Thread: Finn Pancakes

Default Finn Pancakes

Made these this morning (I make em for the fam once a month or so on weekends)

Need: 4.5 cups of milk, 2 Eggs, 2 cups of flour, coupla tablespoons of sugar, pinch of salt, butter.. syrup (get 15% real maple syrup blend.. its the best not sickly sweet but still good)

Put a frypan or 2 on the stove at medium high (6 maybe ?).

Get a big bowl, put in milk and beat in the eggs till they disappear, toss in a coupla tablespoons of sugar and a bit of salt (I usually do about 10 shakes from the shaker)..and beat the flour in there. Wisk until the flour is all blended. If you foam up the blend, let it sit a bit to settle down.. try not to

Keep your block of butter out by the stove.. put a small bit (I use a knife, but maybe 1/2 a teaspoon ?) of butter in a pan.. it should melt but not smoke/burn (too hot !), then pour a bit of the batter onto it.
    This is the tricky part, everyone's laddle's are different.. but ya want to keep it thin.. if you dont see bubbles/holes in the pancake then its too thick.. use less batter.. its okay to pick up the pan and swoosh it around just after you laddle in to spread it around. Dont fill the frypan. Once the edges of the pancake turn brownish, flip it over.. it should look a nice golden. On this 2nd side,its gonna take less time to fry.. so dont leave it too long. I use 2 frypans in an alternating kinda process. I flip em into a holding plate on an element on low until theyre all done.

Good idea to have some bacon on the go at the same time.. either in the oven (yum! but the wife doesnt like the mess), another pan or the nuker.

There ya go, my first recipe post anywhere.. lol hope that wasnt confusing.. my grandma from Finland used to make these things when I was young..I still love em...
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Default Re: Finn Pancakes

Sounds good. I think I'll try them tomorrow. It's gotta be better than the pancakes in a bottle that I normally make. They are quick though, just add water, shake, and pour in the pan.

BTW we make our bacon in the stove on a stoneware cookie sheet set at 400 for about 20 minutes and the bacon comes out perfectly flat with no mess in the oven.

Years of Experience

Golden...that bacon method is something I swear by for two reasons...one, it allows for easy collection of the grease in tiny garlic containers, to add to stuff like green beans or other greens, etc. I love my greens...sounds gross but a tiny amount of good quality bacon grease, (Wright's is the best bacon) makes greens 200% better....esp if u add garlic too...but anyway, the oven really cooks the bacon much better ...Only other place I'd cook it would be in a skillet by a campfire

I totally suck at cooking pancakes...I have always wanted to do something like thsi though because when I do make them, I can't stand the thick ones...I love them thin, crispy and buttery, and this is what this recipe appears to be
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Stoneware eh.. im gonna have to look into that.. all we have is the reg metal trays.

@scap with that particular mix, to get em 'crispy', it would probably start burning the things a little too much. YOu could play with the temperature tho, its pretty sensitive to it. I cook em just short of burning off the butter. Maybe try 1/4 of a ladle and swish it thinner ?

I shoulda done some Sun morning.. but I was lazy (well, ok.. hung..)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    (well, ok.. hung..)
    since i started locating, that's the story of my life.

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Try grilling a pound of bacon sometime. I use charcoal for grilling, and after I am done cooking everything else, I put the bacon in a metal disposable pan to fry it up. Once it's almost done frying, I put it directly on the grill. It stays there until it looks good to you. I prefer to cook the back until most of the grease is cooked off.