Thread: Want a Tender Turkey?

Years of Experience

Default Want a Tender Turkey?

Want a Tender Turkey?

Salt is the Secret Solution

Brining the holiday bird is easy and the results are juicy & mouthwatering!

How To Brine the Thanksgiving Turkey

enter

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Want a Tender Turkey?

I'm going to try this, this year. Will let you know how it went.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    30+

Steve, how has the beef jerky been going?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I'm going to try this, this year. Will let you know how it went.
    Steve - I would never try to trick you into anything. This is no joke. You will be completely AMAZED how tender, tasty & juicy your turkey will be on Turkey Day after the brine soak! You will know you are in for a treat the instant you start carving the bird! The juices will be flowing out of the white meat as the knife carves out the slices! You'll see!

I have never experienced a Thanksgiving meal in my life more TASTY than last year's brine-soaked turkey dinner! I ate so much turkey that I left the table HURTIN'!

-----------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Been brining our turkeys for 8 years now...makes a HUGE difference.

A few additional tips would be: skip stuffing the bird, use aromatics (apples, onions, sage, rosemary, etc) inside instead, cook the dressing in a separate pan; ignore the "pop-up" timer birds, use a good quality digital thermometer inserted in the bird instead, much more accurate and less likely to over/under cook; finally use a high temp blast for initial cooking to seal in juices and then finish baking at a lower temp.

Best recipe I've ever found, for brine and baking, is from Food Network's Alton Brown. Breaks it down to a science.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

4Q2
    Years of Experience

For the last couple of years we have been perfecting a TURKPHEASEER recipe aka Terrible Ted Nugent/John Madden style. It's chunks of Venison Tenderlions stuffed inside a couple of Pheasants stuffed inside a Turkey all personally killed by me or my brother. I am definately going to try soaking the birds in Wing's brine this year, game meat runs more muscle fiber than farm raised.
    Thanks, Wing!!!
    Me and my brother make this at his house, after the traditional T-Day hunt while pounding a few RED STRIPES (beer that is) and the girls cook a small Supermarket Bird and EVERYTHING else at my house for the kids and those who perfer, but our girlfriends both love the TURKPHEASEER!!

Yeah, I live in one of those houses where, basically, if I didn't look it in the eye and see it alive first I won't eat it.
    The girlfriend rarely buys any supermarket meats, maybe once a month. Veggies in season too.
    Wingfoot, tells me the G-MEN let the ranchers juice up the Supermarket meats with too many steroids, hormones and vacines anyway, killing us softly, killing us slowly, everyday. See Wing, you thought no one hears you, but I hear you, brother.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q2 View Post
    I am definately going to try soaking the birds in Wing's brine this year. Wingfoot, tells me the G-MEN let the ranchers juice up the Supermarket meats with too many steroids, hormones and vacines anyway, killing us softly, killing us slowly, everyday. See Wing, you thought no one hears you, but I hear you, brother.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!!!
    Stop it 4Q2! I'm getting a warm 'n fuzzy feeling and you're bringing a tear to my eye you BIG APE! Luv Ya Man!

-------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Steve - I would never try to trick you into anything. This is no joke. You will be completely AMAZED how tender, tasty & juicy your turkey will be on Turkey Day after the brine soak! You will know you are in for a treat the instant you start carving the bird! The juices will be flowing out of the white meat as the knife carves out the slices! You'll see!

I have never experienced a Thanksgiving meal in my life more TASTY than last year's brine-soaked turkey dinner! I ate so much turkey that I left the table HURTIN'!

-----------------------------------------------------
    Not for once did I think this was a trick. In reality I will not be cooking a turkey this year. My Mother will do that and then bring it over to the house with her. We are having a big pot luck Thanksgiving and Mom has the turkey this year. I told her about the brine last year and she thought it was a good idea so I reminded her of it this year. I also sent her a link to the article you posted. I'm serious about this but I don't know if my mom will actually do it. I'm gonna call her today and remind her to BRINE THE DAMN TURKEY.

My mother, bless her heart, is one of those people who has been doing things a certain way for so long that for her to do it differently takes an act of congress.
    "Change does not always equal progress."