Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Canadian" locators.

Default Re: "Canadian" locators.

I'd be thinking 150ft between marks is indeed a bit wide. Maybe the locator thought you wanted a sort of pre-survey locate.. ya know where you might decide to go on the other side of the road or etc. Probably would have been best to have a site-meet, or even spend a full day (or 2 ?) together for the locate to be able to detail the tricky spots. I had a long rural locate once, the contractor designated a rep to me for the locate, and he in turn called in the engineer for some particulars (wasnt really required, but it saved us alot of time, and was appreciated).

Going off with an attitude isnt generally appreciated though. Everyone has their own pressures/etc.. no one's out there tryin to make other ppl mad, just tryin to get the job done with the constraints given.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by advanceMan View Post
    Hmmm..., Ok,

UG- Thanks, I am not Todd, nor am I into getting anyone in trouble, personally I thought the old guy story was funny

Ifindit- **** You
    6ft-Suck my balls
    Locatethis-Insult me, then ask me a question????/
    Spray-Rural tickets are able to be held on to and coordinated, no contractor expects that much work to be done in 2 days

Mke- I know what your saying.

AdvanceMan:

Was not looking to get anyone in trouble. Just wanted to see if there was anything that could be done to work with you guys to get the job done the way you want it done. Cannot do that without the necessary details.
    Personally have a good to very good working relationship with the majority of the contractors i see daily (a few are asshats - but that comes with the territory) and at times can smooth things over and get things done.
    I understand your need to know the number of lines that run into/out of/around or past each rural ped. I do a fair bit of rural stuff in my area so am often doing TELUS stuff. I know from first hand experience how frustrating it can be to come onto some one elses locate (from the company I work for) and recognize the work as being piss poor. There have been times when I have had to defend myself for taking 16 hours to re-do a locate that took the original locator 3 - 4 hrs. It was quick for them because they did not do it properly, or worse, did what I call a drive by locate...didn't even get out of their freeking truck.

I will leave it up to you.
    The offer is still open if you would like me to see if we can help you out.
    Last edited by underground quester; February 26th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    I'd be thinking 150ft between marks is indeed a bit wide. Maybe the locator thought you wanted a sort of pre-survey locate.. ya know where you might decide to go on the other side of the road or etc. Probably would have been best to have a site-meet, or even spend a full day (or 2 ?) together for the locate to be able to detail the tricky spots. I had a long rural locate once, the contractor designated a rep to me for the locate, and he in turn called in the engineer for some particulars (wasnt really required, but it saved us alot of time, and was appreciated).

Going off with an attitude isnt generally appreciated though. Everyone has their own pressures/etc.. no one's out there tryin to make other ppl mad, just tryin to get the job done with the constraints given.
    Designating a rep to deal with you, that is the perfect way to do it because you are dealing with the same guy everytime so it lessens the chance of any miscommunications. The problem I see most in our area is two-fold, 1: The contractors DO NOT know how to organize and prioritize their work, they simply want that they want when they want and will cry to whomever to make sure they get it even if they are in the wrong. Simliar to an infant or young child. 2: They all think locating is simply hooking up and painting so they have no respect for you and chew you out when you tell them it may take 4hrs to locate the entire job. This is most contractors, not all, but even the major ones in our area are sloppy as can be calling in 20 jobs at a time and only getting to 3 in their 21 day window. The proper way to handle any large job is to have a joint meet and exchange phone numbers with the head foreman who will be on site everyday and actually knows what's going on, not some truck jockey who drives around all day calling in mass quantities of tickets that his crews will not get to for at least a month.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Lol. ohh the anger.
    first. I'm not a contractor, I only work here. I'm not whining, though I bet it makes YOU feel good to think i am. I don't give a **** about anyone elses performance. The jobs get done one way or the other. I do have much experience in this area that can be transferred and applicable in most other situations. This is why I know how things need to be done. Whether you tards (no offence to anyone I don't have anything against) like it or not. If this makes you upset, you're an amateur, an idiot, and will always be only a locator.

second, if you can't do a mile a day you're a shitty locator
    These angry responses only lend credence to the idea that you're lazy cunts.

If anything i say offends you or gets you riled up, despite your quick nasty response, (which you presumably find satisfaction in and think are witty), YOU'RE a ****in' idiot.

This goes for
    Ifindit
    6feet
    beyond
    locatethis
    and anyone else lurking out there.

