Thread: doing my ride along for usic today

Default doing my ride along for usic today

i am new in your guys world but to me it seems like a great oppertunity although from reading threw so posts i have found on this web site i am skeptical any one have any advice for the newbie what can be expected besides alot of frustration and long hours witch is fine with me

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: doing my ride along for usic today

You will get people complaining, some just like to complain. Go into with a positive attitude. They may talk about team and family, but observe and see and then make up your mind. Mostly it is all about production. Company makes more money if you get more tickets done and the pres, vp and dm and sup's get bonuses. But forget all that because they are not the ones that get the blame or fired for damages. Take it one ticket at a time, do not worry what is on your board, let the sup yell and scream. I had a supvr keep telling me these others guys are blowing you away in tickets and ops, funny thing when it settles down, come to find these guys used power mode alot and cleared out tickets without going to them. to make up time walk faster back to truck, flinging flags and taking pics. Prints are a guide, until you locate that area always confirm, they will use prints are a guide and never assume if you get a damage. Take lots of pics and take good ones, will get you out of damages at times.

I just got done with class today and start fieldwork next week. Keep in mind they will still can in the next month. I saw 3 people get kicked out and it wasnt because they stupid. The final exam is a cake walk. Do not fail a test. You may get 3 trys at a test but once you fall behind its a snowball effect because then the next day you retake it with 2 other tests and fail them. If you get worried about an upcoming test and what to know what to look for drop me a line, I still remember fairly well but I don't have my old test book. If you study your butt off you will do fine though. Here is what I have learned in the last month.

The BAD: USIC is CHEAP! Your going to get junk tools, junk trucks, they preach saftey constantly but by no means live to there word, if you ever get hurt, wreck or something go wrong in any way its your fault. ALWAYS. You are going to have alot expected of you, there squeeze every bit they can out of you. They couldnt care less about you as a person.

The GOOD: There are plenty of people to get advice from when you need help, its in there best intrest to have you do well, there going to hold your hand for a while before they throw you to the wolfes, you will get all the overtime you want, you are going to be trained very well, if you get good at this you be among the best in your field and take the new skill you have learned to any part of the US and have a job.

hey isotopes where was your training class at? im in lake county and was just wondering? and do they give you a truck to get to your training classes?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Isotopes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caregiver View Post
    I am new in your world but to me it seems like a great opportunity. Although from reading through posts I have found on this web site I am skeptical. Anyone have advice for the newbie? What can be expected besides a lot of frustration and long hours? which is fine with me
    You will get people complaining. Some just like to complain. They may talk about team and family, but observe and see and then make up your mind. Mostly it is all about production. Company makes more money if you get more tickets done and the pres, vp and dm and sup's get bonuses.
    I just got done with class today and start field work next week. Here is what I have learned in the last month:

The BAD: USIC is CHEAP! You're going to get junk tools, junk trucks, they preach saftey constantly but by no means live to there word, if you ever get hurt, wreck or something go wrong in any way it's your fault. ALWAYS. You are going to have a lot expected of you, they squeeze every bit they can out of you. They could care less about you as a person.
    Guys! Guys! Guys! OMG..... STOP already! You NOOBs were not hired just to be cannon fodder for the higher ups. Where the heck did you hear that shit?

Yes, production is our livelihood; but production is not a focus applied to noobs. Productivity by a noob will come in due time.

This is the deal - When a noob is cut loose to be on their own in the field, the sup will set up the noob's ticket load with Routine tickets that won't get that person in trouble. The first few days production will give the sup a baseline on the number of tickets the noob gets done. Within a few weeks, the noob's production should improve. Then the noob will be given more challenging work. Then a new baseline is established and the cycle continues. Every level is done in baby steps.

If the noob's production does not show a steady improvement, then the sup will take steps to bring the numbers up. Again, baby steps.

A noob needs to focus on getting an assigned territory more than worrying about production numbers and faceless management types above the ranks of the area supervisor. Just my 2 cents.........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Guys! Guys! Guys! OMG..... STOP already! You NOOBs were not hired just to be cannon fodder for the higher ups. Where the heck did you hear that shit?

Yes, production is our livelihood; but production is not a focus applied to noobs. Productivity by a noob will come in due time.

