im Being Within Reason. I mean if someone is wanting to work let them work only if being productive. But Like I Said Locating I Think Is Fun But A Crazy Fun. I Salute All Of You Senior Techs You Guys Are bad@ss's. If It Wasnt For Them. New Recruits Would Look Like A Fish Out Of Water. . This Job Is Hard To Learn, I Must Admit I Was One To Say Before I Done It Man That Looks Easy....YEEEEEA......But Thats All For Now Ill Check In Time To Time Or When I Have Another Day Like Today

Yeah it's definitely much harder than it looks from the outside. Yes you will be pressured by management to rush rush rush get'em done but at the same time get'em done right, which anyone with common sense knows is just not possible. Quality and productivity are directly tied to one another in thast one goes up the other goes down, for the most part that is, there are some freakish exceptions to that rule but not many. The key to survival is standing against that pressure to rush and just do the job right and the productivity will be what it will be. Also make sure to communicate any tickets that will not get done on time with both your sup and the contractor, my advice would be email that communication to the sup that you have hard evidence if something goes wrong. The power is in your hands as a locator if you can resist the pressure from management to do the wrong thing, turn the table by putting them in the hot seat and cover your behind with emailed communication on any and all issues regarding locates.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt