Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Clean Cozy Desk To Field,help!

Smile From Clean Cozy Desk To Field,help!

Hi,
    I'm an emergency dispatcher and activity is so slow my boss asked if I'd like to go out in the field to locate. The position obviously pays more than my cozy desk will but is this job appropriate for a female? I never saw a female changing tires at GoodYears let alone locating. My other option would be a one call center 811 data collector. One last question, do you have to use those white construction helmets? Our offices give out hundreds maybe even thousands yearly and I have yet to see a locator wearing one. Only in pictures online and in our newsletters. Gee I hope not! That is one of the fears I have honestly. We can cut alot of wasteful spending by illiminating those hats.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: From Clean Cozy Desk To Field,help!

The answer to your first question is yes. This is an appropriate job for females. Some of the best locators I have known are females. But, this job isn't for everyone male and female alike. It is a mental attitude that makes this job doable.

2nd question: I have a hard hat but rarely wear it. It is available only for when I go to job sites that require hard hats, or when you are working on the side of the road and some highway guy comes along with his hard hat, safety vest, and safety glasses on and says you need to do the same. That is very rare though but it happens.

Welcome aboard.

welcome to the Vine. Yes, there are a good number of females that do quality work. They pull their share without asking for abnormal help. It is a much different type of job than being a dispatcher. If you don't mind getting dirty, sweaty, bitten by a few bugs, feeling unappreciated, and like silent satisfaction for your work, then you will be perfect for this work. If you don't like that stuff, then reconsider.

The hardhats aren't required everywhere. For us, it's on job sites that require it (usually noted by a sign that says "Hard hats and PPE required" at the entrance, and when doing underground work (manholes). There are many different types of designer hardhats out there, and they aren't very expensive, under $50. You can check them out at most welding and survey stores, as well as some hardware stores.

Wag
    Years of Experience

What would you be required to locate in your area? Would you first go thru a multi-week training program? There you would find out more about locating, and if it's for you. We have very few female locators in this area, but there is nothing about the job that would keep a female from succeeding. Working outside is a huge mindset change from sitting behind a desk. Mentally preparing for the elements and nature of the job is not something to take lightly.
    And as mentioned, the "silent satisfaction" of the job is that although you're part of a team, and may talk to teammates often on the phone, you rarely will work directly WITH other locators, so you must be able to work well alone.
    I only wear hardhat when in an AT&T manhole or on construction site with buckets/backhoes overhead.

Years of Experience

yes females here are aprox. an average of one female per office...can be done!!!! hardhats in my state are for appropiate areas only not to be worn everyday in the field.....welcome Karen to the vine.....post and read often .....these days it is best to have as much exp. in all areas so you can be more of an asset to your company.....Godspeed to your future in locating!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I trained a female locator one time. The only complaint she had was some of the construction workers comments. They can be pretty crude.

There is no such thing as a mans job or a womans job in this field. We all do the same things and we have our complaints. Yet we do our job, some better then others but you get that in any job field.
    Do not look at this as a difficult job, IT'S NOT. Yes ther are days when you get dirty, B*&^$ed at by homeowners, contractors, sups and the like but you have a job to do and you do it.
    I know of several female techs that do a great job, but I also know of some that try to use their 'assets' to get the guys to do their work for them. The latter ones are no longer working for us.
    So give the field a try it can be a very rewarding opportunity. WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

Thank you all for your responses. I don't think I have what it takes for the job. I would be terrified opening pedestals and sod boxes. What if a snake jumped out! Oh god, I would faint on the spot. I don't plan to use the white saftey helmet. I may fall and crack my head on the curve while a snake makes it's way towards me. Just a big mess. I think I'll pass! I have an interveiw with Iowa one call center located just west of I-74 and about 8 miles from my house.

Welcome to the vine Karen!!! Yep nooo problem with female locators here, i think they are great. I was train by one 8 years ago, good times!!!! we got to be very good friends (I was getting divorce and she just broke up with her bf) now one of my best fiend is a locator i work with for 2 years. My girlfriend calls her "my work wife"

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sorry you have already decided against Locating, it is a nice job once you come to terms with all the negative aspects. Snakes, bugs, mice, rats, Deer, Elk, the occasional Bobcat, and of course Wasps, you get used to and you take certian precautions for. The biggest thing to overcome is you would be in a Male dominated industry, where there is little supervison. Between the comments and lack of respect... it is a hard industry and you would need thick skin and a stiff backbone to maintain at a certian level. But, it is worth a try.

mke

Years of Experience

Karen, Don't sweat it, you are smart enough to ask about the job before you make the switch and realize it's not for you. THAT'S a good thing! We have a couple women working for us, last I heard, 1 is still REAL good, the other 2 I know of are good and ok.
    Even if you are on the other side of the phone, stop in here! There is 1-2 dispatchers here now, (been a while) and it's good for ALL of us to get feedback from the other side.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Karen, if you are easily offended by a peppering of salty language here on this site, you DEFINITELY wouldn't like what you would read on the inside of the porta-john's on your average construction site. Staying in the office is probably a good idea.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Cmon now, some of that poetry is downright funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Karen, if you are easily offended by a peppering of salty language here on this site, you DEFINITELY wouldn't like what you would read on the inside of the porta-john's on your average construction site. Staying in the office is probably a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Darling, I actually thought of that!!!! What if I had to use the bathroom? Would I have to pee in those disgusting portables? Gas station bathrooms?
    Women's bathroom walls are pretty clean. I worried about the portbles. Wearing that helmet really traumatized me. I can't mess up my hair after an hour of blow drying it straight.

Years of Experience

are you kidding??????????????? the helmet!!!!!!???????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast