Thread: Help a Noob with GPS / Bentley??

Default Help a Noob with GPS / Bentley??

Hello everyone!! Yup, I'm a super noob... to this forum and to locating!

I am a new utility locator, and need some help. In order to work faster, safer and more efficiently I need to improve my navigation.

I can drive anywhere, thats not the problem. What I am having trouble with is finding my location on the laptop. Does anyone out there use the Bentley Mobile Mapping Tool for finding what utilities are in your area??

We use it for our phone locates.

It is a beast to navigate, and takes me too long - going from one wire center to another, ect... ugh! The program seems like it is set up to let you hook a GPS to the laptop, has anyone done this and HOW?? I tried plugging my GPS into the laptop, and the laptop won't find it. HELP!! Thanks and have a great weekend!!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Help a Noob with GPS / Bentley??

Sorry I can't help with the GPS question but can you keep multiple windows open. I do this with my records. I'll keep 2-3 wire centers open at the same time because I go back and forth between them. Instead of switching wire centers on the program each time I just open the program again and keep them open.

As far as finding you're self of the prints that just takes time. I can open all my records faster than the computer will go. Practice,practice, and more practice is all that will help with finding you're exact location on the prints.

Years of Experience

Hey rider - Glad to have you on board! Please, post often and tell your buddies about us.

Just like Goldenboy, I keep my AT&T wire centers open on multiple Nerv windows. I use the Bentley window for my CATV maps. I use my old paper prints as an index to access page number which, for me, speeds up the search process considerably. Many times, just thumbing thru the paper prints for my older established neighborhoods is all I need w/o opening the Bentley.

As Goldenboy has stated, being able to place your physical location on a utility map (print) is a challenge for all noobs, and even for some of us vets........ You're new. Don't beat yourself up for lack of speed on prints. It takes time to sort everything out. Speed will come with time. 6 months from now, the utility maps will be much easier for you to grasp. Latch onto a fellow locator with a couple of years experience in the field as your personal mentor. That person will teach you more in 2 months than you can pick up in a year on your own. And remember, the only dumb question is the question never asked.....

As for the GPS hook-up to Bentley windows, WoW! What a concept..... Unfortunately, I have no knowledge in that area..... Sorry....

-----------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

I also use Bentley for my CaTV records. Just remembered that's the program for Time Warner in my area. I also made a "grid map" to speed up the process of pulling prints. I got a nice map from the city hall and transposed the grids right onto the map and then had it laminated. This way you can dot yourself out with a dry erase marker and when you look at your dot for the job your on you have your page number for Bentley right there.

Hey everyone, thanks for the input.

I saw the GPS icon on the bottom of the Bentley window, next to where you can click on "attributes" and such...

I watched the tutorial, and it looks awesome. If you get it hooked up, you can watch your little "dot" that represents you, travel all around your Bentley map --- way cool!!

HOWEVER --- as you guys pointed out, simple is good!! The idea of a laminated map is super simple, easy to do and a super quick reference tool. I love to use technology whenever I can, but, sometimes "old skool" simple is much better!!

I will be getting paid by the job once I am out of "training" status, so efficiency in routing myself is super important to me.

If I figure it out, I'll let you know!!!!! THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!

Years of Experience

This may be something you need to pay for. Most companies go with the free trial version of all these viewers. We use around 10 different viewers and all of them are the free trial versions. Not all the functions are available to use while just using the trial version.

Most these paid programs(viewers) can only be installed to one computer. So if it's a 2-3 hundred dollar program and the company has 2-3 thousand computers it would really add up. Using the trial programs off the internet will normally work for checking records it just you can't use some features of the paid program.

N.Fl. Auditor

Get yourself a lamenated map with a grease pencil. Route your tickets that way. It's old school but trust me, it's simple and it works.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by I'd rather be riding! View Post
    Hello everyone!! Yup, I'm a super noob... to this forum and to locating!

I am a new utility locator, and need some help. In order to work faster, safer and more efficiently I need to improve my navigation.

I can drive anywhere, thats not the problem. What I am having trouble with is finding my location on the laptop. Does anyone out there use the Bentley Mobile Mapping Tool for finding what utilities are in your area??

We use it for our phone locates.

It is a beast to navigate, and takes me too long - going from one wire center to another, ect... ugh! The program seems like it is set up to let you hook a GPS to the laptop, has anyone done this and HOW?? I tried plugging my GPS into the laptop, and the laptop won't find it. HELP!! Thanks and have a great weekend!!

i use the same system as you do!!! you need the software to have the gps to work and it will be a great tool for you...ask your IT department to download the gps software on your computer which is free to you and your program will work....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

We use the Bentley software for AT&T prints. You can buy the Microsoft GPS receiver only and plug it in and let it automaticly install the drivers from the internet. Once this is done just click on the gps icon on Bentley and give it a minute and you are on your way. It is a little tricky till you play with it, you have to pause the GPS to zoom or move the print around once you get to your job. But it is a great help for new people.

Hmmmmm..... I'm a tech junkie anyway.... so this just sounds too hard to resist!!

Thanks!!

Routing? Prints? I think I remember something being mentioned about those things a long time ago in a meeting or something!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.