Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Creole

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default Shrimp Creole

Okay, so here goes nothing. A guy from the frozen north givin you a shrimp creole receipe...

12 oz fresh or frozen, peeled and devined shrimp (large or medium)
    3/4 cup chopped/diced onion.
    3/4 cup sweet pepper (green, red yellow, it does not matter)
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    One 14.5 oz can Cajun style or Mexican style stewed tomatoes, undrained and diced (we buy the pre-diced ones).
    2 tablespoons FRESH snipped Thyme and celantro or, one teaspoon dried/crushed of each
    1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
    a dash of dried red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    2 cups hot cooked rice ( I prefer the wild rice mixtures)

In saucepan combine the onion, sweet pepper, celery, and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer covered for 3-4 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender. Do not drain.

Stir in undrained diced tomatoes, thyme, celantro, dried red pepper flakes, bouillon granules, sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Simmer, covered for eight minutes.

Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water, stir into skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat.
    Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.

Add shrimp and cook a couple more minutes.

Pour mixture over rice, or, on the side.
    Last edited by underground quester; May 26th, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Default Re: Shrimp Creole

No time to read it but I'm gonna get AdvanceMama to print it off. ANYTHING with spicy shrimp is good!

Years of Experience

i will get scap to whip this up and we'll let you know how we like!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    i will get scap to whip this up and we'll let you know how we like!!!!
    Okay, but be warned, Scap is gonna need a few beers first.

P.S. Got a receipe for scap as soon as I find the damned thing. "Beer Stew" its pretty darned good. Will post it when I find the safe spot I hid that SOB.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

I am going to try out your recipe! I'll post you mine, I've only made mine about seven times but my girl really enjoys it..She even loved it the first time when I screwed up the saute and didn't saute the veggies at all, so anyway. I'll make a different post with my recipe, after this one.

It always makes me feel good to see fellow people in the industry honing their cajun/creole cooking skills. To truly appreciate cajun /creole food you really should come down for Mardi Gras and goto this place in Metarie, Louisiana called The Quarter View. Picture a mom and pop style classy cajun restaurant with perfect service, the best food you've ever eaten in your life, and always great memories to go with it...I know it sounds like I'm advertising, but this is the one place I feel it's worth to drop 60.00 on my girl and I to dine and seriously believe it was worth it every time! I feel like the food is honestly so good and fulfilling that it gives me an edge while I work the next week and reduces stress! I think about it all during the next week... Anyway, if you ever go, get the Jambalaya Rolls as the appetizer, (you must get this, you just have to trust me. please.) for the main course get the Stuffed Trout... that is the best thing I have ever eaten, and my friend I say this with 100% confidence. Sorry for all the bold text, but when you start talking cajun/creole cooking you get me excited, it's the only cuisine I've found that has so many flavors that eating a meal is almost like a journey of different flavors, and it all sticks to the stomach oh-so-well.

Anyone within 100 miles of this restaurant, again, located in Metarie, La...should take a little mini-vacation road trip, leave early, come down and see our Zoo maybe and then goto The Quarter View...I guarantee you'll thank me
    Last edited by scap; September 21st, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

scap's shrimp creole

3 pounds of peeled shrimp
    1 12 ounce beer
    3/4 cup peanut oil
    1 heaping tablespoon bacon grease
    salt/pepper
    1 cup flour
    1 1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1 1/2 cup diced onion
    1 1/2 cup diced celery
    1 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    2 cans of tomato sauce (I use whatever is cheapest and comes in a glass jar)
    1 fist of garlic thinly sliced, or if lazy get the great value minced, and use 1/3rd of a cup
    1 1/2 cup fresh parsley (cut up pretty good)
    some shellfish stock about 1 -2 cups

in a somewhat heavy-bottomed large (need a big pan for this) sauce pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly then add about 3 ounces of beer to the soon-to-be roux while stirring constantly!... until light brown roux is achieved. Set aside to a burner on 'low' - In a separate pan, saute the onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic and the bacon grease. Saute em 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add the roux. Blend in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes with the vegetables. slowly add shellfish stock, stirring constantly until a sauce-like consistency is achieved. cook 15 min, stirring occasionally. When the stock becomes too thick, add the rest of the beer to the mixture. add shrimp, green onions and parsley then bring it to a medium boil, stirring constantly for 5 min. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over steamed brown rice with a dash of hot sauce.

If you do attempt this recipe, I hope you like to cook...because anyone who knows you made it that eats it will ask you to cook it for the rest of your life! Enjoy cvine!!
    Last edited by scap; September 21st, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

Years of Experience

Also, if you want perfect rice every time, just get a rice cooker. Aroma sells one at Target for around 30.00, actually I paid 30 but it was 41.99 I believe on sale...But I've had mine for awhile and no issues with it, every time I cook the rice it's perfect. It's perfect for a working person, you come home the last thing you wanna do is cook rice, something that's a pain in the ass to cook but extremely easy to screw up or not make it as good as it is in Lebanese cafes or good Chinese places and whatnot....This rice cooker gives you that perfect rice every time, I highly recommend getting one but don't get a cheap one! Spend 30-50 bucks I've had two that were under 20.00 and both broke within a year

Years of Experience

just got in from work.............yeah I know!!! making me sooooooooooooooo hungry!!! fixing to eat a bowl of cerial!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

nice yahoo, I love having strong mondays...generally every time I have a 14 +hour monday I am over 45 hours on Friday morning. I generally never work Sundays unless people or myself are hurting with high ticket volumes, and always work Saturdays

Years of Experience

have been working non stop day light to dark for about 1 month and half or so now or since the last holiday....!!!! the weeks go by so fast....

Years of Experience

gonna hit that 84 hours this week i can feel it!!!! mid 70's last few weeks???? love it!!!!

Years of Experience
    na

How bout drummin up some King Oliver Creole jazz instead...

Years of Experience

on the trumpet????

Years of Experience
    na

Well King Joe was a coronetist... but close enuff...

2 questions..

What are Jambalaya Rolls.. can you liken them to anything ?

Whats wrong with 5 min rice done in the nuker ? lol.. it does sound pretty ick, but the wife does this trick with the Uncle Bens 5 min rice and butter.. I dunno, pretty good rice to me.

Its possible Ive been perverted into thinking its good, but I know its sure tastier and less sticky than the majority of chinese food white rice Ive had.

Ok, Ill put a pillow on my butt now for the kickin Im about to get from the LA gang ..
    (May you live in interesting times)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast