Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: When will you be able to go on a nice vacation.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When will you be able to go on a nice vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahLocator View Post
    I don't know what vacation means. Honestly, I'm sure a lot of you guys know how it is. You leave for two days and everything goes to sh*t.
    I'm with him.....
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Now if only the women at Bubba's vacation destination would take their tops off.
    Sometimes in the apres ski bars after several beers and a few shooters this has been known to happen.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

define nice???? does working weekends out of town count??? hey UGQ....if we come there for a vacation will you put us up.....?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    define nice???? does working weekends out of town count??? hey UGQ....if we come there for a vacation will you put us up.....?????

Sure would!!!!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

vacation UGQ...... not coming to work!!!!! hahahhahahha .................it sounds nice anyway .....oh well it's the thought that counts in my book....maybe b4 i die ...just maybe....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Looking at the Mayan Riveria this January with a group we travel with. Always a lot of fun.
    Try the El Dorado Royale Resort. It is Adults only.
    I travel to 9 NASCAR events every year. Back in the day we would pass out used tires at the end of Sunday's Cup race. A couple of the workers had an unauthorized souvenir tire program labeled "Titties for Tires." A "quick flash" got the flasher a free souvenir tire. Everybody else paid $10. Now there are no souvenir tires. A few of us workers found out that on Saturday nights, in the infield spectator motor coach parking area of most tracks, it's wide open party time. A lot more goes on than a "quick flash!"

My vacation will be in June at Oklahoma D-Day playing paintball for a week what a stress releife shootting someone and not going to jail and getting shot at as well but never realy been on one if you work as a locator in a winter month state you work all summer just to save enough to get through the layoff season of the winter and that is startting to get real old as I have been locating for 13 years now.

Wag
    Years of Experience

Hoping to go from here in Indy, camping in the Smokies for a week in June. Haven't heard y/n from my Supe yet, but I emailed him w/ 6 months notice, and talked to him about it w/ 8 months notice. Yes, my area may go to shit in that week, but I've missed the family camping trip 2 of the last 3 yrs due to having babies in late May, and by golly we're going this year!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Looking at the Mayan Riveria this January with a group we travel with. Always a lot of fun.
    I'm looking at Playa del Carmen for later this year. Winter sucks just a little bit more each year, and I aint been to Mexico in a while. Sippin some tequila and enjoying some mota. Hell yeah.

Who's in?

Years of Experience

Vacation? Ha, I highly doubt im gonna see one of them. i cover a 2000 square mile area and on call for that same area 24/7. So the chances of me getting off work for more than a weekend is slim to none. To those who do get the experience a vacation, I salute you..
    UULC likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

My company has a use it or lose it for vacation / PTO time. Plus you are only allowed to carry over 40 hours of your balance on the anniversary date of you hire. So I am off for the next two weeks. Nothing special planned just have to take time off or the company erases the balance and does not pay me for it. If they would increase the carry over limitation I would be at work.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UtahLocator View Post
    I don't know what vacation means. Honestly, I'm sure a lot of you guys know how it is. You leave for two days and everything goes to sh*t.

WoW! I dream of a beach vacation, but just as UtahLocator, I also don't know what vacation means. Time off for me means being punished before I leave, work related distractions every day I'm gone and being punished when I return. Example:

I worked 14 days in a row, which cumulated into an 80 hour work week that ended last Sunday night, just so I could take a couple days off. Everything in my stack was finally caught up Sunday night. I traveled to a NASCAR track for a Goodyear tire test this past Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

I had my work phone with me the entire trip and fielded questions each day from my replacements. I had Google locators working tickets in my area calling me daily on their challenging tickets. I have 3 major projects rolling in my area and I handled their concerns while I was at the track. My part-time boss doesn't like hearing my work phone ringing while I'm on his payroll. As long as I'm not on the phone while others are working, it does not become a big issue.

I promised the on-site foremen of each project I would address their needs upon my return on Thursday. When I returned Thursday (gone only 3 faking days) my "helpers" handed 22 past due tickets into my stack and 3 projects needing paint ASAP to keep their crews going. Now I will be working all day Saturday, and most likely partially Mother's Day Sunday, to get caught up from being gone those three days!

Working this weekend will allow me the time Monday to concentrate on the upcoming tickets instead of playing catch-up.............. just sayin'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yikes, Wing. I've never had it that bad. Maybe once or twice I could say I've come close.

As for vacation I'm due to take a vacation here at the end of the month. I'll tell everyone about it then if you are all interested.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm looking at Playa del Carmen for later this year. Winter sucks just a little bit more each year, and I aint been to Mexico in a while. Sippin some tequila and enjoying some mota. Hell yeah.

Who's in?
    It was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. Jose on the corner of 5th and 20th hooked me up... Good guy. Lmao... Going back this December!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    My company has a use it or lose it for vacation / PTO time. Plus you are only allowed to carry over 40 hours of your balance on the anniversary date of you hire. So I am off for the next two weeks. Nothing special planned just have to take time off or the company erases the balance and does not pay me for it. If they would increase the carry over limitation I would be at work.
    Well I got my two weeks off. Spent the first weekend working my locate supervisor job. Monday came and I slept all day. The rest of the week I was so physically and emotionally worn out I had to take sporadic naps. Brain fried and could hardly get the motivation to do all the personal things in my life an 80 hour work week caused to be backed up. The second week I could get my head and body together and got a few things done. On Tuesday I found my to do list still backed up but needed escape. So that night I threw various clothing items into trash bags and put them in the tool bin of my personal truck.

Five AM Wednesday morning rolled out south bound and 17 hours later arrived at a hotel
    I made some last minute booking at. Spent a lot of time at the beach and some time with my brother and his wife. Left midmorning Sunday and stopped at a hotel on the way back five hours short of home. Got in home area around noon Monday to be in place to go back to work Tuesday.

Now this weekend I:

Saturday and Sunday running techs in the field on mandatory OT.
    Am on call supervisor.

I had to mark tickets for at least 8 mandatory hours Saturday.

Am oncall damage investigator, unpaid, for the north half of the state of Virginia because they cut the budget and got rid of half the investigators / auditors.
    Expect to be unemployed by end of week because have two backed up damages could not go on due to having to do tickets Saturday and am not going to do today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast