Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Are you "SOL" on your last paycheck?

Years of Experience

Default Are you "SOL" on your last paycheck?

Ok, so I know some of you are out there including myself that just recently have been screwed out of, or part of, our last paychecks with our last employer. Everything from screwing some on overtime, to just plain not paying people from what I have now heard. I can tell you this... I will not go down without a fight and neither should you. Lets see what the United States Department of Labor has to say about this. Oh yeah, then there is the state level. Plenty of avenues of recourse. If anyone has been through this before in the past and has any good info, please share with the rest of us. It would be much appreciated. After some research, I'm happy to know, I'm NOT... "SOL". And neither are you.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Are you "SOL" on your last paycheck?

Quote Originally Posted by J Rocker View Post
    Ok, so I know some of you are out there including myself that just recently have been screwed out of, or part of, our last paychecks with our last employer. Everything from screwing some on overtime, to just plain not paying people from what I have now heard. I can tell you this... I will not go down without a fight and neither should you. Lets see what the United States Department of Labor has to say about this. Oh yeah, then there is the state level. Plenty of avenues of recourse. If anyone has been through this before in the past and has any good info, please share with the rest of us. It would be much appreciated. After some research, I'm happy to know, I'm NOT... "SOL". And neither are you.
    Can be difficult but not impossible in all situations.

If they declared bankruptcy last I heard employees last in line to get anything and by then everything is gone.

If still operating in same state a good chance the state can eventually get you your money. But companies often go into a state as a 'new' firm. ExtraBig locating out of Georgia opens a new firm "WiscXtraBig" locating as a new corporation with the stock owned by XtraBigLocating. As stock holders they are not liable for the debts of that 'new' company so if it WiscXtra
    BigLocating goes out of business completely that can be the end of the line for responsibility.

If the business shut down and qualified as a 'plant closing' you are often qualified for extra unemployment benefits along the line of job training.

You are legally not owed for any 'floating holidays' but you are still owed for any vacation or Personal Time Off. The law allows these benefits to not be paid if you quit without sufficient notice and there is a written policy to this effect.

We had an employee quit without notification recently. Came to work late that day, Did two update tickets and all the rest the clear no conflict tickets. To get only tickets that needed him to freshen paint, if he did that much, and to do only no conflicts required him to intentionally bypass tickets he knew needed marking. Did this until after lunch time then drove the truck to gas station 50 miles from the office and left it there. This left all the tickets needing marking and due by the end of the day still in his load and redistributed at around 3PM which his co-workers had to stay late and mark disrupting their lives more than anything. Of course a supervisor and employee had to drive the 50 miles to get the truck before the gas station had it towed away. He caused as much difficulty as he could.

So this employee will not get any balance of time due and no, will ever get rehired by this firm and no one here will give him a good job reference. . Also same employee quit previously with two weeks notice. One week out found grass was not greener on the other side and asked to come back. His resignation was considered withdrawn and he allowed back with all benefits earned counting from his original hire date. The gap between his going and coming listed as leave time. Everybody thinks they could have been treated better but you can't get treated better than that.

As a tangent I am just saying if people quit without notice it is more trouble to their coworkers than the company.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Also as a tangent I have to say that it is good to give two weeks or more notice to your employer of resignation, but......

If an employer does not give two weeks severance pay to any fired or laid off employee then the employees do not owe the employer two weeks notice. Still it is good for their coworkers to give notice and I adhere to this myself. Also one's own self worth to be better than the employer is enough in itself to give two weeks notice.

Some employers have a reputation of termination on the spot upon receiving resignation notice, these employers are also owed nothing. My firm has honored the two week resignation. My office had one locator give only 4 days notice . There were some failed audits and damages in the past that made the Manger wary of this employee's performance. After one day of having them do minor errands that locator was let go. This same employee was a rehire who had worked for the firm before and had left with two weeks notice.

Years of Experience

Greetings J Rocker! Welcome to the Cable Vine! I wish you the very best getting what's owed to you.

Years ago I was let go from a good job for accepting a sizable hot check. I failed to clear the check through a check protection service used by my employer. The check bounced on Friday and I was bounced on Monday. I sat through my unemployment hearing and the twisted facts my ex-employer told the mediator at the hearing about my performance and actions lead to the mediator's decision I should have been fired with cause. My ex-employer made it impossible for me to draw unemployment for 6 weeks! That was a major wake-up call for me. But, through intelligent planning, I had 5 months of income in a savings account and weathered the many months it took to find a decent job.

I had small children then and I was afraid to be without medical insurance coverage for my family while I was looking for a job. On day one of no job (Tuesday), I applied for assistance through the state's Department of Social Services only for medical coverage for the wife and kids. I found out I couldn't pick or choose coverage. No income families receiving medical protection through the state for their children automatically get food stamps. Moms and dads got squat back then from the state for medical coverage while on state subsistence but still enjoyed the food stamps. I actually gained weight while being out of work........... just sayin'.

------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

J Rocker you are talking about synergy one locating not paying you all of the hours you worked correct?

This company has had a case opened against them with the united states department of labor last year, and the case has been settled out of court in at least one state so far with synergy one paying some of the unpaid wages out. Meaning Synergy One lost.

You should contact the united states department of labor in your area immediately. Synergy One is based out of north carolina and you will need to use a broad power scope of the (federal) united states of labor. You could try your state based department of labor but this is what the employees on the east coast ultimately had to do.

Make sure to save any copies of timesheets submitted or any emails or just ANY information that could be submitted as evidence. That will help the department of labor. Get the contact information of all of your friends and coworkers that have claims against synergy one locating and when you file your claim, put thier contact information in there so they can be heard too.

When you do make a claim, tell your local federal labor office that they should contact the north carolina federal department of labor, they have lots of research and information done on this company from the past 2 years and it may expedite your process.

Years of Experience

So j rocker did u get ur last check or what.