Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Canadian" locators.

Default "Canadian" locators.

Before I commence with another proclamation, I would like to say regarding the last thread on drug testing, though not surprised, I am thoroughly disappointed in all of you. RD, your smokes WILL be illegal soon(like in "The 6th Day), don't tell me you don't see that coming.

Anyway, This is only directed at "Canadian" locators, specifically Alberta locators. I just came back from up north, we're plowing a twenty click fibre run into a provincial park. Starting at a handhole, up the hwy for 12 clicks then into the park for the rest. There is at least 3 feet of snow in the ditch, I've not plowed in winter before and it's definitely more of a pain in the ass. We parallel the telephone fibre for 12 clicks and only cross a couple of piplelines and power/tel crossings. Fibre runs are usually easier to plow than copper, one reason is that they can plow the reel out without having to set repeaters every 1372m. This company does the opposite of my other, they plow first, then drill, then couple, then jet.

I got called up there for the usual reason, they didn't trust the first call guy. I get there, there is maybe one flag every 50-70 metres. No location around the barrels, alignment changes. This is bullshit.
    We need to know if the line goes up, down, sideways, backwards, inside out. Then we determine whether we drill under it(in most cases), or go over it, or avoid it all together, we can't do this without proper utility locates, even if we are just parrallelling it. We need to know where it goes around culverts, crossings and other obstacles. When all the locates have been completed then the best and most efficient method can be determined. 1 flag every 50-70m on 12 click one is bullshit. Yes, I know it's hard work, I had to do it for you. Especially without snowshoes, skidoos, but you know what..it's not my job!
    Apparently the old guy I was working with got in some altercation with the locator and the guy threatened to call his own boss and say he was being harassed. We are one of your major contracts........ that's going to go a long way.
    If you know a job is coming up, do it! Jobs like that don't have to be done for us in one day, but they need to be done! Give us a mile day, that's not to much. I KNOW that you rural locators can hold on to ticket longer than the city guys, so there is no excuse. You know especially with utilities, that if it's not done you're gonna hear about it, especially if it isn't done right, so do it right the first time. As long as we have that first mile, and you're well ahead of us, then things are fine.
    I remember getting those tickets and thinking "assholes", but the longer you procrastinate, the more unpleasant the entire scenario becomes. It's really not that hard, just do it!

Years of Experience

Default Re: "Canadian" locators.

Quote Originally Posted by advanceMan View Post
    Before I commence with another proclamation, I would like to say regarding the last thread on drug testing, though not surprised, I am thoroughly disappointed in all of you. RD, your smokes WILL be illegal soon(like in "The 6th Day), don't tell me you don't see that coming.
    Lol, you think they're going to give up all that free tax revenue?

And that situation SUCKED. It's locators like that, that give the rest a bad image. And people wonder why excavators look down on locators in general. You should have hunted him down and "explained" your feelings on the matter man.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Todd:

Please PM me the tkt number,date and the locators name from same tkt.

I will see if i can do something for you.

I am off on voluntary layoff until the end of March but will see if I can have lunch with the boss over the next few days. Cannot make any promises, but will most certainly try.

I suspect it was our company who did the rural locate???

A caring "Canadian"
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Advanceman wrote:
    "I am thoroughly disappointed in all of you."

Get over yourself. Your arrogance is sickening.

What the hell do you expect, a hearty chant of "DRUGS, HELL YEAH!"

F'in Idiot.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Dear AdvanceMan; Your my Hero, Can you please tell me more about your ability. I'm sure I can learn from your vast experience and dilligent work ethics.

Just Kidding, AAAaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

What are you plowing?

Sounds like a typical crybaby contractor. I guess it doesn't matter what country you're in, they all sound the same.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

I bet the original ticket called for locating the entire 20k within 48 hrs also!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hmmmm... 3ft of snow, two foot long flags....

This sounds horrible, but....

Contractors need to treat the locators with a bit more respect. Don't treat us like we are only on this earth to blame after your plow or bore runs broadside into another utility.

Break the ticket down into managable size, call in a meet on site and work with the locator. If it is a Rural ticket, the locator may not be out that ways all too often so he will probably mark it all one day, or at least try to.

Since your a locator, why are you not more understanding what the public locator is going through?

When I was trained, I was told to put paint down so a 5 year old can understand it. This bit of advice has held up over the years. We have to put things real simple for the construction guys, but they don't meet us half way. Blanket locates, extremely long mainline installs, short notice, even wrong instructions, and we are supposed to help you guys out more?

work with us, not against us.

Hmmm..., Ok,

UG- Thanks, I am not Todd, nor am I into getting anyone in trouble, personally I thought the old guy story was funny

Ifindit- **** You
    6ft-Suck my balls
    Locatethis-Insult me, then ask me a question????/
    Spray-Rural tickets are able to be held on to and coordinated, no contractor expects that much work to be done in 2 days

Mke- I know what your saying.

Quote Originally Posted by advanceMan View Post
    Hmmm..., Ok,

UG- Thanks, I am not Todd, nor am I into getting anyone in trouble, personally I thought the old guy story was funny

Ifindit- **** You
    6ft-Suck my balls
    Locatethis-Insult me, then ask me a question????/
    Spray-Rural tickets are able to be held on to and coordinated, no contractor expects that much work to be done in 2 days

Mke- I know what your saying.
    Make sure you use the tissues with aloe vera for all your tears and nose blowing, they will help keep your skin from getting raw.That is my best piece of advice for you. F'in baby
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I bet the original ticket called for locating the entire 20k within 48 hrs also!
    it is crazy how much louisiana and texas thinks alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

i take back what i just said!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

A mile a day??? Are you completely F'ing stupid. I don't know to many bore crews that can do that without help. In your case, I'll mark once. If you want a restake, well, ...... um, ...... suck my left nut sack and make the right one jealous is what I would say if that is what was expected.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    A mile a day??? Are you completely F'ing stupid. I don't know to many bore crews that can do that without help. In your case, I'll mark once. If you want a restake, well, ...... um, ...... suck my left nut sack and make the right one jealous is what I would say if that is what was expected.
    Depends on the conditions.

In a rural setting (isn't ALL of Canada rural? ) a mile is an easy bore/plow. Particularly since there isn't likely that many utilities in path.

On the same note, if it's rural a locator should be able to do a mile easy. I located lots of 2-4 cable 1 mile runs in 1-2 hours in a rural setting. Now if it's a high traffic easement, contractors really need to cut locators a bit of a break. I've done that before too. SUCKS!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Sorry, forgot to say, I'm used to the concrete jungle. 1 mile would take almost a full day in my area.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast