Thread: Working outside area where you live

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Working outside area where you live

Just wandering how many people live in one area and work in another. Does another locator live in the area you work? I am wondering with today fuel prices, if it would be smarter to have a locator work the area where he lives.

Just my thoughts......

Default Re: Working outside area where you live

Doesn't matter for me because I now commute to work. And my area is about 15 minutes north of where the office is. Most of the locating fleet use Ford Rangers with a couple of minivans thrown in. Two of us drive Ford F-150's. My truck in particular has over 125,000 miles on it.

Years of Experience
    30+

What year is it? 125,000 miles is a lot. Do you have any problems with that many miles? How much down time do you have with mechanical problems?

Years of Experience

There are only two guys from our team that live in our teams area. Everyone else drives in from other areas. Noone can afford to live in the area we work.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    What year is it? 125,000 miles is a lot. Do you have any problems with that many miles? How much down time do you have with mechanical problems?
    Don't know what year it is. Have only used it for two months and no down time thus far. Seems to run pretty good, though. We have our own vehicle maintenance dept. Any problems, they fix it it. They also make sure our trucks are gassed up before the beginning of the next work day. And, it seems, I have new tires since I used it the last time on Wednesday.

Years of Experience

I live about 45 minutes from the area I work in. When I first started years ago I was told I'd only be in this area temporarily while I got me feet wet. Shortly after they saw how good a job I was doing and opted to keep me there. Nine years later I'm still in the same area and I love it. It's my baby.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

I had a nice comfortable area when I was with SMP. Didn't have to drive but 5 minutes and I was there. When we lost one of my team mates a couple of years ago I "inherited" his areas and still had to do my own area. All told , I was doing an area that should have required 2-3 locators to do.

Years of Experience
    na

Well I was doing this whole district myself at one time of aprox. ~ 10 locators

but was leaving a bad impression on other locators ,so conceded to

to allowing a few move into my territory of 50 sq miles 6 utilities in a large

downtown metropolis...

Last edited by USIC1; June 22nd, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Years of Experience

in my opinion it would be cheaper to have a person work the area he lives in ....will this ever happen for any company anywhere in the us or canada??????? don't think so...is it possible ...yes..

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    in my opinion it would be cheaper to have a person work the area he lives in ....will this ever happen for any company anywhere in the us or canada??????? don't think so...is it possible ...yes..
    With us probably about half live and work in their areas. The others, including myself choose to work elsewhere, or the company sends us elsewhere depending on need.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

i did work this area where i live for about 4 years or so and it was every man for himself ......then i heard there was a group up north of me that worked like a team and i decided to put a transfer in......and it was the best move of my life.....