Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would anyone want to be a utility locator??

Default Why would anyone want to be a utility locator??

Just asking the question.

Default Re: Why would anyone want to be a utility locator??

Locating underground utilities is becoming more of a challenge as the vast array of lines in the ground continues to increase. As the ground under our feet becomes more congested with utility lines, it’s vital to identify the location of utilities — gas, fiber, water, telecommunications.

Thanks...
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; December 20th, 2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Pay for Ads, Spamming is NOT allowed!

Notting better to do but locate utilitys...

Mke
    Years of Experience

I keep asking myself the same exact question. Havn't found an answer yet.

mke

Years of Experience

I enjoy the challange of the hunt , dont know why , just wwird i guess...lol

One word.... Insanity
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

You can legally huff paint and get paid for it?

Actually working without a paint stick causes you to bend over every time you spray. Puts you close to the paint and you always inhale a small amount. After awhile you develop facial twitches and have trouble focusing your eyes and I am speaking from personal experience. A paint stick is more than just speeding up the job, it is needed safety equipment.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Come on people, you know deep down you love it. It's a thinking person's job. It's outdoors and unlike most indoor jobs, you excercize your brain AND your body, it's not boring or repetitious. They can't hire a robot, a monkey, or a computer to replace you or they would have already. One sunny, beautiful 70 degree day makes up for the last two weeks of cold and rainy. You get to know all kinds people and learn from them. You get to be all businesslike on the phone with a contractor or home owner one minute and the next minute you're laughing it up with some shovel jockey who reminds you of Mater from Cars. There's no such thing as a "work station". You have freedom of movement. You're never stuck in one place for long. You use people skills but you are able to get out on your own as well. You don't have to shave if you don't want to. You can pee on anything you want if no one sees you. It's a juggling act and a multi-tasker's paradise. If you're trusted and management leaves you alone, it's better than most other jobs I can think of. That's why you put up with the hours. Otherwise, why would anyone do it for the chump change they pay you?

I love the challenge of trying to figure out how to be in 4 places at once! Ha ha! Especially when you have your day all planned out and the emergencies start coming in!

Years of Experience

i can say i enjoy the freedom but over the past year utiliquest in mddc and va has lost some really good leaders and have added alot of new managemenbt from director to vp and it has really faalin apart. supervisor, managers and most imnportantly employees are treat like crap and are miserable. hopefully some other company will get our contracts a nd we can start over with a new firm. Pushing for union in 2013

You hit it brother, from the dig side you can sure see it in the quality of the paint. No one helps when you call to check on tickets. Very frustrating.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    i can say i enjoy the freedom but over the past year utiliquest in mddc and va has lost some really good leaders and have added alot of new managemenbt from director to vp and it has really faalin apart. supervisor, managers and most imnportantly employees are treat like crap and are miserable. hopefully some other company will get our contracts a nd we can start over with a new firm. Pushing for union in 2013
    From your description the mistreatment has spread. It was the supervisors, foremen, that were the weather vane for us locators. You could see what was coming next by how they treated the supervisors. The supervisors lost their bonus money and the locators would lose theirs, the supervisors lost pay and the locators lost theirs. They usually cut the supervisors and then they hit the locators 90 days later. This way the supervisors could tell complaining locators they were just being treated equal to them. Now it has spread up the ladder to managers.

Premier has been moving down the east coast for years with the Washington DC area as their goal. They are now on the eastern shore and ready to move west deep into Maryland. Only compaints i have heard about them is that you have to be an insider to advance up the corporate ranks, but hey, where is that not? Seems the locators generally like working there and that is what counts.

Years of Experience

at a particular time in history...I think someone was just looking for a job (any job) and some stuck with it and some didn't ...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Yahoo that is FUNNY. I was going to give a completely different reply but when I read yours I realized that is EXACTLY what I did.

So, the question is... why do people stay on as a locator?

I have total freedom to do what I want, when I want. I just need to get the tickets done on time and have no damages. That is all that is asked of me. I sometimes wish I was in a cozy office when the wind kicks up and the snow and rain start flying but there are those days in the spring and fall when it is just perfect and you wouldn't want to be inside for nothing.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience

I replied half jokingly earlier. However, when I read Yahoo's reply it hit a bit close to home (as it did Steve). I was looking for a job that was better then working security at a mall that was about to close down. I fortunately had a brother in law that was worth a damn and he asked if I wanted a job. I inevitably sad "absolutely". 12 years later I'm still slinging paint.

I have been fortunate enough to find my way into a position where I have the best (and worst) of both worlds. I have office time and Field time. I am not at the point where I can pick to stay in the office when its pouring rain outside, but when the planets align (like last friday) I got to stay inside all day take a nice relaxed lunch and spend quite a bit of time on gunbroker.com looking for a holster for my self, and a pistol for a co-worker. And I still took off 2 hours early

As much as I joke, There is a long list of things I like about being a locator..... Unfortunately about half of them are because of my employer.

Mke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast