Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Face to face

Default Re: Face to face

Oh yea, my NOOB sash is on back order. They must be busy this time of year.

Years of Experience

Hey, Indy911...Sorry your thread got pushed this direction. I hope your interview went well and that you get a response soon! I wish you the best.

Peak....you're right. You are right about the Journal article citing a premium on hourly pay. However, I think you're missing the point. It's not just the base pay that causes additional expense. I wish I had the time to lay out an full scale cost analysis for supporting a unionized shop, but unfortunately I have other pressing matters to attend. But before we drop this, I would like you to consider another point.

Based on your arguments, I'm willing to bet that you have never held a position that has assigned you with complete profit and loss responsibility for operations in Contract Locating. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as that is just an assumption). Unless you have had exposure to the P/L statements for both a union and non-union shop within this sector, I don't know that you can accurately claim that the cost differences are anything but substantial. Please consider the additional legal fees associated with frivolous arbitrations (granted some will have merit), increased expenses in benefits (though you mistakenly claim that there is no difference), and the potential for decreased productivity (there will be a some bad eggs that will lower their standard of work because of union support). These are just a few examples.

The point is this...whatever your feelings toward a collective bargaining unit, the Contract Locating industry cannot adequately support such a business model. It is not like working for a utility provider that has a diverse product offering and/or high profit margins. The budgets in this line of work are tight, and any added cost dramatically effects the bottom line.

Seems the interview went well. I talked about my favorite subject, ME.

Really had to jog the memory banks for some of the questions. The two gentlemen in the interview seemed to really care about their work and wanted the best people for the few opening they have, which I consider noble.

Supposed to hear back sometime today whether I'm in or not. Y'all keep your fingers crossed.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Hey, Indy911...Sorry your thread got pushed this direction. I hope your interview went well and that you get a response soon! I wish you the best.

Peak....you're right. You are right about the Journal article citing a premium on hourly pay. However, I think you're missing the point. It's not just the base pay that causes additional expense. I wish I had the time to lay out an full scale cost analysis for supporting a unionized shop, but unfortunately I have other pressing matters to attend. But before we drop this, I would like you to consider another point.

Based on your arguments, I'm willing to bet that you have never held a position that has assigned you with complete profit and loss responsibility for operations in Contract Locating. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as that is just an assumption). Unless you have had exposure to the P/L statements for both a union and non-union shop within this sector, I don't know that you can accurately claim that the cost differences are anything but substantial. Please consider the additional legal fees associated with frivolous arbitrations (granted some will have merit), increased expenses in benefits (though you mistakenly claim that there is no difference), and the potential for decreased productivity (there will be a some bad eggs that will lower their standard of work because of union support). These are just a few examples.

The point is this...whatever your feelings toward a collective bargaining unit, the Contract Locating industry cannot adequately support such a business model. It is not like working for a utility provider that has a diverse product offering and/or high profit margins. The budgets in this line of work are tight, and any added cost dramatically effects the bottom line.
    Unfortunately I have seen the "Union Model" all too closely...

Other issues that have to be considered;

Mandatory 15 minute breaks at 10am & 2pm, plus mandatory lunch at noon for 30 minutes...I have seen grievances filed by guys that got a phone call from their supervisor during their mandatory 15 minute break, grievances filed for being stuck at a remote location when it came time for their mandatory 30 minute lunch and they were not within a reasonable distance to a store or a location where they could obtain refreshments and access a bathroom.

I have seen clampdowns on productivity and contracts with minimum manpower requirements. Contracts that stipulate that a union locator can only perform 3 locates per hour in a two-way area or 1.5 locates per hour in a 4-way area, do the math that is 12 locates a day in a 4-way area, so if the district receives 200 tickets a day and all are in 4-way areas, you would need 16.7 (17) locators to handle the daily volume, plus supervisory staff and admin staff...let's do the math...

17 union locators at $34 per hour (according to previous statements here on the vine) that is $4624 a day in wages alone. Add benefits at another $1050 per day, add vehicles at a conservative $600/month that's $465 a day for the 17 locators alone, add insurance, fuel and maintenance at another $450 a day, add sick leave, vacation and holiday pay that adds another $410 a day in costs, add FUTA, SUTA, FICA, Medicare, 401k, etc that's another $400 a day...so raw numbers $7399 per day for this crew not counting supervision, admin, equipment, supplies, phones, computers, office furniture, office rent, liability insurances...the raw costs alone would make each locate cost $36.99.

That's right, $36.99 per ticket...know any clients willing to pay that kind of freight?

