Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you a locator?

Default Re: Are you a locator?

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    First off, Sorry for your loss.
    Thank you, I appreciate that. We were married forever and since this last November I've been lost without her, but I guess I'll have to get on with my life, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I know its a pipe dream, but what do you expect from "just a locator".
    We can only hope and dream that someday things will get better. Locating could be a fantastic career, like I said I worked in steel mill for 11 years and they worked the shit out of us, but they also spoiled the shit out of us too and made us feel that we were an important part of the company. Can't say that about this one, unfortunately.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AZLocator View Post
    I've gotten very disillusioned with this type of occupation, and I've been doing this type of work since January 2006. Before that I worked in a steel mill for 11 years and never felt like such a bastard child as this job treats you, but unfortunately I moved to Arizona due to my wife's urgings and found this type of work at ELM Locating soon after I got here. My wife has since passed away from cancer and so I will be moving back to my state of birth soon, but ELM is not in that state but USIC is. From what I gather here they are not any better so I guess I'll research other options there. For all the stuff you are responsible for in this line of work, the pay and treatment you get are a joke.
    I was talking to a neighbor the other day and he asked me about job opportunities. He is a delivery guy for FedEx and says he wants something better. I told him about the high stress and long hours, he was interested in the OT. So most places you start out a $12 an hour and these days few people make over $20 and hour. He said no thanks, after three years with FedEx he can make $30 an hour.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I was talking to a neighbor the other day and he asked me about job opportunities. He is a delivery guy for FedEx and says he wants something better. I told him about the high stress and long hours, he was interested in the OT. So most places you start out a $12 an hour and these days few people make over $20 and hour. He said no thanks, after three years with FedEx he can make $30 an hour.
    I've had numerous people inquire about coming over to where I work these past few years. I used to easily refer this job and this company to whoever asked and was interested. I've not been able to do that for some time. In fact, the last time someone asked about this job and the company I work for, I literally sat stonefaced for nearly half a minute while I struggled to find a reason it was a worthwhile gig. I couldn't come up with one.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    When I left the steel mill I was making $20.19 an hour, it was non-union but we also had quarterly attendance and gainsharing bonuses to go with it. Plus all the other extra things they did to spoil us employees that wasn't afraid to work for a living. I have never approached that wage in this business, though my responsibilities are arguably on par or greater than I had at the mill. Everything at the steel mill was structured, had a plan in other words. This business is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants in everything it does.

The only selling point I can make for this job to other people is that it's a job, and they are kind of hard to come by these days in this economy. And if you can locate, you can always find a job somewhere.

I had a guy ask me the other day if we were hiring? I told him to stay in unemployment. A lot less stressful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12