Thread: Brand New, Applied (Usic) unsure....

Default Brand New, Applied (Usic) unsure....

hey everyone, I applied to usic for a locator position. I read all the horror. Only thing I'm concerned about is the training and the tools. 1. I'm in Illinois, far west. About 120 miles from Chicago and about 50 miles from Iowa. Small town. Where would I train? I couldn't go to a hotel far away for weeks. 2. Are all the tools provided? Or do you have to purchase them. Thanks for the time. As I can already read locators don't have much time at all

Years of Experience

Default Re: Brand New, Applied (Usic) unsure....

all tools are provided in most states ....not for sure about yours . more than likely your training will be at a hotel (far away) several counties away ....and will allow you to drive back to your house on the weekends . They will pay for your hotel stay and you may have to share a room . Welcome to the VINE.....it may save your sanity from USIC ....ha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Tools are provided for most guys, they are supposed to be anyway. Do you know for sure you got the job? Did you pass the final urinalysis and semen sample test?

I see you are 120 miles from Chicago. That's not a bad start. The farther you can get away from Chicago the better.

You've got other things to worry about anyway, like da Bears.

Welcome aboard Stokes!

did you get hired yet? so usic only has to fill 1,068 more openings before spring in 31 states and in canada? the locators are going to be screwed big time come spring if positions are not filled by then. maybe they should pay and treat their employees better and more would be encouraged to apply. maybe since you are so far weat in IL, mike stayton may come to your house and personally train you himself? make sure he puts his cones out and has all of his ppe on.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

If you are in like whiteside, lee, dekalb, kane counties or north you would probably be out of the rockford group. There main office was in lovespark/rockford. If they have them in stock you will get the basic tools needed to get into peds. the carrot stick, comcast black star wrench, nid/streetlight tool. They might still be giving out the 3lb sledge for getting into at&t frozen manholes. that is pretty much useless. Other hand tools you will have to purchase yourself. I suggest a good flashlight, head lamp gear. phillips and regular screwdriver. i use a 1/4 nut driver for the ground myself and use the phiilips as backup or when they use a pan head screw for ground or for repairing leads in the field. I also carry vice grips, 6-8" adjustable wrench, a 12' shank screwdriver as a back up ground or when need to ground a tracer wire. Good boots, your feet will thank you.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by paintitnow View Post
    If you are in like whiteside, lee, dekalb, kane counties or north you would probably be out of the rockford group. There main office was in lovespark/rockford. If they have them in stock you will get the basic tools needed to get into peds. the carrot stick, comcast black star wrench, nid/streetlight tool. They might still be giving out the 3lb sledge for getting into at&t frozen manholes. that is pretty much useless. Other hand tools you will have to purchase yourself. I suggest a good flashlight, head lamp gear. phillips and regular screwdriver. i use a 1/4 nut driver for the ground myself and use the phiilips as backup or when they use a pan head screw for ground or for repairing leads in the field. I also carry vice grips, 6-8" adjustable wrench, a 12' shank screwdriver as a back up ground or when need to ground a tracer wire. Good boots, your feet will thank you.
    Like Pain Tit Now wrote they give you the basics but at most firms you need to file out the hand tools yourself. Add to the list a machete, good for clearing brush away. As to the money spent on this tools, generally cheap stuff. That is becasue we concentrate on the job and hand tools tend to get lost. So a $5 hammer works as well as a $20 hammer and makes more sense. Add to the list a hand trowel and small shovel, some peds need their doors / lids dug out. A three lb hammer is okay for knocking loose manhole lids but a 4 or 5 lb is better.

Years of Experience

cClass will be in cedar rapids most likely . Leave on Monday am go home Friday pm maybe go home wed nite . PM me with any questions

Years of Experience

Semen Sample?
    I really hope you were kidding...
    With USIC you just bever know what they'll think of next. lol
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."