Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: got the job with usic any advice for training

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: got the job with usic any advice for training

whoa whoa whoa..... wait a minute.....

If you really are looking to apply for a job with any locating company, you'll have to change your moniker on this website. As good as this website is, the fact that you have came here for information may be a deterent for prospective employers.

We tell about evil things like inducing or passive sweeps, we may even tell of tricks used to help locate difficult utilities, that companies have deemed......... wait for it.....

"Against Company Policy".

Just some advise.

Welcome to the vine, and don't let the man keep you down.

Mke

Years of Experience
    30+

We have never paid for training in our neck of the woods. Up in your neck of the woods must have better management.

Study, study, study......vocab will be important. Try to pick the brains of the senior tchs once you are out there on your own.

Thumbs down Re: got the job with usic any advice for training

Applying for a job with USIC???? Say it isn't so,,,,

The question for John and Caregiver, What kind of experience do yall have before coming to USIC, like have yall did any kind of Utility Work before?

There is a book actually. It's called "Introduction to locating burried utilities". Search for it on Amazon, was published within the last few years. Good for someone getting into locating.
    New England Subsurface Imaging
    CT Certified WBE/SBE
    Concrete Imaging, Utility Locating

http://www.nesubsurface.com

Congrats!

How long does it take to be notified by USIC that you landed the job after the face-to-face? They said we would hear either way and the two days they mentioned have been a week or more. They said the would notify eiter way... and the stats on the website still says "under review"... Any insight, would be great...

Thanks,
    Corey

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I would give them a call. You will find out either way. If you didn't get hired you won't be walking around, wondering. Employers like it when people follow up as long as you aren't pestering them.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Thanks! I have called. They said that everything was in order and they would contact me if they needed any more info. In the interview, they said they let the canditates know either way... I was just curious how long some of you waited... if it was longer than they mentioned, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sundropmaster View Post
    The question for John and Caregiver, What kind of experience do yall have before coming to USIC, like have yall did any kind of Utility Work before?
    no i didnt have any background with utilities at all although i have a extensive saftey background there were a couple guy in training with me that did have locating background and it seemed to hurt them more than help them . and to the guy asking about paid training and hotels the rule is if you are doing company bussiness you must be paid for it and if you are far from home to train they put you up in the baymont at their cost and give you a 27 dollar a day allownce at least thats how it works in grandrapids

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Go to:

They have a locating 101 manual.

Hey UULC - Thumbs Up! This referral is a GREAT site for learning more about our trade! Thanks Man!

----------------------------------------------------------

USIC Has Good trainers - listen to them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
    They do, so you know all of them across the states? Some areas of course will have good trainers and some areas dont! I feel for the ones who have know idea what they are in for, when they go out into the field and the didn't have a good trainer...more than likely they wont be around for long.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sundropmaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
    They do? Some areas of course will have good trainers and some areas don't! I feel for the ones who have no idea what they are in for when they get into the field and they didn't have a good trainer... More than likely, they won't be around for long.
    I have been with SM&P/USIC since 1997. Looking back, my initial training was very good; a 6 week training program with many field trips and quality classroom time getting the basic understanding of all my prints. I felt I had the confidence and experience of a 6 month noob right out of class.

I never spent another day of classroom instruction after my 6 weeks of training. I received all my advanced training and knowledge from my mentors - Paul, Red, Mark, Jon, Wes & Jeff. Training after the initial 3 week indoctrination these days is also non-existent. I would like to see this changed.

I would like to see every green noob being permanently matched with a competent mentor right out of class. I would like to see follow-up training camps led by a knowledgeable, veteran locator for the 6 month noobs. I would also like to see the 1 year locators, even the more tenured locators, get advanced training through classroom instruction, with input by a knowledgeable, veteran locator, to learn the deeper levels of all their prints.

I have assisted locators with over 4 years of experience that didn't have a thorough understanding of any of their prints. I'm the first person to admit that I don't have all the answers; but I damn sure know EVERY aspect of ALL my prints............. Because I can say that, there is no splice pit, intersection, business complex, apartment complex, airport, utility placement project or water main break in my city of 2.6 million population that I would walk away feeling un-easy after I'm done throwing paint! - just my 2 cents.

------------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Corey, I waited 3 years for my position to come open. Once it was open and I applied, I had to wait 2 and a half months to get an interview. After the interview I had to wait 2 weeks for the phone call stating that it was mine.

Patience is a virtue, its also a pain in the a$$

mke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast