Thread: "You don't call in. CRAWL IN." -Pat Dunnagan Sr.

Default "You don't call in. CRAWL IN." -Pat Dunnagan Sr.

Now, I'm not even going to lie. I have called in, and it has been a bullshit reason both times. I don't care if anyone from my office reads this, because if I were in management, I'd appreciate a person being honest if they bullshitted. Anyway...The first time, I lied and said that I was practicing Sambo with my neighbor, and I got my leg in a lock and sprained my ankle...(Ok, I'm just BS'ing, I told them I sprained it playing basketball. Which was bullshit. This was my 3rd month or so on the job, and I stayed up late watching some old movie called First Time Felon lol..., til 2:30 am, when it came on TV,... and in the morning, I didn't wanna goto work. Lol.) The second time, was about a month later, I called in and said I had a stomach virus and was puking, but I really wasn't. I just felt like staying home.....

Then, I asked my father, who recently retired after 36 years of service for AT&T, (He was supervisor of utility operations at the flannery office in baton rouge, la) what the biggest thing about his employees that he absolutely hated. He told me it was the guys who called in "periodically" and dumped their work on other people, because they were lazy. He had a few beers in him, so he was sorta being funny, and grabbed my shoulder and said, "Boy, you don't call in. YOU CRAWL IN!!!! Screw whatever you had going on the night before. Get your ass to work."

Ever since that day my father told me those words, I haven't called in a single time. I've called in twice in the year I've been employed at utiliquest. The words, "Don't call in, CRAWL IN!!!" were ingrained in my mind....and I've been SICK AS HELL on at least 3 occassions....But I just got off my ass and went to work- I may have clocked in at 7:20 on those days, but damnit, I got off my sick ass, and went to work. I'm no energy drink addict, but I keep 2 Rockstar Juiced, and 2 large redbulls stashed 'just in case' I have that shitty morning.....that way I have an edge to complete my day, and pump out some badass production. I have a great attendance record here. I wanna go a full year without missing a single day, lol :-) March 9th makes it 1 year for me. So, from march 9th '09 from march 9th 2010 I don't want to miss a single workday, and I wanna do that not because I want someone up top to think highly of me, but just for the pride, and knowledge that I'm the ****ing guy who gets off his ass every day, regardless of whatever personal shit I'm going through, TO GET THE JOB DONE. And not only because if I were an employer, I would seek that type of induvidual....but it just makes me feel good inside, to know I'm that guy who does that stuff....

Sorry for the long post, but anyone out there have guys you know, that call in like two or three times a month, (especially monday) when they have massive ticketloads? Sure, I mean, I can understand if your kid is sick, or wife is sick, etc. Family comes first, without a doubt!

but some guys call in (like I said, mostly on mondays) and it pisses me off because it just leaves our supervisor hanging. Regardless of what he has going on, he has to drop everything and run the important tickets & catch emergencies, lol, in whoever's area who called in. It's just screwed up...I know sometimes circumstances are there that are unavoidable, but when it happens on a Monday, 10 times a year, I think there is a problem.

I see it like this...I couldn't hack it in the fight game, so down the drain went my hopes and dreams of making money doing something I am passionate about. However, I'll be damned if I don't take pride in my own work and craftsmanship. Why? Because it's the next best thing to being passionate about what you do for a living.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "You don't call in. CRAWL IN." -Pat Dunnagan Sr.

I haven't called in sick in so long. The last time was about a year ago. I was deathly ill but I managed a couple half days before I went home. One of those days I worked half a day. Went home and took a 2 hour nap and went back to work. Man, I was a sick puppy.

Other than that, I never call in.

You've got my respect~

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I haven't called in sick in so long. The last time was about a year ago. I was deathly ill but I managed a couple half days before I went home. One of those days I worked half a day. Went home and took a 2 hour nap and went back to work. Man, I was a sick puppy.

Other than that, I never call in.
    see, that's the kind of attitude that just is the epitome of the american society. Industrious. Respect! My buddy came in with pink eye and a sinus infection the other day! I was like, 'Man, you rule.'

Years of Experience

"You don't call in. CRAWL IN." Word to your mother.