Let's say each of the utility owners in the 4-way area pays between $5 and $8 per ticket (that is the going rates in this industry for multi-way areas), say an average of $6.50 per ticket/per facility so $6.50 x 4=$26.00....it costs $36.99 so the company would be losing $13.99 for each ticket received. Wait, it is more, much more when you add in supervision, admin, equipment, supplies, phones, computers, office furniture, office rent, liability insurances.

So, is there any wonder why Bell/Sprint created and spun off No Cuts in the first place, or why so many utility owners contract out their locates, so they could get rid of the union in-house locators that were costing them so much? Or why there is so little union organization in contract locating? It would kill the industry.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Indy,

I hope you got the call back. There are a lot of us that do care about the job and doing it well. A lot of us really enjoy doing this job, just getting frustrated with the decision made in managment side that at times seem clueless.

Since the no one answered you on "damages". A damage is when someone digs in the ground and hits something. Puntures a gas main or service. Cuts through or damages in some way of electrical, phone or cable television cables. If it is not been located or mislocated it can be deemed as an at fault damage in which the company pays for it.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I grew up in a union town. I was told years and years ago some union guy mentioned inpassing that "if we keep asking for more money one day we will price ourself out of a job". Our GM plant is now closed. Any one remember when SBC or AT&T had their in house locators. The guy that didn't have to do as many tickets as you. I had a guy use to see me at a locate and pull over at next street and read his newspaper and wait for me to do the locate for a fence install. After i packed up and leave i would see him pull up and grab his paint stick because his phone was buried joint with the electric. Another guy would come back and chat with me while i did my locate and follow behind and spray paint.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

UNIONS. ACTORS AND ATHLETES, I remember when the NBA was about to strike or on strike and Patrick uwing said "they were taking food out of his kids mouth". His great grandchildren would not have to worry about money unless they become a meth head. I remember Denzel Washington the actor was on the tonight show i think. Did you know he had a with the post office? He was talking about his time there. He came in a hard charger i guess. He was sorting like crazy. He was showing up the other guys in there. They moved him to magazines and to slow him down his boss had him read a page out of every magazine that you could before sorting it. He said he had to get out of there because he was becoming an alcholic. He was spending his time in back of parking lot hidden in a mail truck drinking pints. Now i am not saying union will make you one. My opinion on unions is it just seems to stiffle people. In a union isn't it seniority? If me and joe blow start the same day and we do the same work and union guys. Our raises are set by contract so it is not by merit. Joe does just what is required and I bust my ass. Since raise already set, neither one of us can be promoted until somone, dies, retires, quits or is fired, or company expands. How long would someone or how many would go to joe blows mindset just do enough to get by. Sorry for the length it is a snow day, lol.

Well after all is said and done you can all continue making crap ass wages and bitching about work load and pissing and moaning about supervisors and crying when you get laid off and whinning about losing your bonus because of a cut. I will sit back and continue doing a good job for a very decent wage with decent working conditions and not have to worry about some back woods, slack jawed SCAB taking my job just because he is willing to do it for McDonalds wages. This continued mind bending about how much I care to do good work and nobody appreciates my efforts will just follow you from one contract firm to the next.
    Oh yeah, dont forget to wave to me when I drive past you st 6:30 at night to go out for dinner while your busting your ass just so some pin head dosen't chew you a new one. "See how good I did boss on those last tickets I completed at dark,".
    See ya suckers.

P.S. Don't forget to get the almighty Steve to ban me forever.
    By the way, I posted this on company time so I made about $5.00 in the time it took.

Years of Experience

Wow...Your eloquence amazes me. In fact, I would like to thank you for validating my claims of negative attitudes being associated with union representation.

Indy911....any word on the new job? Don't let all of this back-and-forth get you down!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yeah Indy... don't let the negativity discourage you.

Every once in a while someone comes on here spouting all the virtues of the union. It's an antiquated organization responsible for the high cost of production which translates into high overhead which in turn ends up on your utility bill. It circumvents normal market forces and rips the money directly out of our pockets so it can go straight into theirs.

Its always a pleasure when one slithers in and tells everyone else how much smarter they are.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Well folks, I guess this is my last post. The company passed on me. Said there were people with better qualifications being considered. Thanks to all of you for your input and help. Stay safe.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

D'oh....

Best of luck Indy, and keep lookin Locators love company....

mke

Years of Experience

Indy....Sorry to hear that.

Just so you know, USIC is not the only company in Indiana. Check out Bloodhound Underground or OneVision. Just depends on what part of IN you're in.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You don't have to be a Locator to join in on the chaos. Come back any time.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast