Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are you applying for a locator job???

Banned

Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I've seen a few threads recently by people who are applying with their local locating company to be locators. I just want to give some advice to those of you who are applying for locator jobs. To better your chances of being hired you need to remember to do one thing. Actually remember to NOT do one thing...

DO NOT MENTION THIS WEBSITE. They WILL NOT be impressed. Not only will they not be impressed they will view you as a liability. Most management does not like this website. They don't want their locators reading this site and some have even been fired after being discovered to have visited this site.

If you are asked if you know of this website, LIE and tell them you've never heard of it.

You have been warned.

Then how come the locating companies solicit prospective employees on locatorjobs? Is that not your site? They are targeting us. Or atleast trying to. I wouldn't mention this site. In interveiws, if they ask, just say you came across it on simplyhired or indeed.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Paint and flag View Post
    Then how come the locating companies solicit prospective employees on locatorjobs? Is that not your site? They are targeting us. Or atleast trying to. I wouldn't mention this site. In interveiws, if they ask, just say you came across it on simplyhired or indeed.
    While the 'vine has a link to the jobs site the jobs site does not have a link to the 'vine. Readers of the jobs site need not know of the 'vine and it's forums.
    Still it does not hurt to search for an alternate access site to a job posted on the jobs site.

You can always say a buddy forwarded the job information to you in an e-mail.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

For the month of February, 41.47% of my traffic came from search engines, 31.29% from referring websites. Or, links on other sites (which includes links from e-mails) and 27.25% came from type-in traffic. I don't know really what that might mean to a prospective employer. I guess they can figure that half my traffic might come from thecablevine. Are the people that make their way to locatorjobs.com from the 'Vine' the troublemakers that management might be worried about. I doubt it. Most of the visitors are here to read and not participate.
    Then how come the locating companies solicit prospective employees on locatorjobs?
    I'd guess it is because we have over 2000 members signed up. Many of them are very qualified. It is the logical place to advertise a job if you are a locating company.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

I actually was told by a fellow locator not to use my real identity here. Then I got on and saw why. I love this site. If people want to know the low down on basically any company they can find someone or alot of someones here to get info.

And absolutely no corporate entity wants "free thinkers" with opinions... They are not so easily controlled and subdued by threats..

Years of Experience

there are alot of " big - shot " lurkers on here and as crazy as this may sound they openly leave their ideas to be read by all....you either agree or disagree....life goes on! sometimes you have to read between the lines!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

One major thing with this is that Everyone WILL NOT have the same experiences with EVERY COMPANY.

ALL companies have good and BAD aspects to them. Some are lopsided of course but one DOES have to be aware.

A company that CARES if you are a member of this site should send up a red flag off the bat. What are they afraid of??? What DON'T they want exposed???

That's how I see it, take from it what you will.

Dog

Thinking about applying for a locator job mid year. Wondered if age is an issue with getting hired? Am 52, but in great shape and believe I have the electrical background and experience to be a good fit. Any advice would be appreciated. Live in Indiana.

Thanks,

Dog

What, they hiring kids now. Just kidding. I was a good bit older than 52 and still got picked up by another company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Thinking about applying for a locator job mid year. Wondered if age is an issue with getting hired? Am 52, but in great shape and believe I have the electrical background and experience to be a good fit. Any advice would be appreciated. Live in Indiana.

Thanks,

Dog
    Stay the hell away from USIC. We are based outta Carmel, IN. This company used to be great when it was SM&P. Now that these corporate pole jockeys got their hands on us, the work enviroment has gone to shit. No one here gives a crap anymore about the locator. My team alone has burned through 6 new people alone. Longest noob lasted 3 months before running out the door due to all this corporate bullshit.
    Safety First Or It's The Hearse.

I am surprised that USIC has not bought this web site, so they can micro manage it to.

When is enough is enough? Today might be the day.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by overspray View Post
    I am surprised that USIC has not bought this web site, so they can micro manage it to.
    They haven't offered. One of the other 'viners offered to buy the Vine but I turned it down. Won't say who or how much.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I offered a steve a years wage for the Vine..... He was smart enough to figure out that i'm a locator so that equals out to $26.93 and a half rack of Pabst Blue ribbon.

Mke

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I offered a steve a years wage for the Vine..... He was smart enough to figure out that i'm a locator so that equals out to $26.93 and a half rack of Pabst Blue ribbon.

Mke
    Ouch!lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    They haven't offered. One of the other 'viners offered to buy the Vine but I turned it down. Won't say who or how much.
    It wasn't USIC 1 was it??? Can you imagine a Forum managed by him ?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast