Thread: Oklahoma.. "Ice Storm 2009"

Default Oklahoma.. "Ice Storm 2009"

Well... we left Monday for our "vacation" to OK for my stepson's basic training graduation. We decided to leave earlier than planned (about 2 hours) to get a jump on the approaching weather system coming through the plains. Once we hit I44 in MO the travel get very ... interesting... there were cars and semis in the ditches, and people driving like maniacs! We witnessed a trucker fish tail @ 50 mph and shortly after that we saw a SUV in our rearview mirror do about 4 - 360 turns in the middle of the freeway. We started dubbing those who passed us... "there goes the next contestant".

After 11.5 hours on the road, we stopped in Joplin around 8 pm to get bite to eat and assess our travel options. We decided to push through to Tulsa before we stopped for the night. We arrived 3 hours later. Now our trip ideally shouldn't have taken more than about 13 hours max. One thing I have noticed about southern MO and OK is that... THEY DON'T PLOW THE ROADS!!

We left Tulsa around 9 am and arrived in Lawton about 1 pm on Tuesday. The roads were nothing but massive slush pits. Heck on I44 the speed limit is 75 mph. We could only go about 40 mph through this stretch (which was pretty much our speed through MO also). The incline to the hotel was only about 20 degree slope, but it took us almost 10 minutes to get up that drive due to the conditions. All they had to do was plow!

Needless to say, we were looking forward to some warmer weather here and it has been cold and slushy most of the week. This is not the norm they say. We did have a nice time visiting our son, but we are leaving tomorrow with the forecast of 60 for the afternoon. I didn't get one warm day here! At least we should get home quicker.

I told hubby that it was a good thing my girls weren't planning on military careers as I really don't really want to spend another "vacation" going to graduations in places I don't have choice in location.

Next trip... warm and sunny with sandy beaches!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Oklahoma.. "Ice Storm 2009"

there ain't no sandy beaches in Louisiana????? as a matter of fact because of hurricane katrina and rita we have hardly no beaches at all!!! BUT.......we have mardi gras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Yeah Gypsy but Ft. Sill is SOOOOOOOO beautiful this time of year!

It is definitely more laid back than Ft Benning. It took us 30 minutes to get through there and here it was just showing ID and drive on through!

Ah the wonderfull memories of Benning and the dump of a city Columbus. Good times, good times.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Well... we left Monday for our "vacation" to OK for my stepson's basic training graduation. We decided to leave earlier than planned (about 2 hours) to get a jump on the approaching weather system coming through the plains. Once we hit I44 in MO the travel get very ... interesting... there were cars and semis in the ditches, and people driving like maniacs! We witnessed a trucker fish tail @ 50 mph and shortly after that we saw a SUV in our rearview mirror do about 4 - 360 turns in the middle of the freeway. We started dubbing those who passed us... "there goes the next contestant".

After 11.5 hours on the road, we stopped in Joplin around 8 pm to get bite to eat and assess our travel options. We decided to push through to Tulsa before we stopped for the night. We arrived 3 hours later. Now our trip ideally shouldn't have taken more than about 13 hours max. One thing I have noticed about southern MO and OK is that... THEY DON'T PLOW THE ROADS!!

We left Tulsa around 9 am and arrived in Lawton about 1 pm on Tuesday. The roads were nothing but massive slush pits. Heck on I44 the speed limit is 75 mph. We could only go about 40 mph through this stretch (which was pretty much our speed through MO also). The incline to the hotel was only about 20 degree slope, but it took us almost 10 minutes to get up that drive due to the conditions. All they had to do was plow!

Needless to say, we were looking forward to some warmer weather here and it has been cold and slushy most of the week. This is not the norm they say. We did have a nice time visiting our son, but we are leaving tomorrow with the forecast of 60 for the afternoon. I didn't get one warm day here! At least we should get home quicker.

I told hubby that it was a good thing my girls weren't planning on military careers as I really don't really want to spend another "vacation" going to graduations in places I don't have choice in location.

Next trip... warm and sunny with sandy beaches!

Don't like the weather in OK? Wait 5 minutes.

Seriously, in their defence, the OK ODOT doesn't have to deal with this very often. They DO plow (at least in Metro area) but it takes AWHILE. I believe the OKC metro area (LARGE area) has a total of 20 plows...maybe. They're at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to winter weather.

Anyways, it's gonna be in the 60's today, and 70's tomorrow. Just like the week before this one. Lol, you just happened to hit the one week when it is NASTY. Better luck next time!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Plows? I believe the only plows in Oklahomo are still being pulled by Mules - oh wait, those are Sooners!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Oh hell. There goes the neighborhood. Spray is trying to start a border war... With Oklahoma. Damn Texas fans.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Gypsy:

Since things started warming up a few years ago, we get a great many days in the year where the roads are covered with ice, or ice and snow.

Ocassionally, they plow or sand them but it can be pretty hairy driving some days. Then when you get where you are going, there is no where to park because of all the snow!

Think warm happy thoughts Gypsy.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Oh hell. There goes the neighborhood. Spray is trying to start a border war... With Oklahoma. Damn Texas fans.

I'm not starting it , just doing my part to keep it going!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Plows? I believe the only plows in Oklahomo are still being pulled by Mules - oh wait, those are Sooners!
    lol, your aiming yer feudal gun the wrong way.

I never went in for the whole football war. If people put half the energy into improving themselves that they exert in sports fanaticism, how much better off would they be?

Besides, Texas is still just bitter and can't stop crying!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Hell my team got torched by Texas and Oklahoma
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!