Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are you applying for a locator job???

  1. #16
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    If you cant get into locating directly do to lack of related work experience, and you really want to pursue locating then I would suggest visiting your local utility companys and getting the names of the subcontractors that perform installations for catv, phone, or electric preferably... not water and sewer either to much chit involved there ...

    Id shoot for a cable tv drop crew personally...Eventually get piece pay and your own crew... Just a better future...(less physical and more profitable once you catch on)...

    Then you ll be gathering the experience applying what locating is about and a lateral move into locating should be alot easier...

    Just a little more insight in the pursuit of a locating career...

    Now who can i mess with on here???

    Lostit? where you at sucka?
    Last edited by USIC1; December 24th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.

  2. #17
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I take your whole statement as being contradictory-

    Why would (the local (???)) the same employers list employment openings on a directly related site with that heavy exposure if the management disliked this website???

    Also, I question who "local" refers to in relation to seeing a myriad of companys posting listings on the Locators Jobs site...

    As for the separation between "the cablevine" and "Locator Jobs" I dont see a distant relationship, and figured the listings were a DIRECT result of exposure to the related membership pool of the cablevine...

    I dont know???

    This type of questioning is why Im so loved by my management- fingering the same type scenarios...
    I like to play the checkmate scenario while amongst a group and always get the classic " I ll discuss that with you one on one later "...
    I like to find that questionable area that often gets kept under the carpet... You know, the touche effect...
    There are a couple of reasons.

    One is that any search engine searching for locator jobs will pull up the job site which is http://www.locatorjobs.com/ . On the job listing site there is no link or reference to this discussion site where the completely different URL is http://www.thecablevine.com.

    For the employers the job posting site is free so they do not have to pay to use it. They may dislike the discussion forum site but hey, free advertising.

    This posting thread was started by one of this sites administrators, I bow to their experience. If they say that in some of the locating companies reading this site makes you persona nongrata I am willing to bet it is based on experience.

  3. #18
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I take your whole statement as being contradictory-

    Why would (the local (???)) the same employers list employment openings on a directly related site with that heavy exposure if the management disliked this website???

    Also, I question who "local" refers to in relation to seeing a myriad of companys posting listings on the Locators Jobs site...

    As for the separation between "the cablevine" and "Locator Jobs" I dont see a distant relationship, and figured the listings were a DIRECT result of exposure to the related membership pool of the cablevine...

    I dont know???

    This type of questioning is why Im so loved by my management- fingering the same type scenarios...
    I like to play the checkmate scenario while amongst a group and always get the classic " I ll discuss that with you one on one later "...
    I like to find that questionable area that often gets kept under the carpet... You know, the touche effect...
    You are basing your argument on a false premise. Your premise is that if 'all who boycott one, will then boycott all.' That is not true.

    A true premise would be that 'some who boycott one, will then boycott all.' I think this is actually going on.

    Take a course in Logic at your local university. It will introduce you to many different types of arguments and how they work. I think you will like that class. It's like mathematics for the English language.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  4. #19
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    You are basing your argument on a false premise. Your premise is that if 'all who boycott one, will then boycott all.' That is not true.

    A true premise would be that 'some who boycott one, will then boycott all.' I think this is actually going on.

    Take a course in Logic at your local university. It will introduce you to many different types of arguments and how they work. I think you will like that class. It's like mathematics for the English language.
    Would THEY narrow down how to disseminate a point that was pronouned beyond comprehension???

    I can tell you right now anyone on the ball doing keyword searches online in this industry, can quite easily stumble upon, and associate both of these sites...

    There is the 50% association once this site is exposed, since locator jobs is categorized within it...

    I dont really see the missing logic... The logic courses would fall into the psychology arena, a limited dollar wise venture unless you spend your way up to master/doctorate...

    Any college courses worth the investment that would payoff in the future are dry and head hurters, so I ll pass for now...


    a minute later on another site used fuedal instead of futile and lost another bit of credibilty... dammit...who needs college when getting schooled is free surfing the web????
    Last edited by USIC1; January 10th, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

  5. #20
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Actually it falls within the philosophy category and is often called philosophy 201. Some colleges require you to complete philosophy 101 as a prerequisite. Otherwise it is a class a freshman can take.