Sometimes I forget noone can see the friendly "jest' in which i compose my converstaions. How you perceive my writing is a testimony to your own intelligence. If you're just looking for something to jump on, like "ifindit", or "locatethis" whom is quite obviously only 14, you'll find it like he did. This would be typical of anyone using a Rottweiler to identify their personality. Some of you need to read a little better, and develop a sense of humour. In your case "Ifindit" you ****in' idiot, I would suggest you go and **** your Rottweiler a little more(give his ass a good lick for me), maybe you'll "findit" there.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

advanceman wrote:
    "This would be typical of anyone using a Rottweiler to identify their personality. Some of you need to read a little better, and develop a sense of humour. In your case "Ifindit" you ****in' idiot, I would suggest you go and **** your Rottweiler a little more(give his ass a good lick for me), maybe you'll "findit" there. "

Wow, even UDIC posts smarter insults.
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; February 26th, 2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Advanceman for President in 2012
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Depends on the conditions.

In a rural setting (isn't ALL of Canada rural? ) a mile is an easy bore/plow. Particularly since there isn't likely that many utilities in path.

On the same note, if it's rural a locator should be able to do a mile easy. I located lots of 2-4 cable 1 mile runs in 1-2 hours in a rural setting. Now if it's a high traffic easement, contractors really need to cut locators a bit of a break. I've done that before too. SUCKS!
    Did you assume that your locate was the only ticket the locator had to do that day or week He might have had 10 more tickets as long or longer. As far as rural locators having more time, maybe in Canada but not down here - A ticket is a ticket and a past due ticket is past due.

Yahoo, I'm sure glad you withdrew your comment b/4 I had a chance to react
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    advanceman wrote:
    "This would be typical of anyone using a Rottweiler to identify their personality. Some of you need to read a little better, and develop a sense of humour. In your case "Ifindit" you ****in' idiot, I would suggest you go and **** your Rottweiler a little more(give his ass a good lick for me), maybe you'll "findit" there. "

Wow, even UDIC posts smarter insults.
    Damn, this will teach me not to read all of the posts b/4 I reply!opcornsmile:opcornsmile:opcornsmile:

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Did you assume that your locate was the only ticket the locator had to do that day or week He might have had 10 more tickets as long or longer. As far as rural locators having more time, maybe in Canada but not down here - A ticket is a ticket and a past due ticket is past due.

Yahoo, I'm sure glad you withdrew your comment b/4 I had a chance to react
    psssst!! Hey Spray! I'm not the one that was bitching! Lol. Wrong quote.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I beg to differ about not being able to do a mile long locate in one day.

This years project is a complete overhaul on runway and taxiway. so it may be a mile long but it is about 1/4of a mile wide and I have to mark all utilities....and I mean all even the abandoned.

but I am a self admited lazy A$$ so you are kinda right.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I beg to differ about not being able to do a mile long locate in one day.

This years project is a complete overhaul on runway and taxiway. so it may be a mile long but it is about 1/4of a mile wide and I have to mark all utilities....and I mean all even the abandoned.

but I am a self admited lazy A$$ so you are kinda right.

mke
    Ouch.

That's gotta suck. Why on earth do they care about the abandoned? I never understood that. "Cus we "might" use it?".

I feel for ya man. Did a 11 mile for a new fiber run in a high congestion area loaded with HP once. Took FOREVER!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The good part is by the time construction starts we have usually marked the utilities a minimum of two times and we specifically mark the abandoned so the contractors don't get scared. if they come accross utilities that are not marked they usually freak out.

Its big but, its a blast fast paced, before you know it your day is done....unless there is night closures eeek.

I had a cross country fiber install one time that called in all 45miles from South county line to the north county line all on one ticket, and they wanted a 300' radius of all intersecting roads or R/W's the line traveled in. nice

Advance man, I was not saying that to you directly. The area I work in is quite congested, and 1 mile a day just will not happen. That's the type of project that I would have known about almost a year in advance. I would have had most things in place ahead of time. I have yet to meet ANY crew to do more than 2,000 feet (approx 700 meters) in a day. If you have to cross as much crap as I usually mark, then you'll spend more than half your time hand exposing; then your down to about 1,000 feet per day. The comment made on that post would be my typical remark to a contractor who said they could get a mile done in a day. In 10 years, I have yet to see it done.

Apparently you don't have a sense of humor also, and I'm not going to dignify the rest of your remarks. I believe you have some growing up to do.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

hey BH you always bring out the best in people!!!!!! hahahhahah

i think next time we will ask him to be more specific!!!! hahahhahahha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Like I said before whaaa whaaa somebody call whiiiiiine 11 and get a whaaaaambulance over here right away. Suck it, you're a litttle beeeeaaatch like the rest of 'em. And yes Advance I am bitter, so what.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Well,I am definitely confused now RD, I was responding to Advance's all out attack on some of the other members and also to Yahoo about his comment.
    However, I don't want Yahoo getting pissed and cutting off the supply of Mudbugs to us Texas boys - also kind of like that Zydeco thing ya'll got going.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast