Thread: Hello From Oregon

Years of Experience

Default Hello From Oregon

Hi we are a Newer Private Locating company but we are not new to Locating. We are based in Portland Oregon and work the Metro area. We are looking into branching out into contract utilities but need help on how to bid for them and what we need to do.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hello From Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionLocating View Post
    Hi we are a Newer Private Locating company but we are not new to Locating. We are based in Portland Oregon and work the Metro area. We are looking into branching out into contract utilities but need help on how to bid for them and what we need to do.
    take the guy who signs the contracts out for a beer Credentials and low cost

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Never part of the bid process myself.

From what I hear your firm has to;

Show experience by management and your current locators marking the type of facility your prospective client has.

Show ability to get and pay for liability / damages insurance.

Show the ability to fully equip and field the number of employees needed to mark the facility. Tougher than it sounds. For this you need the call center tickets history. The information you get is usually inaccurate giving false impression of a lower number of tickets. Especially if the call center is operated by a firm that also has a locating division. This inaccurate information results in starting up with too few locators. Expanding rapidly to cover the workload is a problem. You have to have the financial resources on hand to as much as double the number of employees and equipment you budgeted for.

I would think based on my general experience in the industry to try first for smaller contracts. Local street light, traffic signals, maybe water and sewer. Water and sewer can be a large contract ticket wise but yard tickets for TV drops, planting, etc. can be easy in many areas. In many areas to water service only goes to the valve at the curb or in the yard. Most tickets are quick locates.

Phone, electric, CATV are time consuming locates. I can do TV quicker but not all tickets, some can require minute , meticulous work.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Pro makes a lot of good points. I would get a small contract to get your feet wet and see how you like it. Get your on call and emergencies set up. Look how bad synergy one did in the mid west not having it staffed. I am hearing in WI usic is having staffing issues. Seems a lot of people putting in apps for unemployment purposes but no one answers or returns the calls for work.

I find phone to be the work horse. Takes so long to locate at some locates. next would be catv if not a simple drop one, then electric and gas.

Years of Experience

We got a contract that we dont do the emergencies on. That would be a nice deal starting out i would think but not likely to happen. Phone and fiber is where the money is at for us then power but power is covering a huge area. we charge the same for a site visit as a locate on power and project time for all our contracts is quite a bit lower then all the companies around us. The companies we locate for know we need to turn a profit and they work with us like in the winter when they are doing pole projects they would usually tell us not to go but give us the free tickets to make a few extra bucks and idk why lol

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    Pro makes a lot of good points. I would get a small contract to get your feet wet and see how you like it. Get your on call and emergencies set up. Look how bad synergy one did in the mid west not having it staffed. I am hearing in WI usic is having staffing issues. Seems a lot of people putting in apps for unemployment purposes but no one answers or returns the calls for work.

I find phone to be the work horse. Takes so long to locate at some locates. next would be catv if not a simple drop one, then electric and gas.
    They have staffing issues everywhere. That's normally why none of my locates are done on time....right USIC guys? RIGHT!?!?!?!?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    They have staffing issues everywhere. That's normally why none of my locates are done on time....right USIC guys? RIGHT!?!?!?!?
    True dat!!!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Precision, I'm kinda familiar with the locating scene around Portland. It's kinda heavy with private locating companies. You can do it, but its a long rough road. If you are trying for small contracts, you have to keep a close eye on bid dates. ODOT bid a couple of weeks back, not sure when tri-met bids. There are a couple of small water companies, but nothing that will be consistent.

Are you looking north of the boarder as well? (Washington)

If you are curious, feel free to pm me and I can give you a quick run down of the RFP process and a couple of places to check

Mke

Years of Experience

welcome PL to the vine !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato