Thread: Hello all...I hope I can get some help.

Default Hello all...I hope I can get some help.

I just found this site and looks really cool. I used to work for utilquest here in nashville and was just let go. I just wanted to see if anyone else worked here in nashville and had any kind of troubles here. I enjoyed the work and i felt that I did it well, but all of the little rules and ticket assignments were very unorganized and never given out well. I was let go because I did not follow directions, and my instructions were to go out and remark an area that I recently remarked a week ago, with no tickets to show that I was there, the crew on site hit the ATT 25pair and claimed they could not see the line, the damage invetigator said that my marks were there but faded a littlebit(it rained on the day of remarking), I was et go because i didnt go and reamrk that day they hit the line. When I was let go, a supervisor under the GM told me that he was looking for reasons to let some individuals go. My question is was I let go for faulty reasons.

Years of Experience
    na

Default Re: Hello all...I hope I can get some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtab View Post
    I just found this site and looks really cool. I used to work for utilquest here in nashville and was just let go. I just wanted to see if anyone else worked here in nashville and had any kind of troubles here. I enjoyed the work and i felt that I did it well, but all of the little rules and ticket assignments were very unorganized and never given out well. I was let go because I did not follow directions, and my instructions were to go out and remark an area that I recently remarked a week ago, with no tickets to show that I was there, the crew on site hit the ATT 25pair and claimed they could not see the line, the damage invetigator said that my marks were there but faded a littlebit(it rained on the day of remarking), I was et go because i didnt go and reamrk that day they hit the line. When I was let go, a supervisor under the GM told me that he was looking for reasons to let some individuals go. My question is was I let go for faulty reasons.
    If your asked to do something by your supervisor within a reasonable scope of your job description and you decline, I think they can pretty much justify firing you without any recourse...Exception being- safety issue or physical limitation...

I understand your point of policy and procedure, but there is always that catch phrase in company handbooks of how practices can change at any time(written or verbal)... In other words- just like prints are a guide, so are policys governing most jobs. You most likely signed something that stated that when hired...

Any supervisor that tells you to execute a task within reason has to get done, unless you make an attempt to supercede it up the chain of command... If you do the chain of command scenario, you must do it immediately, or still face being fired for insubordination...

Ps - I hate to sound like I know so much since I have never needed to defend such issue...

I walk before it gets to that...
    Last edited by USIC1; August 31st, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Years of Experience

Your GM (Gary) is a ASS. You got let go over some dull. He is like that you are not the first person that he had done that to.I used to work in Knoxville for UtiliQuest I have had runs in with that Ass my self.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure I follow. You said you did remark it or you didn't remark it? I ask this because you said your marks had faded since it rained the day of remarking.

If you did remark it then they did fire you for bogus reasons. If you didn't remark it then maybe they were justified. There are other variables to take into consideration I'm sure.

I really don't think it is worth firing anyone over a 25 pair copper cable.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    na

If you had pics and manifest for the original ticket, and pics for the second visit you should have enough evidence to make a case that you performed the work...

Why dont you mention a camera???

Cameras mandatory these days in contract locating...

Years of Experience

if you can afford to move to louisiana we'll put you right back to work if everything checks out of course..... they probably losing money over there and had to cut some fat away.....sorry to make it sound like that.....boss says to do then you have to do it that's the end of story......it was probably not right what they did to you but .....we all are hired at their will so we all are at-will employees .....they can get away with anything they want to..........we lose!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

thank you guys for your responses. yes they did videoed the site where the cut happen, and found that the paint was there as well as flags. like i was saying the paint was faded because of rain thru out the day. and that was documented. also a little fyi to add to this, the gm now cannot fire anyone here in mid tn without corporates approval now. he has the highest turnover in the nation.at 50%

Years of Experience

if he has the highest turnover rates..........he is definetely from Louisiana!!!!! good luck dude in your next career
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Default Arizona

Does anyone know of any other locating contractors in Arizona other than ELM? Thanks

Years of Experience

uti i think are in arizona????