Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, i'm the new girl! (USIC ?'s)

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello, i'm the new girl! (USIC ?'s)

Signature spammers. They think their signature will show immediately but I have a minimum post count set so the sigs don't show up until you reach the minimum.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    20+

You either love this line of work and not being tied to a desk or you don't. Sadly, most folks don't stick around long enough to get so good at it that it becomes fairly easy. USIC does'nt help matters by pushing for production too early because they want the all mighty dollar for the investors. @professional locator..currently running on three hrs sleep after that drunk/pole accident at bar time last night then not being able to sleep,then heading right to work. A good supervisor does help matters. just my 2 cents

Ok I started locating when I was 19 at good ol' Utiliquest locating Power and phone down in SC. 2 years later we lost both contracts to USIC. I was offered a job at USIC for a little bit more money and a better area. I had heard horror stories but I needed the money so I accepted the job. In my opinion USIC is a lot better (no esketch or Drivecam), they provide better equipment and their training courses are lot better even though I only took the 1 day class to get certified in gas, l felt like I learned more that day and was better prepared than the 4 weeks at UQ. and all the new locators that started were only given lot tickets for the first month or so until they felt comfortable. Im sure PA does it the same way. This job is definitely not easy but it is interesting and if you do you job right it can be enjoyable. The best advice i can offer is to keep going and you will reach a point one day where it will all click and make sense. It takes a few months to figure out how to do the job efficiently so just stick to it! Production will come with time!!!! don't miss anything trying to get lots of tickets done. Take your time and no shortcuts and production will fix its self!!
    -JLS

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    The sad fact is with any locating company, most supervisors became sups because they couldn't cut as a locator. Instead of getting booted out, they got promoted up.
    **cough**Bullshit**cough**

Come out and do your job correctly and thats how you get promoted to be a supervisor. You have to know how to locate if your going to supervise locators. How the hell would you help troubleshoot if you have failed as a locator.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KrZyMiC View Post

Come out and do your job correctly and thats how you get promoted to be a supervisor. You have to know how to locate if your going to supervise locators. How the hell would you help troubleshoot if you have failed as a locator.
    In a halfway normal job atmosphere, you are 100% correct.... However, locating is far from normal. In the locating world, Leads are typically experienced locators. However Sups and DM's are guys with enough experience to talk, but they are usually there to follow the guidelines. All they need to do is send the right people out to a job, and what to say to the correct people. I know of a Sup for a company in my area, he had less then 2yrs locating experience before he was moved up. He was moved up cause he could follow rules, not because he was a great locator. I've only known a handful of great locators, and you wanna know what? They are still locating. Yes, most of them for their own company, but they are still laying down paint.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

If the locate company is being run correctly you are correct. If it is run as the old boy system or family member system then management positions go to these people regardless of their skills. Also a firm is hesitant to promote their best locators because they cannot replace them with comparable techs.

A supervisor must be able to help out their locators when there is something in the ground they cannot locate. So good skills as a locator is really needed to do the job right.

A really big skill also needed is the ability to run others. Not to just give orders but to motivate, often limited by company policy, and develop employees. You need people skills.

A work ethic that makes you available to do the job. No 'working from home' where the sup stays at home all day and handles everything by phone. Then when some tech in the field needs help send another tech rather than go themselves. (I had one sup who every time he was on the phone I could hear his kids in the background)

(In the old days when a two way radio was used and we could all hear every conversation we had on sup who was always too far away to help anybody. If one of his techs called he said he was on the far side of the county. Five minutes later a tech on that side of the county would call and he was now no where near that area. Only sup I ever knew who had a mach 2 capable truck.)

The sup also has to be available 24/7/365. If a tech needs to call at 1AM, or any time, to notify that they cannot be in the next day the sup has to answer that phone when it rings. if one of their locators is oncall and needs help at 2AM that supervisor needs to answer the phone and head out to the work site.

