Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By JonCrosby
  • 1 Post By Wingfoot
  • 1 Post By CWVines

Thread: CWVines from Longview (NE Texas)

Years of Experience

Default CWVines from Longview (NE Texas)

Am a newb. Just want to learn as much as I can through reading and trying to apply in the field. Just around 6 months on the job. We had 2 weeks class and not even 1 week in the field. It's strange that I get most of my help through our competitors as we show up on same locates often. Our supervisor isn't much help. Any tips,tricks and advice I am open to. We use Subsite Electronics.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CWVines View Post
    I am a noob [with] 6 months on the job. I had 2 weeks class and not even 1 week in the field. It's strange that I get most of my help through our competitors as we show up on same locates often. Our supervisor isn't much help. Any tips, tricks and advice I am open too. We use Subsite Electronics.
    Greetings CWVines! I welcome your membership to the Cable Vine! You came to the right place for answers to all your locate questions and get ideas to iron out problems you may encounter in the field. Hopefully you will join us for some fun participating in other threads on the'Vine.

I am surprised after reading your post about CIG's lack of training for their new hires. According to the CIG website, training is a priority: “Training is ongoing, not just on hire. Our training program integrates into the system to ensure the technician has the proper training and that the training is current.”

It is my understanding the good ol' boyz of CIG are the left overs of the defunct Consolidated Utility Services, Inc. (CUS) after their buyout by United States Infrastructure Corporation (USIC).

USIC absorbed all the CUS locators with the buyout. Trusting the input from the CUS management team at the time of the buyout, CUS said their locators were fully trained and loaded with experience. Taking the CUS management team at their word, USIC gave the newly acquired CUS locators a 3 day training session, gave them a slap on the back, a swift kick in the pants and told them, "Good Luck out there and don't get anything cut!" 98% of those poor bastards never made it past 90 days in the field. Hindsight was those CUS locators needed weeks of training as if they just walked off the street. Hell, one was a 12 year locator for CUS and couldn't read............ Sounds like the good ol' boyz of CIG kept their old habits.

CWVines, you have a problem that can be easily fixed. First, ask your supervisor to assign you a 3 to 5 year experienced locator as a mentor that will be a good fit for you. Learn as much as you can from your mentor. Work together as much as you can. Wear your mentor out. Caution - Do not use your supervisor as a mentor. Supervisors didn't get that position because they were good locators. As a rule, bad locators become bosses as an alternative to them hitting the street. Besides, sups don't have the time to be a mentor.

Second, YouTube can be a great teacher also:

Check out this YouTube list for specifics on your equipment:

Without the swift kick in the pants, Good Luck to you buddy! Luv Ya Man!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CWVines likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: CWVines from Longview (NE Texas)

CWVines you got good advice from Wing. Remember his status is Senior Locator, he wears Depends and drinks Ensure so he speaks from long experience!
    CWVines and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

Tyvm professional locator and wingfoot. They don't have enough people to do that. And no mentors available. They can post things , but it's all b's. Excuse the language. I'm always ready and willing to learn. Thank you all again

Years of Experience

Supervisors make bad trainers also because most never come to the field and if they do, don't expect them to even get out of their trucks. Try and get a veteran locator with high quality ratio as well as better than average productivity. That way you get a good balance the company is looking for!
    CWVines likes this.

Years of Experience

Any feedback on Subsite equipment? Pro's or con's? Our supervisor is as worthless as tits on a boar hog. Sad to say but it's the truth. We were made all of these promises of how he could help through video calls on our phones. I'm losing patience. When I first started here end of December I was all gung ho. Was always up early. Worked late (130 hrs in 2 weeks). All eager to go. Now i dread getting up. It's all about production now. And I get that. We are only doing one way locates. About 5 weeks ago I was put on probation. Meaning restricted to 8 hrs a day . And had to make production 5 consecutive days to get off. Well my travel time between tickets avgd 15-20 minutes. I was expected to do 13 tickets a day. 13 tickets times 20 mins drive to ticket. So subtract that (260 minutes) out of 8 hour day doesn't leave enough time. Sorry. Just like the type of work. Guess I started for wrong company. But glad I'm learning on one way locates. Although some say AT&T are a pain to locate. Some say other wise. Dazed and confused. Glad I don't drink any more..... Sorry. Guess I'm looking for advice

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CWVines View Post
    My supervisor is as worthless as tits on a boar hog. Sad to say but it's the truth. [I am] only doing one way locates. My travel time between tickets avg 15-20 minutes. I [am] expected to do 13 tickets a day. 13 tickets times 20 mins drive to ticket. So subtract that (260 minutes) out of 8 hour day doesn't leave enough time. Some say AT&T is a pain to locate. I'm looking for advice.
    Greetings CWVines! Surely, you are still a floater; a locator without an assigned territory. (And don't call me Shirley!) I am not a Subsite user, so I can offer no feedback here.

I Googled Diana, Upshur County, Texas. I understand why windshield time is 15 to 20 between tickets. 39,000 people in a county as large as Upshur is sparse population. Even a worthless boss will cut you some slack on the 8 hour day restriction during this busy dig season if you do your very best on every ticket you complete; no sloppy work here. These first 6 months is the toughest you will encounter during your first phase of locating. Especially if you are being self-taught! (Not good! You need to change this quick!) The second 6 months of locating will become much easier and speed will naturally follow.

Even working a one-way territory, it is impossible to learn everything about the business of locating in 6 months. You need to learn the equipment (frequencies, direct connection, coupling, drop-the-box induction, bleed-offs), the prints, the plant (drops, spare pairs, cables, pair counts, fibers, conduit packages, manholes, hand holes, COs, wire centers, CEVs, crossboxes, V-rads, RTs, slick huts, emo cabinets, repeater-filters, load coils, laterals, dips, risers, sheathed, sheathless), the business of digging, terminology, develop a rapport by communication with professional excavators, recognize the requirements for shallow-dig tickets vs. deep-dig tickets and other important things that escapes me at this moment. Getting some one with more locating experience than yourself to work with you, all these things I have mentioned will be easily learned in short time. Trust me, be patient. What we do is not rocket science.

I, and many of your fellow 'Viners, have many years of “painful” (as you label it) experience with AT&T. During my past 20 years of locating, I have cultivated many AT&T techs and management types into what I can loosely call my friends. Keep the Cable Vine on speed dial for “painless” answers to your specific AT&T challenges. Luv Ya Man!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CWVines likes this.

Years of Experience

I will follow advice. So of those terms I am familiar with. Thank you for listening and the advice
    Wingfoot likes this.