This is the deal - When a noob is cut loose to be on their own in the field, the sup will set up the noob's ticket load with Routine tickets that won't get that person in trouble. The first few days production will give the sup a baseline on the number of tickets the noob gets done. Within a few weeks, the noob's production should improve. Then the noob will be given more challenging work. Then a new baseline is established and the cycle continues. Every level is done in baby steps.

If the noob's production does not show a steady improvement, then the sup will take steps to bring the numbers up. Again, baby steps.

A noob needs to focus on getting an assigned territory more than worrying about production numbers and faceless management types above the ranks of the area supervisor. Just my 2 cents.........

I know. I didnt say what I said because of what I was told. I have seen small tidbits already. And did you not read the GOOD: part that I put?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    I just got done with class today and start field work next week. Here is what I have learned in the last month:

The BAD: USIC is CHEAP! You're going to get junk tools - junk trucks - they preach saftey constantly but by no means live to their word - if you ever get hurt, wreck or something goes wrong in any way, it's your fault. ALWAYS. You are going to have a lot expected of you - they squeeze every bit they can out of you. They could care less about you as a person.

The GOOD: There are plenty of people to get advice from when you need help, its in there best intrest to have you do well, there going to hold your hand for a while before they throw you to the wolfes, you will get all the overtime you want, you are going to be trained very well, if you get good at this you be among the best in your field and take the new skill you have learned to any part of the US and have a job.

I know. I didnt say what I said because of what I was told. I have seen small tidbits already. And did you not read "the GOOD: part" that I put?
    Hey Isotopes - All I can say is Touché (acknowledgement of an an effective point in argument) - In retrospect, I could kinda, sorta sense where this thread was headed and I threw out a spike strip to slow it down.

Officer Using a Spike Strip or Tire Deflation Device

I did read "the GOOD: part" and I agree with your assessment.

I do, however, take exception with most of your assessment on "the BAD: part." I believe you are adding one and one and coming up with three. I will agree that USIC locators get squeezed pretty hard. And, locators are always guilty until proven innocent. That's just the nature of our business. Most people who hire on can't handle the CYA requirement needed to survive and move on.

Even with the "guilty until proven innocent," I love being a locator and can't imagine myself working in another trade. Luv Ya Man!

--------------------------------------------

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think people have a clouded picture of a typical work environment. This goes for most jobs, not just locating.

1) Working always sucks, thats why they have to pay you to do it.
    2) The only thing work and family have in common is that they are both disfunctional. (Your boss will never be your best friend)
    3) The Boss's main goal is to get the most ammount of work out of you with the smallest wage possible.
    4) The equipment you use is what will suffice, and not what will make the job easier or nicer.
    5) You will always had dill weeds above you and to the side of you, if your lucky even underneath you.
    6) Its an employee's God given right to complain about everything, even if they havn't seen anything first hand.
    7) It always has been, and it always will be your fault.

Now taking that into account, locating isn't much different then any other job, right? Except the stress, liability, painted shoes, calluses on the trigger finger, and the inability not to comment on other locators paint.

Mke

You know i agree with you mke although every job ive every had i found a way to love it and make it not suck so bad ive done quite abit of researce on it and all im finding is either you hate it or love it and alot of guys just like to complain about it whats more rewarding than putting in a honest days work sure some people can be asses about things but if everybody can just find a common ground and work together i think thats what its all about i know i have much to learn in your guys feild before i make assumtions but thats what its all about hopefully there wont be to many dillweeds to deal with but whatever there gonna be the ones ten years from now calling me for the answers

Years of Experience

Hey Noobs ( and vets as well), my 2 cents FWIW.

Every company, and every location is different. Worry about things when there is a reason to, and when it is affecting YOU. No one has all the answers. That goes double for the vets.

Spell check. Use it like you would toilet paper, makeup, a toothbrush etc. People really will make judgements about you based on appearances.

Good luck, and be careful out there!

Years of Experience
    17 years

Most of the advice here doesn't cover noobs. You can forget that if you've been around awhile. Most of the descriptions of locating really describe the work AFTER the honeymoon. Once you become a vet is when they start squeezing. Enjoy it while it lasts. You'll either learn to love it or to hate it and that will depend on your area and your co workers.
    CYA use spellcheck