Years of Experience

I can only speak to my experience going from locator to supervisor back to locator. I took a promotion to supervisor 18 mos. after being hired as a newbie. I was a good locator, nice production and 0 at-fault damages in a fairly easy area. I quickly learned leaps and bounds more about locating the next two yrs. as field supervisor. With trouble-shooting and assisting my locators in the most difficult 3-way area in So. Ill. The whole time I was supervisor, I was regularly locating everyday having 3 counties assigned to myself. All the while performing normal supervisor duties. Filling in when a locator would call-off last minute for whatever reason. Still, having no at-fault damages. My supervisor that hired me was a previous locator who knew everything about locating and frequently located on a regular basis, and was always there to help when you needed it.

So I guess it's all in where you are and what co. you start with. I willingly chose to relocate and go back to being just a locator, but I value the experience I had at being a supervisor because I learned so much and it has only allowed me to be that much better at my job.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    The sad fact is with any locating company, most supervisors became sups because they couldn't cut as a locator. Instead of getting booted out, they got promoted up.

In a halfway normal job atmosphere, you are 100% correct.... However, locating is far from normal. Sups and DM's are guys with enough experience to talk, but they are usually there to follow the guidelines. All they need to do is send the right people out to a job, and what to say to the correct people. I know of a Sup for a company in my area, he had less then 2 yrs locating experience before he was moved up. He was moved up cause he could follow rules, not because he was a great locator.

mke
    Hello KrZyMiC - Welcome to the Cable Vine! I am happy you decided to become a member and comment on my blanket statement, "most sups became sups because they couldn't cut it as a locator." To be more accurate, I should have begun my statement with, "It has been my experience............"

My intent was not to paint with a wide brush all sups could not locate themselves out of a paper bag. Quite the contrary. In my 15+ years of locating, I have been overseen by six supervisors. All became sups from the ranks of locators. Four sups was a waste of my breath asking for help on a locate. They usually sent me a noob. The other two sups could still teach me a thing or two today. Of all the sups in my Metro area that I could comfortably entrust for help on a difficult locate, it boils down to two.

Mke said it best. Sups become sups because they can follow the rules. It is not because they are good locators.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Well I dont stand by the "work till dark routine". If my supervisor wants,say 15 tickets done in 9 hours for example...if I do more than 15 in less than 9...I go home.
    Ive done this job for over 5 years,I dont really enjoy it,but I have become good at it and most days have no problem hitting the "daily expectations". Yes this my job,but I also have a wife and kids and I refuse to work till dark everyday.
    If you have worked as a locator for say over 2 years you should be able to get a decent amount of tickets per day finished and not have to work till dark.
    There is always the next day to get things done,I live by that motto.

Years of Experience

Guess my last post didnt really answer any questions about working at USIC.

Pros-You will make alot more than $8.50 per hour,AND you have a take home vehicle.
    Thats pretty much it.

Its a busy,stressful,outdoor job.

It is a business and they will preach tickets per hour once you become comfortable with the job. Because tickets are how the company makes a profit.

Insurance for a family is EXPENSIVE over $250 per paycheck. BUT there is ALOT of overtime to be had from April to November....so there you go my 2 cents.

Good luck if you join USIC.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by radar o reily View Post
    You either love this line of work and not being tied to a desk or you don't. Sadly, most folks don't stick around long enough to get so good at it that it becomes fairly easy. USIC does'nt help matters by pushing for production too early because they want the all mighty dollar for the investors. @professional locator..currently running on three hrs sleep after that drunk/pole accident at bar time last night then not being able to sleep,then heading right to work. A good supervisor does help matters. just my 2 cents
    The thing is...if you become good AND fast at locating,it is expected from then on.

I did the locating thing for a bit and to be quite honest it was way better than the job I had before. If you are dedicated and honest then you will do well. The good thing about that industry is that you can go anywhere you want and have a job once you gain experience. Good Luck.

Holy cow! This thread is awsome! OP is a one time poster and a chick, all the USIC lovers/haters post their say (thread goes adrift), indipedents post their opinion of the job, now hossain razib from Bangladish is going to join the action!

Please, please, please, oh, PLEASE! OP come back and tell us your thoughts of our industry based on this thread. Hahahaha!

Just awsome.

Hope someone else sees the humor of this all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12