Thread: i want to buy.....

Years of Experience

Default i want to buy.....

ok i'm sure this is going to shake some things up....i'm sure i'm going to be told this can not be done on this site.....but...i would like to get some good info from my closest friends than from some guys on another forum that i have no idea who they are.... my question is simple and yes it has nothing to do with locating.....so stone me already>>>> i want to buy a blu ray player but i have a tv that is only hd ready ......will the blue ray player work on my tv.....?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default Re: i want to buy.....

You should be good to go! The HD ready means that in order for your TV to receive the HD you would have to have a Blu Ray player or another device such as a HD receiver or tuner capable of reading the HD signals.

For example, if you have Dish Network you will show HD channels on the guide but they will still be seen in standard def unless you upgrade to their HD receiver instead of the standard one. Hell, most network shows are available in HD now if you have a HD receiver.

I would recomend buying a HDMI cable to connect your TV and bluray player. These are capable of 1080p (the highest definition available) and will carry both your audio and video through the same cable.

Years of Experience

thanks NOOT4ME....for your time on this issue
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Re: the HDMI cable.. dont get fooled by the sharp talkin salesmen.. any decently put together HDMI cable is as good as the premium cable. ie, a $30 cable is just as good as the $130 one. I think it was the CBC Marketplace team did a scope test on the in/out signals... absolutely no diff in signal out over the full bandwidth.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

so there's some cheap ones that are just as good?????

Years of Experience

so with the blu ray player ....will i now be able to watch my dish network channels in hd???? new question....thanks for your time guys...!!!!

Years of Experience

I believe I got one from Wally World for $15-$20. The one that Sony recommends cost something like $60. No difference in specs. You do want to keep it as short as possible. 6-10 feet if possible.

There is no difference, except the price.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    so with the blu ray player ....will i now be able to watch my dish network channels in hd???? new question....thanks for your time guys...!!!!
    Unfortunately not. I am sure that dish net encrypts their signals so that you would only be able to view them with their equipment. If not I am not sure that todays blu rays even have an imput on them to allow it if it were possible (I just have a PS3 which has a bluray player so not real familiar with the others). It would be much like a vcr, when you run your catv through the vcr and then to the tv.

I bet there are some tech geeks out there somewhere that could rig something up to do this illegally but until blu ray and dish net or direct tv get some partnership there is to0 much money to be lost by the satellite co's.

Years of Experience

10-4 dude...thanks for your time!!!!