Thread: Hello and a Question

Default Hello and a Question

USIC is making a move in Seattle.

They posted in Seattle craigs.

Is this a good company to work for?

I have read some of the posts to get a feel for what you guys do, sometimes 7 locates an hour...wow.

I worked for a company that did the gas and power construction for a local utility, I think they used CLS, which seems to owned by USIC.

Thanks,

Don

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hello and a Question

I've worked for USIC for over 12 years and don't have any problems with them. Like all companies there are things I don't always agree with but I always have a newer vehicle and equiptment . I guess I'm not the best one to answer this because I've only worked for USIC/SM&P and never any other locate companies.

They must be getting quite a few contracts. I see that they are hiring in IL and IN for with alot of different opportunities. I did not realize they were also moving into Seattle.

P.S. Welcome to the vine.
    Last edited by Goldenboy; November 24th, 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I've worked for USIC for over 12 years and don't have any problems with them. Like all companies there are things I don't always agree with but I always have a newer vehicle and equipment . I guess I'm not the best one to answer this because I've only worked for USIC/SM&P and never any other locate companies.

P.S. Welcome to the vine.
    I've been with USIC/SM&P 12+ years and I DITTO Goldenboy on all counts. I can't imagine doing anything else. Utility locating is a good fit for me. Common sense and self motivation works to my favor much greater than intelligence for my survival in locating. That's a good thing because I'm not the brightest tool in the shed. I just paint the ground the way I would want it painted if I was the one doing the digging.

I get 40 hrs during the dead of winter (my winters are not as bitter as Goldenboy's) and 55+ hours during the summer. I get lots of personal time off for my travels around the country. I don't have a boss looking over my shoulder. Although, Big Brother is coming (GPS and maybe, someday, on-line cameras in the cab pointing at me - Jesus, I hope not)...............

There is a fraternity in this line of work that is every bit as close as family. I consider most utility techs, hourly paid excavator workers and their respective 1st lines as my friends.

In this line of work, you either love it or hate it. I happen to LOVE it.

----------------------------------------------------

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Welcome to the show Dude, stop by the chat room tomorrow night and say hello as well.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude....hope you get the answers you are looking for!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I don't know what you are talking about. USIC has been in this area for some time now.

Worked ALOT of other outdoor fields before locating, I wont be going back to any of them. Works for me. All jobs have their issues, but none can duplicate this job. As I read before, You'll love it or hate it.