Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Clean Cozy Desk To Field,help!

Years of Experience

Default Re: From Clean Cozy Desk To Field,help!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hi,
    I'm an emergency dispatcher and activity is so slow my boss asked if I'd like to go out in the field to locate. The position obviously pays more than my cozy desk will but is this job appropriate for a female? I never saw a female changing tires at GoodYears let alone locating. My other option would be a one call center 811 data collector. One last question, do you have to use those white construction helmets? Our offices give out hundreds maybe even thousands yearly and I have yet to see a locator wearing one. Only in pictures online and in our newsletters. Gee I hope not! That is one of the fears I have honestly. We can cut alot of wasteful spending by illiminating those hats.
    Hi Karen....... I enjoy the humor in your posts. You're right about the hypocrisy of the white hard hats. Locators are required to have them, but locators seldom wear them. And the hats were designed for men with no attention to details to include females. Sometimes there is no justice for locators - male or female.

--------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Hi Karen....... I enjoy the humor in your posts. You're right about the hypocrisy of the white hard hats. Locators are required to have them, but locators seldom wear them. And the hats were designed for men with no attention to details to include females. Sometimes there is no justice for locators - male or female.

How would you design a hard-hat differently for the female skull as opposed to the male skull? In general the inside (the part that fits on the head) is a simple plastic "basket" with holes used to adjust for size...while female skulls tend to be flatter at the top (biologic fact, no insults intended) I fail to see how that would have anything to do with adjustment for circumfrence.?.?

The crew I cut my teeth in was an anomoly in that it had 3-4 female locators at any one time, they never had a problem with the hats. Of course they weren't the type that would blow dry their hair for an hour...

I wore mine in underground situations or on construction sites requiring them. To do less was to ask for a revoking of insurance bennies if an accident DID occur. Kinda like not wearing your vest and getting hit by a car...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Actually there are helmets designed specifically for women for soft ball. They have a weird cut out in the back for pony tails. I don't know about hard hats but figured I'd just throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Actually there are helmets designed specifically for women for soft ball. They have a weird cut out in the back for pony tails. I don't know about hard hats but figured I'd just throw that out there.
    You chauvinistic pig!!!!!
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Sometimes there is no justice for locators- male or female.

I agree! Same old

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12