Thread: would you hire him back???

Years of Experience

Default would you hire him back???

there's a friend who has locating exp that wants to come back to this business. he is in another state that has economy problems and massive layoffs . i'm thinking he just wants a job and is looking for something temp. only, but hard to say., he left the business with a bad taste in the mouths of sups. so my question is should i try to even get him in the door or just leave it alone altogther???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default Re: would you hire him back???

If you don't think he's a stand-up locator with the intention of being a long term employee and asset to your office.....I wouldn't.

When you refer someone, particularly one to your immediate office, you are hanging your good name on his performance. It may not be fair, but if he ends up being an ass, it reflects on you.

One reason I am always extremely careful as to my referals.

Just MHO...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Yahoo, is he an aquaintance or a friend? Friend being someone you hang out with, fish with, watch the game with, BBQ with etc.. Aquaintance being someone who you talk to but wouldn't trust around your stuff kinda person.

I myself would help a friend no matter what. An aquaintance would just get a phone number to call and it would be of a different company than the one I was working for.

Or just turn him on to locatorjobs.com and let him do it for himself.

Years of Experience

very good question indeed!!! an aquaintance is the better word and the son of a major client (at&t) supervisor of ours.......you see my struggles now????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Well if his dad doesn't think he is worth trying to get a job for At&t then should you??

Simple answer is NO.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Well if his dad doesn't think he is worth trying to get a job for At&t then should you??

Simple answer is NO.
    That's a good question and something to consider. Why would you go further in helping him out than his own family? Do they know something you don't know?

I've seen this one before. The child of a customers management team. I found this caused more problems. Not only does the customer want you to do more for them. If you have to fire their child; It will strain the relationship
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

All we have in this business is our reputation, if this guys not someone you’re willing to risk yours on I would do as AUL said.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post

Simple answer is NO.
    Yahoo, I know you on a personal basis now and I know how you feel about the whole trust issue, AUL has a great point about daddy. If Daddy hasn't helped this guy out you need to find out why before you stick your neck out. Just a thought.............
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Years of Experience

Hi, All. I am new to the site, but I have direct experience with this type of situation.

Yahoo...There are several things that you'll need to consider:

1. How familiar are you with this person's work ethic?
    2. What type of conversations will this person have with his father, if/when your company starts running with past due tickets in the summer? And, what will his father say if you're not meeting your contractual obligations?

Bottom-line....Think long and hard about this one. Also, if you have a good relationship with the hiring manager, talk it over with them. Good luck.

Years of Experience

A lot of telco companies will not allow family members to work in the same work center - if there is a death that means two or more people out at the same time. I have been approached many times in similar ways but have respectfully declined to put them on due specifically to the contractual relationship issue. I made an exception once many years ago, and kept having to explain to the employee who he REALLY worked for (seemed to believe he worked for my customer not for me.........). When I finally had to let him go, it caused some short-term friction but wasn't a show-stopper for the contract as a whole. It's a tough row to hoe, but I'd pass on a contact name and number and leave it at that.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've had a similar experience as OVUS, hired a client's son to "help him out", finally had to fire the kid.....created a great deal of friction with a client that referred a fair amount of work to me. I'll never do it again.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

thanks guys for all your input..i have made my decision ...will not help him no further!!!!