Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Default Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Paintcan - Welcome to theVine. It's quite a transition to be one of them when you were once one of us. If you have been in the field locating for 7 years, then you already know the answer to your initial question.

It's ironic you have chosen the handle "Paintcan." My only issue I feel safe to share is paint cans. Why does corporate insist on buying water based paint? Solvent based paint is a locator's friend; especially in the fall, winter and early spring months. Water based paint SUCKS and is a scourge on locators north of the Gulf of Mexico. I fight the non-rattling, non-flowing, nozzle-freezing, water-based paint cans when the temp dips below 30 degrees. For me that's 5 months a year - Wisc & Minnesota 7+ months a year. Every year for me it seems this shitty water-based paint's winter performance gets worse. My frustration in this area falls on deaf ears.............

I worked around trucking companies maintenance facilities for many years before locating. One wise mechanic told me, "If you keep the driver's heads cold in the summer and their feet hot in the winter, everything else just falls into place." As for locators - Give us good equipment and paint that will flow when it's chilly outside, everything else just falls into place.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Two reason #1 is Money #2 Is EPA and Homeowners. Oil base products kill grass and those lovly flowers we locate for.

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Advanceman:

You may or may not know that consolidated walked away from their fringe contract in Edmonton.

Aren't you on vacation? Didn't know, don't pay much attention to who holds what contracts anymore. That was 3 yrs ago. I still see their trucks around, and sometimes I run into their locators on site asking me stupid questions like "What frequency are you on?" Just get er' done!

Paintcan, don't mistake my low tolerance for bulls#$T for unhappiness. Been there already. I could tell you worked in an office right away.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Paintcan View Post
    Two reasons #1 is Money - #2 Is EPA and Homeowners. Oil base products kill grass and those lovely flowers we locate for.
    With all due respect, your response doesn't pass the smell test with me. You speak as an owner, a buyer or a poser. A 7 year locator knows solvent based paint does not kill vegetation; not even the most delicate plants that get hammered by renewal after renewal. An owner or a buyer has the thought process of a tire is a tire, a truck is a truck, a transmitter is a transmitter, a receiver is a receiver, paint is paint - the initial price is the only deciding factor on what's best for the workers to do their job. What it costs to make it work is never considered (like keeping the trucks idling all day in below freezing temperatures with the heaters on kill just to keep the shitty paint that's warehoused in the cab usable). Of course, the only exception is toilet paper for the office shitter. That we can always splurge for.............. Sorry if I come across as a little brash, but we have a guy that likes to stir up trouble using different handles. I hate being tricked............

So how do u locate behind a desk? Many High Profile plant there?

Years of Experience

[font="Arial Black"][size="4"]With all due respect, your response doesn't pass the smell test with me. You speak as an owner, a buyer or a poser. A 7 year locator knows solvent based paint does not kill vegetation; not even the most delicate plants that get hammered by renewal after renewal. An owner or a buyer has the thought process of a tire is a tire, a truck is a truck, a transmitter is a transmitter, a receiver is a receiver, paint is paint - the initial price is the only deciding factor on what's best for the workers to do their job. What it costs to make it work is never considered (like keeping the trucks idling all day in below freezing temperatures with the heaters on kill just to keep the shitty paint that's warehoused in the cab usable).

Been locating for 7 years, yeah right. After 1 summer locating you know this.
    Paintcan knows nothing of paint. All i've ever used is solvent based, it's never killed any grass.

Years of Experience

ummm...in regards to the paint, you frankly need to talk to your Ops Coordinator. (he's the guy that yells at you when your comp wont reboot, your reciever gets dropped, or your oil needed changing 7k miles ago )

THEY are responsible for finding the suppliers for paint products, (everything else too), and usually go for the water based paint because it's cheaper and the wholesalers will cut nice deals on it. At the end of the quarter when the ops guy hands in a low cost budget sheet...guess who gets a bonus.

Yeah kinda an ugly implication, but it's the truth.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    ummm...in regards to the paint, you frankly need to talk to your Ops Coordinator. (he's the guy that yells at you when your comp wont reboot, your reciever gets dropped, or your oil needed changing 7k miles ago )

THEY are responsible for finding the suppliers for paint products, (everything else too), and usually go for the water based paint because it's cheaper and the wholesalers will cut nice deals on it. At the end of the quarter when the ops guy hands in a low cost budget sheet...guess who gets a bonus.

