Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone.

Years of Experience

Default Hello everyone.

Hi. New guy here. I am a 32 year old male from Iowa. Haven't started my job yet but as long as I pass my drug test and background check on Tuesday then I will be starting training here in Iowa on June 6. I wont have any problem passing either of these. I don't do drugs and I'm not a criminal. Kind of excited and kinda scared too. I left a secure job of 13 years to try my hand at locating. Hopefully it all works out fine.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hello everyone.

welcome to the board I wish you luck... but it is pretty risky to leave secure job of 13 years to get into locating... rookies do not have the same stability as veterans... if you take 1 damage they might just get rid of you.. locating is certainly not a secure job... it is interesting work and keeps you going all day, good luck and I hope you stick around
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Years of Experience
    30+

Welcome Steve.

Any relation to David Dodds with Pipehorn?

Post often. If you have any questions ask and you will receive many answeres. Most likely the same with a different twist. I will be starting a new job in Memphis on the 13th of june also. Just watch the locate you are on and do not think about the future locate until you are done with the curent on. You will always try to think if there is something else you forgot.

Years of Experience

No Steve Dodds isn't my real name. I don't really know if it would be a good idea to post my real name on here so for now I am not going to. I know its pretty risky but my other job was a dead end. I hadn't seen a raise in 3.5 years. I'm pretty flippin nervous about it but I haven't burnt bridges with my old boss so I could probably return to it if I had to. From the limited information that I have this line of work is going to be right up my alley. I love getting out and doing things. Metal detecting is my all time favorite hobby. I like pouring over old maps and finding places where old towns or old buildings once stood.

Years of Experience
    30+

Yes it is always better not to use your real name. My bosses at USIC didn't take long to figure out who I was. But hey what the hell.

Like I said before ask questions and YOU will get answers. There is a welth of info on here. I have been doing Damage Prevention for 25 years.

Years of Experience

welcome I work west side of the state hope you are not taking my place ! Good luck and ring if you need anything

Usic??

Hey Steve,
    I spent a bit of time walking behind a GPX4500 too, when Gold went over $1000 an ounce I sold the locator for a grand more than I paid for it !! , My old GP3000 does just as well , never found any nuggets with either !! But found a great snake infested abandoned mining town in WA - should dig the pictures out !! ( thats West Australia not Washington) Now I walk behing a cable locator instead !!

Years of Experience

Well lots of luck with the new job and I hope you enjoy your stay here with us.

Years of Experience

Everything is good to go with my job. I pick up my company vehicle tonight.

Years of Experience

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Can anybody give me some tips and pointers on what to expect next week with the training. Also, what should I bring with me? How should I dress?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    Can anybody give me some tips and pointers on what to expect next week with the training. Also, what should I bring with me? How should I dress?
    Regards dress, you do not have a copy of the company dress code yet. So wear work boots, not sneakers and never sandals. Some places require a steel or composite toe boot so it would not hurt to get a boot with crush protection over the toes. Also it is common to require the boots to cover the ankles which is a 6" boot.

No shorts is a good bet and long pants protect your legs from being scratched up by brush and from poison ivy. If weather permits a long sleeve shirt through most places permit short sleeves. I say long sleeves becasue they protect your arms from both sunburn and thorns.

Bring something to drink and eat as you may not be in an area where food and drink are readily available. Since you are in training you are likely to be in a classroom but in locating you never know where you will end up.

A small notebook to write notes in and a couple of pens and pencils. You'd be surprised how many people show up for class with nothing to write with.

If its USIC training. Boring and worthless. You learn more about policy/procedures than you do about actually locating. That training you'll get in the field. When you do ride alongs pay attention and ask questions. This is where you'll learn about locating.

As towards dress. With USIC as long as you have ankle high or higher boots, doesnt have to be steel toe. Shorts are allowed just no nut huggers. Any type of T shirt but no cut off sleeves, profanity, or obscene pics/gestures.

Years of Experience

I tell you what... Training wasn't what I'd call "worthless", but you can tell that the bean counters want it to be more like college coursework than job training. The first week you'll go over a bunch of safety and driving. Basically common sense. Get there at least 15 minutes early every day. Jeans, boots and a polo are fine. Even a tshirt, but remember these are the guys you want to impress. Halfway through they'll give you your lime green safety shirts, and I actually got ripped on by the trainer for not wearing them after I got 'em.

Get ready for a lot of memorization. The tests have some questions that have two or three right answers, but there is one in particular they are looking for. If you have a good trainer he'll make sure to emphasize the answers they are looking for. These guys don't want you to fail, they sink a lot of money into you. They'll let you retake a test three times, and trust me, you'd have to be really really slow to actually fail on the third try.

You'll be fine, just keep your chin up, and pay attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast