Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: got the job with usic any advice for training

Default Re: got the job with usic any advice for training

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Corey, I waited 3 years for my position to come open. Once it was open and I applied, I had to wait 2 and a half months to get an interview. After the interview I had to wait 2 weeks for the phone call stating that it was mine.

Patience is a virtue, its also a pain in the a$$

mke
    Mke, Thanks for the insight... I really want and need the position. I don't mind waiting, the problem is, I NEED the work! All the same, I am hopeful and feel good about it all.

Only make USIC a stepping stone for your locate career Grasshopper , for if you stay too long ,your career will be
    gone.I did 4 tours with CLS/USIC or 10 years,loved the job ,hated the Co's MO,very evil & disrespectful bunch of
    wankers.Good luck if your still there.

Well good luck with that. Make sure if you need something to drink you bring it with you. You'll have no time for personal stops. They'd rather you drink the paint than make an unscheduled stop.

I agree with wingfoot. I learn something new every day. Locators hew take pride in there work should be the ones hew train new locators in the field.They should be allowed to train the newbees without having to rush a locate( in other words no quota and no tickets due or past due)will they are training they should be patient and willing to awnser questions from there trainees for months down the road. I always took a great dill of pride when my trainee became a good or even a great locator with no damages. A trainee should be able to hit the road running with confidence when released from training.... but this is just my opinion.
    Now, what the ---- did I do with that ped wrench???????????

I learn new things all the time. Hard not too if the lights are on, and your in the field lol. I was fortunate to have the best trainer ever at the beginning of my locator career. They literally put me with the most veteran guy on the crew 15+ years with the company, and had me ride with him for 3 months strait. The first few days he had me pulling all his maps for him and routing him until I mastered the 4-5 different map software quick enough to pull them up between locates. He took his time and didn't rush locates. Had me unbond every house, explain all the small details of the job. Pair counts, material type identification, what and who were the good/bad contractors in the area...all the useful stuff you'd want to know as a noob. They gave him all the big dig jobs, so it was really a great opportunity to have him training, because it was quick to get familiar with all the utility systems (as we located everything but water in the area) Anyways, I still look back to this day and am very thankful I had a great trainer. Very rare for people in this area to get more then a weeks worth of training at the time too lol.

I wonder how these new guys are doing. I would like a critique on their training and how well it is serving them in the field. I hope everything is going well. If not, maybe USIC will be sold again soon (the industry's big hot potato) and the new owners will bring in new trainers. Better yet, trainers with RFID chips embeded under their skin so upper management can moniter the ammount of BS their filling the news guys full of. Yea,...

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I still remember one of the first guys I ever rode with - 10+ year locating veteran and was a saint in terms of patience and Good-natured tolerance. Of the handful of people I first traveled with, only after meeting him was I convinced to stay in the profession.

If they give you an obnoxious and corner cutting 'spend an hour to save a minute' type of locator just make sure you ride along with at least one other person to get another opinion.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by FailedSafetyAudit View Post
    If they give you an obnoxious and corner cutting 'spend an hour to save a minute' type of locator just make sure you ride along with at least one other person to get another opinion.
    Can't stress that ^^^^^ enough!!!!!!
    well said...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123