Yeah kinda an ugly implication, but it's the truth.
    1st of all: Welcome RDW.
    From the somewhat unreliable info we here around these parts, is that all buying decisions are now company wide. Everything seems to have some strings attached for someone. I now just use more to get less done. What an unfortunate waste of resources (including time). Just like this new fueling crap at only a small number of stations (all show a 1.5 cent discount per gal.) The great part is the station across the street from me is 5 cents cheaper and not 4 miles out of my way. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy my job; but I need to quibble sometimes. For those above the locator position watching us post; Remember, we need a place to vent. We have an abundance of respectable dialouge that gets overlooked. We are not looking to get anyone bounced from here. I believe it is essential to get issues off our mind, so we can work with a clear cognizant head on our shoulders.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    1st of all: Welcome RDW.
    From the somewhat unreliable info we here around these parts, is that all buying decisions are now company wide. Everything seems to have some strings attached for someone. I now just use more to get less done. What an unfortunate waste of resources (including time). Just like this new fueling crap at only a small number of stations (all show a 1.5 cent discount per gal.) The great part is the station across the street from me is 5 cents cheaper and not 4 miles out of my way. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy my job; but I need to quibble sometimes. For those above the locator position watching us post; Remember, we need a place to vent. We have an abundance of respectable dialouge that gets overlooked. We are not looking to get anyone bounced from here. I believe it is essential to get issues off our mind, so we can work with a clear cognizant head on our shoulders.
    You're thinking like a locator (not a bad thing) rather than a corporate entity. It is illogical to purchase supplies and/or equipment on a company wide basis. Local suppliers (wholesalers) provide a better source of discounts etc.

Hence, the multiple differing locators we use in any given area, equipment is different in Michigan than from Oklahoma, paint brands are different in Florida than they are in Louisianna. If purchases were made company wide, we'd all be using one type of locator, one brand of paint, one style flag...you get my point.

Nope your friendly neighborhood Ops guy handles the purchases (with a carefully monitored leash mind you) and it is he (or she) that makes the end call to buy water based paints for two reasons A. in order to utilise the budgeted moneys on something else (like new comps) or B. to insure the quarterly/annual budgets come in under or on target to insure he gets his incentive. Nothing wrong with it really, it's just the way it is. We all gotta make a living.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    ummm...in regards to the paint, you frankly need to talk to your Ops Coordinator.

The Ops Coordinator is responsible for finding the suppliers for paint products, (everything else too), and usually go for the water based paint because it's cheaper.
    RD - In Colorado, you may be fortunate enough to have an open line of communication with your buyer (Ops Coordinator) who purchases paint and supplies locally. My company buys pallets of paint direct from the manufacturer by the truck load for all it's districts nationwide. There is no dealing with a local supplier. And there is no need for my input either.

-----------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

With all due respect, your response doesn't pass the smell test with me. You speak as an owner, a buyer or a poser. An owner or a buyer has the thought process of a tire is a tire, a truck is a truck, a transmitter is a transmitter, a receiver is a receiver, paint is paint - the initial price is the only deciding factor on what's best for the workers to do their job. What it costs to make it work is never considered. Of course, the only exception is toilet paper for the office shitter. That we can always splurge for..............

Aaron Crowe
    May 9th 2009 at 3:00PM

Riverside County in California is doing its part to save money during the recession -- cutting back from four-ply toilet paper to two-ply for the approximately 100 executives who had the cushy four-ply until whistleblowers uncovered their expensive habit.

In a government where all county workers are taking a 10% pay cut to help cut huge budget shortfalls, Riverside County leaders decided to do what they can to save on the 500,000 roles the county buys each year -- its biggest volume purchase, with $270,000 spent on toilet paper in 2008, according to a New York Times story.

The county had one-ply sheets up until two years ago, when a supervisor led a board move to go to the softer two-ply after criticism that one-ply wasn't good enough.

But somewhere down the road, the county's 10 elected officials, the executive leadership and their staff members started using Angel Soft four-ply toilet tissue -- less than 100 people among 18,500 county workers.

Four-ply is less than a third of a penny per sheet more expensive than two-ply, and it had to go.

My question is, how did someone decide that their behind was good enough for four-ply, but that the other 18,400 workers didn't deserve it?

A county spokesman, Tom Freeman, told the Times: "There was a texture test, and then the Facilities Management Department decided that Angel Soft would be utilized for elected officials and their guests. The remainder of the county facilities would be using two-ply."

---------------------------------------------------

I have been in this industry a long long time and I see nothing has changed as far as contract locating. Many promises made with the carrot dangling in front to keep you going. Same lines used by management as well as the same excuses. My advice to other locators is to master your trade, know your equipment and build your reputation! Remember your mark is your signature. If you do this you can pretty much pick any place you want to work or even better start your own company and answer to only yourself.

Years of Experience

I love being a stereotype.........

And also love the fact that nothing any of you describe above resembles my company at all. Maybe we are doing something right after all!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    I love being a stereotype.........

And also love the fact that nothing any of you describe above resembles my company at all. Maybe we are doing something right after all!
    You should be proud to have a company that is built on integrity and hard work that respects the individuals who got you there OVUS. If only others would learn from your example, and focus on quality, and appreciation of those that push the wheel.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    na

"push the wheel"????

You must mean- "toe the line" or something???

idiots originating idioms is taboo you know...

ps - crap I think wing gigged me on one that I flubbed up...oh well
    Last edited by USIC1; May 11th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12