    It is a very useful course, especially for someone who prides themselves on an ability to carve out the mis-logic of many arguments. Which, I'm sorry to say, you don't do so well. No offense.

    BTW... this rhetorical question:
    Would THEY narrow down how to disseminate a point that was pronouned beyond comprehension???
    makes no sense.

    and this point:
    There is the 50% association once this site is exposed, since locator jobs is categorized within it...
    was never under dispute.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  6. #21
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post

    Your premise is that if 'all who boycott one, will then boycott all.'

    A true premise would be that 'some who boycott one, will then boycott all.' I think this is actually going on.
    PRONOUN:

    The entire or total number, amount, or quantity; totality: All of us are sick. All that I have is yours.
    Everyone; everything: justice for all.

    Actually I think I do get it, but not without assuming do to the over use of pronouning...

    In response to my rhetorical logic-

    Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Would THEY narrow down how to disseminate a point that was pronouned beyond comprehension???
    Thats ALL= (adjective maybe a noun) I think???

    A little more clarity...
    Last edited by USIC1; January 10th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

  7. #22
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Since this thread as turned into a discussion of pronouns, synonyms and perhaps cinnamon buns I was reminded of this guy....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxtN0xxzfsw

    Who i was surprised to find was still alive.

  8. #23
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    You missed the point entirely, USIC1.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  9. #24
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    PL... I did mention my site at an interview a few years back. I thought it would show them my dedication to the profession and that I wouldn't be a 6 month locator and then move on to a different job. I later found out after not being hired that it was in fact the website that lost me that job.

    Oh well, I got hired on with a better locating company so it worked out in the end.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  10. #25
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    PL... I did mention my site at an interview a few years back. I thought it would show them my dedication to the profession and that I wouldn't be a 6 month locator and then move on to a different job. I later found out after not being hired that it was in fact the website that lost me that job.

    Oh well, I got hired on with a better locating company so it worked out in the end.
    In this case, it could have been the presentation ???

    Something I happen to be very well versed in when it comes to interview interaction...

    Not bragging or anything of course...

    And it wasnt learned from any books or the classroom... It was more like-

    The Bosses- Born to Run type environments

    In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway american dream
    At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
    Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
    Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin out over the line
    Baby this town rips the bones from your back
    Its a death trap, it's a suicide rap
    We gotta get out while were young
    `cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run


    Okay maybe thats a little extreme, but for me I learned how to read people and master the mingle... You had to when many were walking around in various dispositions during the chemical era...

    Liable to end up in a dumpster if you didnt...

    So's I dont know what has happened with age... I ve kind of done a 360...

    But okay what was the point again???

    Yeah, what he said...


  11. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gillespie IL.
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Hay im really enjoying the read. I am about to have a third int. with USIC i have a construction back ground of 25yrs what can i do to make them believe they cant do with out me and im worth investing the training and time in. I have a great work history just not in locating. Would welcome all views exspecially some one with USIC

  12. #27
    Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,808
    Years of Experience
    20
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Stop by the chat room tonight at 8:00 Eastern and ask some of the guys in person.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia


  13. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    u.p
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    wow after a week of training my brain is fried . so much to learn .test after test . honstley never thoght it would be this envolved .

  14. #29
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    Quote Originally Posted by cheaprides View Post
    wow after a week of training my brain is fried . so much to learn .test after test . honstley never thoght it would be this envolved .
    That was the easy part.

  15. #30
    Senior Member AULupstate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    969
    Rep Power
    48

    Default Re: Are you applying for a locator job???

    I personally think that the cablevine and locator jobs being associated is a GOOD thing.

    Those of us here have the chance to show management from potential employers that we KNOW what we are talking about. We KNOW the ins and outs of the job and we KNOW the companies who lurk in the shadows and conduct themselves closed door style.

    For those of us who DO NOT CARE that our identity is public knowledge, again, it gives companies more of an insight to us and our personalities other than just a resume, application and phone/in-person interview.

    I was hired by a company who KNEW FULL WELL about me from this site. They appreciated my no nonsense, no BS mindset. As well as offering me the BEST position of my career.

    So you have to treat this as a double edged sword. If all you do is bitch and complain with-out adding insight and problem solving then yes it could be harmful to you in the future. If you are honest and sincere in your posts, good bad or in-different then that will shine through to potential employers and of course be a benefit.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •