Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Just found out about the Cable vine yesterday at a conference for ND One Call figured I could check it out today, since it is 33 below zero outside. I work for the City of Bismarck in ND mostly dealing with whiteway lights and traffic signals for the last three years. Come with a fair amount of locating and fault finding ( over 130 faults found and fixxed in our systems summer of 2009). So ya thats about it

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hello

lol, welcome dude...loving the handle!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. Post often.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

welcome to the vine dude......post often about your side of the world.....take care
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome FS enjoy the show.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Welcome To The Show Stay Away From Usic1 He Starts Junk With Everyone He Talks Too

Years of Experience

Hey sniffer - Welcome Aboard!

Years ago during the month of July, I worked as temporary help for 2 weeks in Fargo as a fill-in for an office manager vacancy. I stayed in a hotel in Moorehead, Minnesota and walked to the office in Fargo. On my early morning walks to the office it was chilly enough that I could see my breath! I walked past an aluminum foundry every day. The foundry's front yard was littered with native Americans sleeping on the grass waiting for the morning whistle to go to work.

As I walked to the office, I had to cross over the Red River of the North that splits Fargo and Moorehead. That was the first time in my life I ever witnessed a major river flowing north. Speaking of rivers, the Missouri River flows thru my city; same as your's.

The Missouri flows out of the Rockies into Bismark. The fine folks in Bismark suck that crystal-clear water out of the river, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down the river to Pierre, South Dakota.

The fine folks at Pierre suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to Souix City, Iowa.

The fine folks at Souix City suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to Omaha, Nebraska.

The fine folks at Omaha suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to Kansas City.

The fine folks at Kansas City suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to St. Louis.

The fine folks at St. Louis watch Budwieser suck up their poop and pee that's also in the river water to make beer. So, there is a little bit of Bismark in every can of BUD! Thanks for the contribution!

Speaking of contributions, please post often on the'Vine.

----------------------------------------------

33- thats horrible when locating. Thats also the cold snap moving toward my frozen tundra. Hope its not quite that cold when it arrives. Welcome aboard!

Hey Wingfoot that must be why I drink Miller Lite.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Welcome aboard faultsnififer! Lot's o good info shared here.

Great name because yes you can smell the damage of an electrical fault in the earth before you dig it up.

Do you know if anyone has tried using dogs to locate electrical cable faults?

Thought about training my next lab to find faults but I dont think the city would pay her very well.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Faultsniffer View Post
    Thought about training my next lab to find faults but I dont think the city would pay her very well.
    I was thinking of cadaver dogs that find buried bodies whose smell we cannot otherwise detect.

I have hunted faults using a simple voltmeter to usual success. Today's crews do have some fault locating equipment for secondaries but I have seen problems finding faults even with these. I cannot help but think that it occurred to someone to train a dog to find buried secondary faults. These tend to burn awhile underground, often for days or even weeks before they fail. The smell like that of a buried body may come up through the soil and be detected by a dog.

Dogs may work but for most jobs electronic equipment is enough and do not pee in your truck.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Hey sniffer - Welcome Aboard!

Years ago during the month of July, I worked as temporary help for 2 weeks in Fargo as a fill-in for an office manager vacancy. I stayed in a hotel in Moorehead, Minnesota and walked to the office in Fargo. On my early morning walks to the office it was chilly enough that I could see my breath! I walked past an aluminum foundry every day. The foundry's front yard was littered with native Americans sleeping on the grass waiting for the morning whistle to go to work.

As I walked to the office, I had to cross over the Red River of the North that splits Fargo and Moorehead. That was the first time in my life I ever witnessed a major river flowing north. Speaking of rivers, the Missouri River flows thru my city; same as your's.

The Missouri flows out of the Rockies into Bismark. The fine folks in Bismark suck that crystal-clear water out of the river, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down the river to Pierre, South Dakota.

The fine folks at Pierre suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to Souix City, Iowa.

The fine folks at Souix City suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to Omaha, Nebraska.

The fine folks at Omaha suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to Kansas City.

The fine folks at Kansas City suck up the river water, drink it, pee in it, poop in it, then flush it down to St. Louis.

The fine folks at St. Louis watch Budwieser suck up their poop and pee that's also in the river water to make beer. So, there is a little bit of Bismark in every can of BUD! Thanks for the contribution!

Speaking of contributions, please post often on the'Vine.

----------------------------------------------

Welcome !!!

Now we know what happened to Yahoo... Is nt he at the end of the run???

DAMN!!!
    Last edited by USIC1; January 11th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.