Thread: Belated Intro

Default Belated Intro

When I first showed up on the vine a couple months ago, I felt the need to remain as anonymous as possible. I was working for a very small contract locating company (as compared to the enormous company I used to work for), leading a small group of great guys most of whom are pretty decent techs, and was in the process of getting things lined up to start my own company early next year.

I won't say who I've worked for but if they've operated in central North Carolina in the last twenty years, odds are I've either worked for them or one of their predecessor firms. I've also spent a few years doing SUE work between Virginia and Georgia over the years, so I guess it's safe to say I've been around the block once or twice, but the longer I play in this sandbox the more I realize there's an awful lot I still don't know.

So what changed?

Let's just say I ended up on the wrong side of the room and the top end of the pay scale when the time for seasonal downsizing came around this year. That's what I was told at least - so the launch of my private venture got pushed up a bit. Not a big problem since just about everything was already in place. I was just hoping to ride out the winter with a more reliable income, but... whatever.

Anyway, that's me and what I'm about. Looking forward to becoming a bit more active now that I've got a bit more flexibility in my schedule and a more agreeable sort of pressure to deal with.

Peace
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Belated Intro

Hey, welcome aboard. Don't forget to enter your company in the Utility Locating Directory. I'm sure you will find others here who might be able to help you in your venture... or should I say adventure?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

You made a point I was trying to impress upon a former co-worker of mine who is in another firm. Their firm lost a couple of contracts and is set to lose one and perhaps another one come the first of the year. He is a top flight locator, experienced, always at the top of the production record and has an extremely low damage rate. He usually goes for years without a damage.

I explained to him that although he is exactly what that firm needs what they need and what they decide they need are not always the same. That he is in the top pay scale and someone behind a desk with a calculator is likely to figure it is better to hire some unskilled newbie at half the pay. They have layoffs, read more locators then contracts, coming soon.

This firm is riddled with so many damages that their damage investigators cannot complete their work in a 40 hour work week, arrive at the damage site sometimes weeks later and are still backlogged in damage investigations. They need people who can do high production and not get damages but someone already decided it was more profitable to poorly train the newbies, getting rid of their best workers would be for them a seemingly logical step.

Best wishes for your new venture, this is a hard industry to start up in.

That scenario sounds all too familiar Pro, been there, done that, and bloodied my head beating it on that wall way too many times, and you're right again in that this is a brutal industry to start up in - cut throat would be an understatement.

And I'll be sure to get myself listed in the directory right away, thanks!
    "You have enemies? Good! That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Years of Experience

Welcome aboard.

Best of luck to you in your new adventure.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the show.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia