Thread: Will I make alot less $$?

Default Will I make alot less $$?

I have been with USIC for 5 years.It's the only locating company I've evr worked for.Actually, it's the only job I've ever had. I hear that USIC is using Florida as a test state. All locators in florida are now on piece rate. Anyone else hear this? I'm making $15 an hr. My area is very rural. Alot of miles between locates.Will piece work pay kill my paycheck? We only locate 2 utilities.I average around 30 tickets a day.Thanks for the help. If anyone on here works in Florida and gets paid by the locate, I'd love to know what they are paying per locate.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Will I make alot less $$?

Quote Originally Posted by baa baa booie View Post
    I have been with USIC for 5 years.It's the only locating company I've evr worked for.Actually, it's the only job I've ever had. I hear that USIC is using Florida as a test state. All locators in florida are now on piece rate. Anyone else hear this? I'm making $15 an hr. My area is very rural. Alot of miles between locates.Will piece work pay kill my paycheck? We only locate 2 utilities.I average around 30 tickets a day.Thanks for the help. If anyone on here works in Florida and gets paid by the locate, I'd love to know what they are paying per locate.
    You need to ask some questions, they on piece work or pfp?

With pfp, pay for performance, your pay is set by the previous period's production rate, usually the tickets per hour of the previous three months. Pfp can be good, especially for an experienced locator. But an experienced locator in an area where they can do only a limited number of tickets can result in their being paid less than a one year of experience locator. Still pfp will usually have a bottom line they will not pay less than. If the pfp scale is fair you get an increasing amount of pay as your production rate, tickets per hour, gets higher. This is becasue once they cover the base expensive of your being there they get a higher percentage of profit on the tickets you do after you cover your base cost.

Piece rate is a flat rate, so many dollars per ticket. This can really suck to the point of your making minimum wage. Perhaps less than minimum wage as
    I have not looked closely into labor law on that. Overtime can be tricky becasue true piece rate does not pay OT but as an non-exempt employee they are supposed to pay time and a half after 40 hours. OT can be circumvented by working you as a subcontractor, technically an independent who is not really an employee, there are some firms that do this. If they do that they do not pay OT, you pay both half of Social Security and they do not need to provide you with any health insurance. You could expect to pay rental on the company truck (or provide your own that meets standards they set) and pay all gas.

Years of Experience

It figures since PT runs the state, as he is the so-called architect of piece-rate as it was in CUS in FL... if they run it anywhere near like CUS was running piece-rate in FL... grab your ankles son... If it is designed and implemented like the way I was on piece-rate in the midwest, then it could be a good thing... I was on piece-rate in a rural area and did quite well

Go OMERS, Go OMERS! Pay for performance is too complicated for your management team to figure out. Some do good and the others that you" need" suff er. You are a smart bunch of guys... why cant you figure out PFP?

PT and the whole group are snakes in the grass. This system was a scam at CUS and USIC is going to allow these idiots to bring this crap here. I know plenty of the techs at CUS and they say it sucks and PT is fullmof B.S.

PT is anything but a snake. Ask him and he might be able to help you understand PFP! If there is any manager at that company who understands the program it would be him.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by sniper113 View Post
    Go OMERS, Go OMERS! Pay for performance is too complicated for your management team to figure out. Some do good and the others that you" need" suff er. You are a smart bunch of guys... why cant you figure out PFP?
    I figure I'm at least as smart as the average fellow. Once it gets explained and is still too complicated for the average person to understand, it usually means you're getting screwed. It means they don't want you to understand. If you did, you wouldn't fall for it.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Some one at usic sat down and figured out the bonus thing comparing it to what he does now. It came out to a possible bonus of $200 every 6 months. Back when I was with them and the bonus thing was so out of reach. Then we finally got some guys in there where I group turnedit around an was becoming one of the better teams. You know back when there as teamwork still. We started getting bonuses regularly. then the next year they decided to do it per group. Never got another bonus. No way we could peer pressure a whole group to do it the right way

Ask so PT can feed me lines of B.S. Everyone in my district laughs at how much crap spews from his mouth. Keep your blinders on.

I have been against unions most of my working life, but with the way USIC is treating its employees the idea is seeming more and more like the way for us to go. These clowns like PT and his idiotic CUS crew need to be put in their place.

There are plenty techs speaking these same thoughts in my area.

No need for a union. Just hit them where it hurts, their pockets. Things will begin to change. The more they push, the less you do. Get it?

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Florida2012 View Post
    I have been against unions most of my working life, but with the way USIC is treating its employees the idea is seeming more and more like the way for us to go. These clowns like PT and his idiotic CUS crew need to be put in their place.

There are plenty techs speaking these same thoughts in my area.
    Poor management breeds unions. Most probably really want a union, it is just it is a way to battle USIC just keep on taking more from a locator and demand more. From reading post I do not think Florida is alone out there. Oklahoma seems to have a real poor management. It is possible they are watching and hopefully wholesale management turnover might happen. Illinois and Indiana was talk of unions. Either it was Minnesota or the Minneapolis area were to have a vote I think. Wisconsin I believe is watching it's sister states. I think when word of one going union it will be like a rolling snowball and gather other states quickly.

I talked to a few techs today and they are all for a union. It will be nice to see how this unfolds in other states. This idiot management team needs to get the boot and USIC needs to get a clue.

I would think the only thing worse that USIC would be USIC in a union atmosphere. I don't have a dog in this fight but I would recommend doing some research on the union prior to signing up. Talk to others in your company and see how much they got paid 10 years ago for starters.

Its funny because I have researched it. The unions will at least give the techs a say in the madness. Currently policy after policy is shoved down our throats and management lies and threatens us all. A change is NEEDED to combat these clowns.