When a Noob calls in sick, no one notices. The first day a Noob gets his/her territory and then calls in sick, everyone notices....... I have been with USIC since 1997 and have been physically sick only 5 days; the first week of August, 2004, for an inner ear infection. Now my emotional and mental health is a sickness I struggle with daily...........

-----------------------------------------------------

I was told by my Dad that staying home doesn't make you feel better so you might as well be at work. The only time I have missed work in the last 15 years was when I was hospitalized.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

My grandfather worked three jobs to support his wife & seven kids and never missed a shift. My uncle has worked for a bread company for nearly thirty years and missed exactly three days, one each for the birth of his three kids. If there's work to do, I can be counted on to show up. I haven't called in sick in years. Even when there's been days I've requested off, I work ahead prior to being off so I'm not unloading my route onto someone else that's already too busy.

People that call off on a regular basis should be permanent floaters. That way it's more of a bonus when they do show up and it doesn't really affect the routes when they do get "sick". Even then, as you realize certain people can't be relied on you regulate or limit their hours and make sure to let them know they won't have a full week until they can show up on a regular basis.

I used to work with a guy on my crew that would hold over several tough tickets on a Friday (that were all due on Monday), not work the weekend to clean up his route, and then conveniently call off on Monday morning, dumping his crap tickets on some unsuspecting tech. One of my biggest pet peeves with this job is having to clean up someone else's mess.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    People that call off on a regular basis should be permanent floaters. That way it's more of a bonus when they do show up and it doesn't really affect the routes when they do get "sick". Even then, as you realize certain people can't be relied on you regulate or limit their hours and make sure to let them know they won't have a full week until they can show up on a regular basis.

I used to work with a guy on my crew that would hold over several tough tickets on a Friday (that were all due on Monday), not work the weekend to clean up his route, and then conveniently call off on Monday morning, dumping his crap tickets on some unsuspecting tech. One of my biggest pet peeves with this job is having to clean up someone else's mess.

I think I know who that guy is... I got screwed one too many times from that guy... and I also got a fiber damage off of it... Fortunately, it was determined that the Fiber was not properly locatable, thus, not at fault.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Even when there's been days I've requested off, I work ahead prior to being off so I'm not unloading my route onto someone else that's already too busy..
    THIS is another thing!!

If I am sick, I let my sup know so he can take what he can off my back, happened once for 2-3 days last year. THAT'S if I am dragging. If I just don't feel good? Oh well, deal with it.
    Big change from the way I was 15 years ago! lol

Years of Experience

i have not taken off very much in my past with any job.....i actually get bored sitting at home but when you're sick....sometimes rest is the only way to get better thus be better at the job you're hired for.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    Now, I'm not even going to lie. I have called in, and it has been a bullshit reason both times. I don't care if anyone from my office reads this, because if I were in management, I'd appreciate a person being honest if they bullshitted. Anyway...The first time, I lied and said that I was practicing Sambo with my neighbor, and I got my leg in a lock and sprained my ankle...(Ok, I'm just BS'ing, I told them I sprained it playing basketball. Which was bullshit. This was my 3rd month or so on the job, and I stayed up late watching some old movie called First Time Felon lol..., til 2:30 am, when it came on TV,... and in the morning, I didn't wanna goto work. Lol.) The second time, was about a month later, I called in and said I had a stomach virus and was puking, but I really wasn't. I just felt like staying home.....

Then, I asked my father, who recently retired after 36 years of service for AT&T, (He was supervisor of utility operations at the flannery office in baton rouge, la) what the biggest thing about his employees that he absolutely hated. He told me it was the guys who called in "periodically" and dumped their work on other people, because they were lazy. He had a few beers in him, so he was sorta being funny, and grabbed my shoulder and said, "Boy, you don't call in. YOU CRAWL IN!!!! Screw whatever you had going on the night before. Get your ass to work."

