Thread: Frankyg

Smile Frankyg

Hey guys I'm not quite a locator but I have an interview for the position on Tuesday the 22nd and was looking for advice on things I should know to give me an advantage. I have three children and really need the work. Thanks to anyone that can help. I've done some research but any extra info is appreciated.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Frankyg

Quote Originally Posted by Frankyg View Post
    Hey guys I'm not quite a locator but I have an interview for the position on Tuesday the 22nd and was looking for advice on things I should know to give me an advantage. I have three children and really need the work. Thanks to anyone that can help. I've done some research but any extra info is appreciated.
    That you have the ability to show up for work. For this that you have a support system, a network of service suppliers, like childcare, and family that can assist you in things that you would otherwise have to not come into work to do.

Having three children you need to come into work and make money. But three children make three opportunities for not coming in; sick child, pick up child from school, etc. If you lack a spouse or have a spouse that works is a negative, a single parent of three children will have three times the need to not come to work.

If you have a good support system then you can mention it, otherwise keep your mouth shut. If the question of your having children does not come up then do not mention this.

Be prepared to be asked questions that are by law outright prohibited. It is common for employers to ask questions the laws say they cannot, have the answers ready.

Have a contact list of good references.

Some employers run criminal background checks, one of our clients have this as a contract requirement. This is because we enter peoples proprieties and business establishments. Especially high security government facilitates that can run on the spot background checks at the gate, if you will not be let inside they do not need you as a hire. In my area we have installations like the FBI, Secret Service, CIA, DOD, various military bases and installations that simply have no publicly released name.

Recent court cases limit the years back an offense an employer can consider for employment. You may have an old felony 20 years ago but if your record has been clean sense them they are not supposed to reject you. This is especially true if the offense is not related to the job. Killing your boss becasue you were upset is universal. Embezzlement can keep you from being a bank teller but not a construction laborer. If your employer rejects for a very old offense claiming that their client does not want you hired I remind you of the Nuremberg trials, I was just obeying orders is not a valid defense. ( We have such a contract clause and when I emailed the information to my manager the IT department sent the email back undelivered and marked as "banned content".)

This job requires working outside in all kinds of weather. A heavy rain we cannot work in but a light rain can be worked in and I have heard many complain when required to do so. We work in snow, ankle deep mud (every construction site has this) bitter cold and scorching heat. We work in the dark if need be.

We work long hours simply becasue we have time constraints on the work and cannot put it off until it is convent for the employee. We must be prepared to come in early, work late and work weekends. If a site is in the street and has too much traffic expect to come back to work late at night or early in the morning, early enough to be before morning rush hour and finish before rush hour starts, just to do that one job.

You need to indicate your ability to work extra hours as well as any extended hours.

The job requires independent action and problem solving, if you have examples of this in your past be prepared to speak of them.

Be prepared to answer questions and offer what they want to hear, but keep it to this. Here is the secret, there are so many applications for each job out here interviewers and not looking to see why you should be hired, they are looking for the reasons not to hire you. This is true for any job.

Years of Experience

I will be your best employee you have ever had in all areas !!!! I will work the areas that no else wants to work, and the weekends and extra long hours that no one else wants to work . I will be happy with whatever pay you give me....and that same pay 3 years from now ! Good Luck buddy ! hope you like it !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

man its not so bad ive been doin it for 2 and a half yrs have gotten 2 raises and 1 bonus get 13 days vacation and am lucky enough to work with a crew that understands if we dont take care of each other no one will my sup is great also their are some drawbacks hrs etc but its really not that bad wait for it wait for it i work for usic