Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Leak Detection

Years of Experience

Default Re: Water Leak Detection

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    G’Day Testtech,

Sorry to hear that you have difficulties with ground mic’s. Not sure of some of the terminology that you are using, but we find a variety of water leaks including:
    • Domestic property leaks – between the water meter on the boundary and the house.
    • Commercial properties – within factory units – the last one through a 12” concrete slab.
    • Many around shopping centers.
    • As well as fire hydrant services around commercial premises – these have to date been new installations that have failed the fire service testing prior to operation.

Most of the time we would be on-site with a plumber who is familiar with the installation, however if this is not the case then prior to “listening” for the leak we need to locate the service. Unfortunately many of our water services are PVC in construction and they need to be “rodded” to locate – do you rod PVC over there to locate???

Once you have the location of the service it is usually matter of “walking the line” a number of times listening and taking measurement every meter or so (yard). You can usually find the noisiest point along the line.

Another method that we use is to pump the line up with compressed air and listen for the air escaping. This I have found successful with small leaks in larger diameter pipes.

As you mention – wind noise and other ambient noise is often difficult to eliminate, but the “Aquaphone” has many frequency setting and usually with a little adjusting most of the wind noise can be eliminated. As for ambient noise, we usually do any commercial leak detection at night (2 to 3am) thus trying to find the quietest time possible.

I still feel that this is not an exacting art and practice is the key to achieving a reasonable result. We fully brief the customer of this prior to commencing the job, and offer a free return service if we do not find the problem.

Good luck
    Jeff
    Underground Service Locating
    www.provac.net.au
    The way I work, I use a ground mic only if correlation fails. So, it is possible I could find more leaks with the ground mic than I have. I will check with the ground mic after some correlations to see if I can hear the leaks. It would be interesting to know how the Aquaphone compares with the Metrotech, or anything else. It is hard to arrange from side by side demonstrates when an actual leak occurs.

I have had better luck through pavement than in soil. How are you listening in grass/soil?

Concerning plastic--fortunately, I don't get called for too many plastic pipe leaks. You are right-to locate, a transmitter must be sent into the pipe. I have not tried any of the thumper type locators that are made for plastic. I have not found anyone who has used and would recommend one of these. Eventually, I will give one a try.

On the metal pipe systems I find nearly all of the leaks. I think I had two plastic system leaks in 2008. I found one.

listening works best in residential settings, and when clay or pvc pipe is used. Many leak detection firms will work on it, or come to you and train your people. unitedleak.com does sit in the midwest. I think they do correlation, and line lcation, but they also listen for leaks in all sorts of pipes

Hi

This is a thread full of information and I got to know many things. I joined this forum for this only to learn new things and share my experience. thanks all for sharing the valuable information.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by johnandy View Post
    Hi

This is a thread full of information and I got to know many things. I joined this forum for this only to learn new things and share my experience. thanks all for sharing the valuable information.
    I couldn't agree more, this forum has helped me greatly.

Leakage can be of all kinds including sewer leaks and hidden water. From swimming pool cracks to plumbing systems, the smallest leak is fixed with the most sophisticated and advanced electronic devices - without bashing punctures in walls or digging up the yard and deck. Leak detection companies control to several leakages through plumbers. So we can say that leak detection is the mechanism in which plumber detect leakages and repair them. He also applies some techniques to prevent it. By the use of sensors and instruments leakage can be detected.
    water leak detection tools

Water leak detectors available today are of great help in finding a leak but using these detectors on your own can always not be helpful or that much effective. Therefore this task is easily handled by the Water Leak Detection System. You may approach the on in your area.

Water Leak detection systems, Raychem system, mapped and zone water leak detection. Water Leak Detection can be simple or complex but always requires careful consideration towards the application that allows access to the tape long after the construction teams have completed their works.

Water Leak Detection Systems

Years of Experience

You can hire Pool Leak repair service to do a leak detection and they can pinpoint you in about a square foot of where the pipe is actually leaking from. Used to do this when I worked for a pool service company quite a few years back. Plug every return, drain, skimmers everything and pressurize the lines and use a listening device to find the exact spot of the leak. Save you a lot Of trouble

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12