Thread: Working for USIC

Default Working for USIC

Hi all. New to the forum and I have a question regarding USIC in Michigan. I recently moved due to my wife getting a new job. I work out of town a lot so it really doesn't matter where I live, to an extent. USIC recenlty posted a job in my area for a locater. I'm thinking about applying but have seen some mixed reviews on here about USIC. I'm not really fond of being out of town every week, and its now starting to wear on my wife. I just don't want to jump into something that is going to be worse then what I'm doing right now (electrician). Any info you can give me on what its like would be great.

In the description it says you must be willing to work OT and weekends, which doesn't bother me, but would like to know more about it. Again, I don't want to get into something thats going to take me away from my family more then what my current job does now ( Monday-Thurs).

Years of Experience

Default Re: Working for USIC

------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Check it out: http://www.usicinc.com/careers.html

------------------------------------------------------------

Will if you live in northern lower Michigan you may be asked to live in hotels during the summer. If you live by Grand Rapids, Lansing ect. Your going to be working at least 6 or 7 days a week 12-14 hrs a day during the summer. As they do every year at this time, upper management told the locators in Michigan that they are going to over staffing the big city areas next year. Western Michigan has new upper management. So as western Michigan locators knows from the past the first year with new upper management western Michigan is going to be over staff. After the first year they start cutting the staffing numbers until the upper management just gives up and gets fired or quits.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

For locating in general you can expect to work extensive hours so do not be surprised by a 60+ hour work week.

Also everybody has to some extent cover "on call". Being a 24/7/365 operation we never really close. We only have a scheduled forty hour work week Monday thru Friday, other hours are required.

During on call, usually for a seven day period, you will be expected to perform all your assigned work regardless if the assigned work takes more than 40 hours. In your scheduled off hours you must respond to any after hours emergency call which occur at any time. It is not unusual to not get home for a day or two during the busy times. Pack clothes and items and be prepared to sleep in the cab of the truck. It is either that or spend the time driving two and from home only to get an hour nap before being called back out. If you live 30 minutes or more from the far reaches of your on call area coming home to sleep will cost you an hour of sleep for each call you take. Then you run the risk of falling asleep while driving. Fatigue becomes a safety issue when you are on call. Many firms tell you to go home if too tired from working after hours. But some firms will not reassign your regular work so when you come back to work you are disciplined for those tickets going into late status. I am fortunate that my current firm covers the work of an on call locator who has been up all night.

So expect to work on call for weekends and holidays. How often you go on call varies depending on the number of employees there are to share the duty. I have been where I get on call once every three months but I have also had on call once a month every month.

Each on call locator also has a "back up" on call locator assigned who will join in if work load becomes too heavy or take over you you are unable to perform your work. You will also serve time as back up.

Frankly if you want local work find a job as an electrician, you will make more money.

Years of Experience

I work in Wisconsin but every district seems to run a little differently. I'd say on average 10-11 hours days 5 days a week and Saturdays are optional in the summer months. Where I work we do work alot from April-October and the rest of the year is all voluntary lay-offs or 40 hour caps and alot of guys do this. If you are good with money and can bank some in the summer months then you can take layoff and spend extra time with your family over the winter.