Ever since that day my father told me those words, I haven't called in a single time. I've called in twice in the year I've been employed at utiliquest. The words, "Don't call in, CRAWL IN!!!" were ingrained in my mind....and I've been SICK AS HELL on at least 3 occassions....But I just got off my ass and went to work- I may have clocked in at 7:20 on those days, but damnit, I got off my sick ass, and went to work. I'm no energy drink addict, but I keep 2 Rockstar Juiced, and 2 large redbulls stashed 'just in case' I have that shitty morning.....that way I have an edge to complete my day, and pump out some badass production. I have a great attendance record here. I wanna go a full year without missing a single day, lol :-) March 9th makes it 1 year for me. So, from march 9th '09 from march 9th 2010 I don't want to miss a single workday, and I wanna do that not because I want someone up top to think highly of me, but just for the pride, and knowledge that I'm the ****ing guy who gets off his ass every day, regardless of whatever personal shit I'm going through, TO GET THE JOB DONE. And not only because if I were an employer, I would seek that type of induvidual....but it just makes me feel good inside, to know I'm that guy who does that stuff....

Sorry for the long post, but anyone out there have guys you know, that call in like two or three times a month, (especially monday) when they have massive ticketloads? Sure, I mean, I can understand if your kid is sick, or wife is sick, etc. Family comes first, without a doubt!

but some guys call in (like I said, mostly on mondays) and it pisses me off because it just leaves our supervisor hanging. Regardless of what he has going on, he has to drop everything and run the important tickets & catch emergencies, lol, in whoever's area who called in. It's just screwed up...I know sometimes circumstances are there that are unavoidable, but when it happens on a Monday, 10 times a year, I think there is a problem.

I see it like this...I couldn't hack it in the fight game, so down the drain went my hopes and dreams of making money doing something I am passionate about. However, I'll be damned if I don't take pride in my own work and craftsmanship. Why? Because it's the next best thing to being passionate about what you do for a living.
    Not to be a downer, but your Father and others in the utility industry had jobs that paid well. retirement, and great benefits. Those days are over and now its a contractor's world."Ownership" of your job is hard to create amongst employees when security and growth is not a certainty. Locating companies are not long term planning, since budgets are structured for a contract of 3-5 years. How are you going ask those employees to devote themselves to you as AT&T did in 80's?

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by AntiQuest View Post
    Not to be a downer, but your Father and others in the utility industry had jobs that paid well. retirement, and great benefits. Those days are over and now its a contractor's world."Ownership" of your job is hard to create amongst employees when security and growth is not a certainty. Locating companies are not long term planning, since budgets are structured for a contract of 3-5 years. How are you going ask those employees to devote themselves to you as AT&T did in 80's?

What we need are the solutions we already know the problems???

I would nt want to instill a poor pitiful me employer attitude, because of being at the mercy of 3 n 5 yr contracts, on my workforce...But that does create management brainwashing/leverage on employees...

Still a reason for ORGANIZING a solution though ...

Quote Originally Posted by USICKurt View Post

I think I know who that guy is... I got screwed one too many times from that guy... and I also got a fiber damage off of it... Fortunately, it was determined that the Fiber was not properly locatable, thus, not at fault.
    That happened to me once. Well, it was a fiber that got smoked that was installed, 4 days after I marked the ticket, which was a 3000ft in each direction under-the-interstate style bore by Essen near United Plaza. Since the fiber was installed so soon, and wasn't even on the plat, I wasn't liable.

[B]It was a 144 Cox Fiber...[B] (at least a 40 thousand dollar damage right there if you're lucky)That's a bad hit to be liable for. Luckily since it wasn't on my plats, and they installed it after I had marked the ticket without telling anyone about it from our company, I wasn't liable at all. (What was also interesting, was how the fiber would not locate from a handhole, ring clamped in several different spots. Then one of the guys who installed it who was there, told me it didn't even have a sheath. Heh..

(for some reason I can't see the edit button)

just wanted to add, the type of work being done was burying some electrical things...It also got hit under the interstate, right next to a duct run that was a pain in the ass to mark, lol, ....i hate locating ducts or anything for that matter, when the line is underneath a steep slope such as under an interstate...

Years of Experience

I got busted BAD after calling in sick when I was younger. I worked in a hospital lab and each night during dinner we watched the same station for the 6pm news. One day it started dumping with snow, all day and night. Well I felt that snowboarding would be more fun than looking at someones blood under a microscope. I mustered up my best sick voice and was on the hill 45 minutes later. A different news station was at the ski area interviewing people and I happened to be one of them. 6pm live feed and my co-workers decided to watch that station during dinner. There is my happy, smiling face saying how good the powder was........the next day I got another two days off for my indescretion. Guess I really learned my lesson from that.
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!