Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Face to face

Default Re: Face to face

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    So, if you have a company with 2,500 employees, a Gross Revenue of approx. $217k, and a non-union labor expense of $75k...the profit margin would be about 14%. But, if you change the numbers a little to 2,500 employees, a Gross Revenue of approx. $217k, and a UNION labor expense of $92k...the profit margin would be about -6%.
    Im not gonna question your numbers, but if you consider a union shop where the price/locate is 20% higher than the stop-at-the-bottom shop.. then does the profit margin not become equal ?

Then the locator in question could maybe afford that new Yukon. Then the tranny-installer puts in a new pool (and needs a locate) etc.

Anyhow, its moot. Too many ppl, not enough jobs. We're all heading downhill.
    .. and Thank you for shopping at Walmart.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Oh boy, the old Union debate....AGAIN. How many times have we done this over the last three years? Who gets banned this time around?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Welcome Indy.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Indy,

In the Wisc, IL and IN areas i believe it is a $14-15 hr range. Good Luck with the interview.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Indy, there are a few negative people here but the majority of folks here, myself included love their jobs. Go for it.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Indy911 View Post
    Jumped through most of the hoops and have my face to face interview coming up. I have yet to discuss pay and don't want to undervalue myself. I'm currently unemployed and collect about 330 a week. How much I should expect, or ask for, when we get to pay?

Simper Gumby
    Hey Indy - Welcome to theVine. Please post often. Check out our discussion on locator's pay on this Cable Vine thread a year and a half ago: What is a good pay scale for a locator?

----------------------------------------------------

Good Luck Indy. I'm a fello USIC employee. You should expect somewhere around $13-14 if you're in IN.

Indy, I've read a bunch tonight and can't believe all the bitching. Union, no Union; handbook good, handbook bad. I'll tell you this Indy: put up with a years worth a junk from the people above you, who will always no more than you, of course, for about a year. Hone your skills and you'll always have a job. Don't listen to the guy who teaches short cuts. And they'll be everywhere. They'll get you fired. A GOOD LOCATOR WILL ALWAYS HAVE A JOB! Companies come and go. You'll drive a truck with different logos. Who cares. I do my job and everyone leaves me alone. I never work more than I want to in a given week. Play the game, don't have damages, and stay out of the limelight. Keep a low profile, don't give anyone you meet to much personal info, and do NOT work like a slave. Once you start to work whenever and where they tell you to work, they will always expect it from. You'll get burned out and start taking damages. Then you're useless! Good luck.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ok, Wing, you aren't fooling anybody with the alias.....Just stick with Wingfoot.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

mojo,

interesting points,but i think you missed a few more. If the company uses locators as damage investigators, will the union required full time investigators? When i had a "In house" union locator following behind me and painting orange next to my red marks. They had more advance equipment. their paint sticks were also a antenna and they didn't have to hook-up either but they always found they phone right next to my electric. If i remmeber right they had one locate to do to my three and they only had to do 12 tickets in an 8 hour day. So I am sure there would have to increase their locators by how many %?, to cover those guys that would get their quota done and go find a gas station to take a nap behind.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

foxtrot,

peicework? Would you be doing a one locate ticket in an urban area? A few years ago I had two road projects and a 3 building complex which the complex had 6000 feet each of gas, phone, electric, catv and i had to locate these every few days because of multiple contractors along with trying to knock out 20 tickets of 3 ways. I have had my share of guys closing out tickets for invisble fences, cable and phone drops or foundations while parked behind of a gas station. Also it would bring back the power mode cowboys. Basically a lot of people are greedy and also lazy so these guys will close out a ticket and go home at 2 pm. Now the oncall guys and me since i probably be out later would get the call outs for the incompletes and no shows and would have to drive out of my area to complete these. I also drive anywhere between 3 to 40 minutes between tickets. I now carry at least 6 different flags for the various contracts and have 4 ways. Along with the short, emergencies and damage tickets that come in and very seldom in the area you are at and have to drive to the other side of your area. With the deveristy of the cost of living, type an amount and how many locates you have to do, to if a union is good or bad for your area, there is no one great solution.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Ok, Wing, you aren't fooling anybody with the alias.....Just stick with Wingfoot.
    Hey ifindit - That's funny..... I don't play games like "Justice John" using multiple handles to keep the pot stirred. I get into enough trouble just being myself. Luv Ya Man.

-----------------------------------------------------------

OK Mojo
    The Journal of Labor Research is giving a figure of 22.7% increase in wages. These are wages only. I do not get anymore 401K match, more medical or dental benefits, the fuel I use is no more expensive than the fuel you use, etc. We are talking wages alone. Everyone is in the same boat with decreasing medical coverage, pensions diminishing, 401 match falling by the wayside. All of this is in the big picture. The added costs for higher wages would be past on to the utilities. They would have to pay to have their plant protected.
    I have heard hundreds of stories about how the union just took my due's and did nothing for me, but I can also tell you that personally I work directly with about 40 union Locators that are all well into the $30/hr range with benefits and pensions but mostly a contract that guarantees they will not contract resource their jobs away. Great peace of mind for 1.5% dues.
    Good luck to all and I hope things work out no matter what side of the fence your on.

Years of Experience

Welcome to the locating biz Indy! Many folks have the opinion that they know what's best for contract locators, but as you can see, most of us have somewhat different opinions. There is only one piece of advise I can give, and that is this: take a good look at what your superiors tell you, and what is ACTUAL FACT. They are often quite different. If you find a way to make the job work for you and your superiors, it can be quite rewarding. But keep your eyes OPEN AT ALL TIMES. And question the senior staff about policy. Like the 40 hrs. during lean times. That certainly is NOT the policy in my neck of the woods, though it should be. Good Luck in your quest!

Years of Experience
    retired

Indy - don't get all freaked by the guys having it out a bit here. Locating is an important job, regardless of whom you work for. Have that in mind when you go for the interview, keep an open mind, and make of it what you will. It is sometimes gratifying, sometimes a p.i.a., but most times it is also dependable employment and you learn a lot about the utils around you. It may lead you to other opportunities (I got w/ the electric co. as an example) but that is all up to you. I started at $12 back in IL in 2002, I am sure it has gone up since then.

As far as unionizing, unfortunately (from what I know) one of the established unions occasionally get airs that they "own" what kind of work locators do and IF you and your compatriots were to unionize, you'd "belong" to one of them per some obscure rule in their bylaws. Good and bad, good being more $$ but bad because you'd inherit all their shortcomings as well. But they still want you to be in their union because that's revenue for their coffers. It's a whole level of business that you either "get" and support or know different and avoid the whole thing. Locators, to these guys (hell - to most of the companies, don't get me wrong!) are just a commodity... pawns, really. How it affects you is just bottom dollar takehome pay is all. Leave it at that.
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

To all who have posted:

Thank you soooo much for your input. I was not taken back by the noob moniker, that was just me kidding around. As for the poor schlep, oh well, I have big shoulders.
    I'm in no way thin skinned. Hell, I worked in a 911 center from 3 years with county police and with a Medical Disaster Team at Katrina for a month. I got skillz......

I really look forward to joining the brotherhood. My face to face is this afternoon at 2 PM. I will let you all know how it went. One of you brought up "damages". Are we talking equipment damage or some other kind?

Simper Gumby----Always Flexible

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast